Cardio fails to produce fatloss - interesting studies

Options
1235»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You don't want to do it, so don't do it.
    Simple.
  • Michele81287
    Options
    Were the diet only and exercise group eating the same amount of calories? I figure being more active would increase your total TDEE so you could eat more calories. I mean sedentary people have a lower TDEE then more active people so they have to eat less to lose weight.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    i do wish people would stop saying 'you can prove anything with research'. it simply isn't true and betrays a poor understanding of research.
  • wibblefps
    Options
    I'm going to fundamentally disagree with the OP as well. Given a balanced diet, nothing dropped the fat for me as well as running and cycling at a moderate pace for long distance. As others have said, a simple case of a good calorie deficit.

But it's still 90% eating right and 10% exercise (Just my own personal experience)
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    All movement is cardio to some degree...even weight training.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Got this interesting email from trainer Josh Marion today

Cardio fails to produce fatloss RESULTS. Are there health benefits? Sure. But you can get those same health benefits (and more) with much shorter, much more exciting, and invigorating workouts. More on that in a minute...

But first, here's what research has to say about cardio:

Utter AC, et al. Influence of diet and/or exercise on body composition and cardiorespiratory fitness in obese women. Int J Sport Nutr. 1998 Sep;8(3):213-22.

-In this 3 month study, women did 45 minutes of cardio a day, 5 days a week, and lost no more weight than those who dieted alone! Seems like a royal waste of time to me!

But perhaps this one study was a fluke? Nope!

Redman et al. Effect of calorie restriction with or without exercise on body composition and fat distribution. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Jan 2.

-In this study, subjects did 50 minutes of cardio, 5 days a week, and once again lost no more weight than those who dieted alone!

Well, maybe if they increase it to a full HOUR of cardio a day, SIX days a week, then cardio will actual product substantial results? No again!

McTiernan et al. Exercise Effect on Weight and Body Fat in Men and Women. Obesity 2007 June - 15:1496-1512.

-Over the course of this one year study, subjects performed aerobic exercise for 60 minutes a day, 6 whopping days a week (who even has TIME for that?) and lost only 3.5 pounds on average in an entire YEAR!

3.5 pounds of fatloss after an HOUR of exercise, nearly every day, for an ENTIRE year. Man, oh man, cardio really is the worst workout ever!

But as mentioned, there is a much better alternative, and that alternative lies in short, intense bouts of exercise.

In fact, a recent study published in the European Journal of Applied Physiology found that 15 minutes of a circuit-style resistance training workout elevated metabolism for a full THREE days! And that's only from 15 minutes!

Other studies have found similar results with interval style workouts as short as 4 minutes producing dramatically more fatloss than long, extended bouts of cardio.

Here's an example bodyweight, short-burst exercise routine that you can try today to boost your metabolism and your fat loss results:

30 seconds of bodyweight squats
    30 seconds of push ups
    30 seconds jumping jacks

Repeat 4 times.

That workout right there only takes SIX minutes and you'll burn way more fat than you will with those long, drawn out, boring cardio sessions.

But here's the real secret...

NO workout will ever help you lose fat unless you get your nutrition in order. Unfortunately, nutrition is an area where most people really struggle, and sticking to a "diet" long term can be near impossible.

Define 'exciting workout'...I DO find my runs 'exciting'...most important is doing something that keeps your interest that you hopefully won't quit...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Here's an example bodyweight, short-burst exercise routine that you can try today to boost your metabolism and your fat loss results:

30 seconds of push ups
    30 seconds jumping jacks

Repeat 4 times.

That workout right there only takes SIX minutes and you'll burn way more fat than you will with those long, drawn out, boring cardio sessions.

9d9a7673-a85d-4fb9-81cf-4a8d8a8acd33_zps7f1af6aa.jpg
  • JorisSt
    Options
    Intensive training is better. I love the video with Dr Charles explaining how to lose weight and get a flat belly fast.

Joris S.
    weightloss-tips.eu
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I know in my forties I could eat a lot, nachos, pasta, etc and never gain, never really watched what I ate, but I ran 25-35 miles a week. When I stopped and cut back on the running, I gained....seemed simple to me, I burned more calories running.

I love cardio for the heart benefits and endorphins but I always lose much more slowly and plateau without exercise...muscle and cardio...but you have to know your body, as my doctor told me, everyone is different, you do what works for you.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

NO workout will ever help you lose fat unless you get your nutrition in order. Unfortunately, nutrition is an area where most people really struggle, and sticking to a "diet" long term can be near impossible.

That is the real secret.

The problem with exercise studies is that many fail to control calories adequately or at all amongst the participants.

I think it is very much the case however that many people will think "I've run 60 minutes on the treadmill so I can hoover up everything in sigh without worry" or cardio can serve to actually increase hunger making over eating and therefore offsetting the "calorie burn" a real possibility.

As such it depends on the set up of someone's programme and diet (doesn't it always.)
  • jpanguluri
    jpanguluri Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns calories (just like any other exercise). Fat loss is achieved through calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This.

If not, why is anyone eating back their MFP exercise calories?
  • staceylcash
    Options
    My real problem lies in my nutrition. I work out every day and have produced such slow results in the past year its not even funny but its because i have such a hard time eating right every single day and sticking to good eating habits. Maybe i can get it together with my eating habits and start eating better. I dont eat too much, i just dont always eat healthy. Thanks for sharing this info! Very helpful
  • veggiebuckeye
    veggiebuckeye Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The results of my latest study shows that I am tired of studies.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I do cardio but i don't get any of that endorphins. I get sweaty and tired. I do it so I can get lean and cut calories.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Another study trying to debunk the truth. All exercise creates an increased caloric burn, with that (if diet correctly) creates a caloric defecit. With this comes weight loss....with this causes adipose tissue loss.....The trainer needs to go back to the basics.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Got this interesting email from trainer Josh Marion today

Cardio fails to produce fatloss RESULTS. Are there health benefits? Sure. But you can get those same health benefits (and more) with much shorter, much more exciting, and invigorating workouts. More on that in a minute...

But first, here's what research has to say about cardio:

Utter AC, et al. Influence of diet and/or exercise on body composition and cardiorespiratory fitness in obese women. Int J Sport Nutr. 1998 Sep;8(3):213-22.

-In this 3 month study, women did 45 minutes of cardio a day, 5 days a week, and lost no more weight than those who dieted alone! Seems like a royal waste of time to me!

But perhaps this one study was a fluke? Nope!

Redman et al. Effect of calorie restriction with or without exercise on body composition and fat distribution. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Jan 2.

-In this study, subjects did 50 minutes of cardio, 5 days a week, and once again lost no more weight than those who dieted alone!

Well, maybe if they increase it to a full HOUR of cardio a day, SIX days a week, then cardio will actual product substantial results? No again!

McTiernan et al. Exercise Effect on Weight and Body Fat in Men and Women. Obesity 2007 June - 15:1496-1512.

-Over the course of this one year study, subjects performed aerobic exercise for 60 minutes a day, 6 whopping days a week (who even has TIME for that?) and lost only 3.5 pounds on average in an entire YEAR!

3.5 pounds of fatloss after an HOUR of exercise, nearly every day, for an ENTIRE year. Man, oh man, cardio really is the worst workout ever!

But as mentioned, there is a much better alternative, and that alternative lies in short, intense bouts of exercise.

In fact, a recent study published in the European Journal of Applied Physiology found that 15 minutes of a circuit-style resistance training workout elevated metabolism for a full THREE days! And that's only from 15 minutes!

Other studies have found similar results with interval style workouts as short as 4 minutes producing dramatically more fatloss than long, extended bouts of cardio.

30 seconds of push ups
    30 seconds jumping jacks

Repeat 4 times.

when-no-amount-of-reasoning-will-get-someone-to-realize-they-are-wrong.gif
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    How come I'm not feeling the endorphins like every1 else?
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Diet/Changes in your food intake is for weight loss and exercise helps maintain those changes plus makes you pretty kick *kitten* =)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    In my experience, strength training can also help with endurance gains so again...I doubt those who focus mainly on strength training would just keel over from short cardio.

I don't doubt it at all. The gyms are filled with people lifting weights who flat out cannot complete a 5km run.

If someone can't bang out 5km, they are plainly and simply not fit. And "six minutes of sprinting" will not fix that.

One of the first dumb posts I've seen you reply with....

By your standards? Is there some universal standard?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    We are having a little outbreak of zombiethreaditis here tonight guys...