In the gym are you exercising your muscles or your mind?

Options
I have been in the weightlifting game for almost 28 years now. I was wondering especially for people unaware, where is your mind when you are working out.
I know most people have their mp3, ipod and all that to listen to when they work out, where is your mind focus?
I have always done my sets with total concentration of the muscle/s I am working out. Honestly you have to in order to stimulate them to the max. When i do chest, i concentrate on the muscles contracting in my chest, not my shoulders, triceps or anything else. I do not day dream, I do not look around at hot girls, I do not compare myself to other people. I am there to do a job and that job is for me. Next time I want people who have never faced the strain they put their muscles though to give it a shot, turn off your music and concentrate on that muscle you are working. Picture it in your mind moving they way it should be. Face the pain not being distracted by music. Enjoy the muscle mind connection. Unless you have never tried it, you really can't argue. I see so many people that could be achieving such greater results everyday with their minds in the clouds or on someones *kitten*. Again i am only asking you to take a look at how you relate with your muscles your training. NOT that my method is right, only way to go,etc. I live with an open mind and when a former World Strong Man introduced me to this concept, i had to try it.
IT HURTS SO GOOD!

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Because it's completely impossible to focus on lifting with music on?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think it probably depends on the person and what they're used to. I like to run while listening to music, but I can't do it while I'm lifting weights. Too distracting. I can't read or watch TV while running on the treadmill. Again, too distracting for me. But maybe my brain just isn't built that way -- I could never do homework with the TV on either, and I can't read when there's music playing. Sometimes when traffic is getting crazy I have to switch the car radio off.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I don't care to listen to music while strength training because I'm busy on form and counting and all that. When I'm walking, especially on the treadmill, my MP3 must be set to heavy metal. I don't know why, but thats the only way I can get through it. When I'm doing Zumba classes I must listen to Shakira on the way to and from.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Both. While lifting, I have concentrate on my muscles so that I know I have my form correct, the right amount of weight, etc... but between sets... well... hot guys win. :bigsmile: