Best exercise for lean legs

Options
I am 5'3", currently 151.5lbs (goal weight 125), and have short, big legs. I think the fact that my legs are short make them look even bigger. So what would be the best exercise combo to help lean out my legs? I am wary of building too much muscle there, especially my thighs. I *know* that women don't get body-builder big without intense training/steroids, but I did gymnastics and cheerleading as a teenager, and had a very low body fat percentage, but my legs were still really big due to all the muscle (and shortness of my legs).

However, I really have a pretty small behind, so I would like to get that bigger while leaning out my legs. Possible? I'm hoping! I try to isolate my rear as much as possible, and walk/run a lot in addition to that, but avoid leg strength training for the most part (I will use body weight as resistance, such as lunges, but am scared to add additional weight).

Does anyone have a success story on what combination worked for them?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce unfortunately. Your "body type" is part genetics. All you can do is lose the weight & exercise. It should get better. For many people it does even out..... but no guarantees.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    You and I have the exact same measurements, like to the ounce. I will never have lean legs - my body doesn't allow for it. However, I love my legs; they are strong and look good. They require a lot of work, so not strength training your legs is not going to do you any favors in my opinion.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Moderate calorie deficit + heavy squats and lunges.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You and I have the exact same measurements, like to the ounce. I will never have lean legs - my body doesn't allow for it. However, I love my legs; they are strong and look good. They require a lot of work, so not strength training your legs is not going to do you any favors in my opinion.

I don't understand that statement.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Leanness is a matter of body fat %.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It honestly sounds like you are wanting to change your body type, which is going to be impossible. You cannot spot reduce and you cannot affect how a muscle is shaped. You can make it bigger or smaller, but you can't change it's appearance.

Obviously, I don't know anything about your body other than what you described here, but as a 5'3" female with short legs (proportionally speaking), I can tell you that my legs never have and never will look "longer" when they're in shape. They look sculpted and strong and muscular, but "lean' isn't a word I would use for them.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Bad wording. My legs are lean by my standards, but not <20 inch lean. In my opinion, people that talk about wanting lean legs are talking about having slim ballerina-like legs.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Bad wording. My legs are lean by my standards, but not <20 inch lean. In my opinion, people that talk about wanting lean legs are talking about having slim ballerina-like legs.

Gotcha.

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

The grass is always greener...... I'm 5'2" and have toothpick legs, thigh gap and all. I'd love to have the muscled thigh showing in your picture but it doesn't matter what I do I still have stick legs!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    squats.

but there is a genetic point where you might not have "lean" legs.

I am with Michele... I have fat legs- even with visible abs and some vascculatity (GO VASSSSSSCULAR MAN!!!!) up top- I'm still "thick" down low.

It is what it is. I shooting for a 300 PR DL off the floor this month- so I'm okay with it.

:)

OP just keep working on cutting body fat. And keep lifting.
  • forbiddendonut
    forbiddendonut Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You all have me thinking. :) I will keep strength training, but only with body weight on my legs, and see what that does. I definitely don't want to cut it out completely, but I'm still scared to go too high on the pounds for resistance. Hopefully between light strength training, cardio, and a calorie deficit I will get my legs as "lean" as possible! I don't think I'll ever have a thigh gap, but surely they will look much better than they do now! (And yes, I would love a thigh gap. Thighs rubbing together hurts!)
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Moderate calorie deficit + heavy squats and lunges.

This!