How many calories would you estimate for breading tilapia?

Plain tilapia is bland as hell, but when breaded it's quite good. I know the calories for the tilapia, which would be about 4.8 ounces == 132 calories (mostly protein), and I'm wondering if anyone can ballpark the additional calories after breading it? I realize it may depend on many factors including the brand, which I don't know, so I'm just curious about a ballpark estimate please.

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,331 Member
    I don’t think there’s just a random ballpark anyone can give with the info provided.
    What are you breading it with? Flour? Panko? Breadcrumbs? Cornmeal? Are you using a binder? Eggs? Milk? A combo? Are you baking or frying? Are you misting with oil so the breading browns? How much oil?

The way to go would be to weigh/measure the breading etc. before you prepare the fish and then weigh/measure what’s left and get the calorie count from there.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Those are all very good questions, to which I do not know.

Home cooking. Baked. That's all I know. My wife doesn't want to get bogged down with such details re calories, but for myself I'd like to have an idea, even if it's just a ballpark.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,777 Member
    Those are all very good questions, to which I do not know.

Home cooking. Baked. That's all I know. My wife doesn't want to get bogged down with such details re calories, but for myself I'd like to have an idea, even if it's just a ballpark.

Can't you at least ask her what she breads it with? Say it's so tasty you want to know ;) . Or watch, and say you might want to make some yourself someday. It's easy to tell cornmeal from panko from flour, or milk from eggs.
  • AnnaHamilton1644
    AnnaHamilton1644 Posts: 4 Member
    I use lemon pepper no breading
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    edited September 11
    Generally 150 to 200 calories depending on the bread/panko and of course it's generally part of a 3 step process of a breading station that starts with flour, then eggs and then the bread crumbs/panko, so you need to factor that in as well. Calories are a guess at best, and people believing the actually know how many they consume is fantasyland anyway, don't stress over it and enjoy your fish.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 502 Member
    Weigh all of your breadcrumbs first. Prepare the fish. Weigh the leftover breadcrumbs that didnt stick to the fish. Subtract to find the difference and the solution will tell you the amount of breadcrumbs that are on the fish.
    My guess- if you put panko on tilapia is at least 2 tbsp per piece.