What are you suppose to do when you're under but not hungry

Options
One thing that always confuses me. I usually eat about 1000-1200 calories a day (I'm usually 100 cals under but I usually leave that as a bumper in case I miss calculated something), but there are some days where I am just not hungry and I only eat about 800. Am I suppose to force myself to eat to reach my calorie goal?

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    peanut-butter-spoon.jpg
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    No

Assuming you do not have some eating disorder, in good health etc, no point in stuffing food down in order to meet some calorie goal

Our bodies have evolved over thousands of years to know when we are hungry, if you are not hungry, why eat?

That is one reason we got fat in the first place
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I will buy your extras. I really, really like to eat.

And seriously, it'd really, really difficult to get all the macro and micro nutrients your body needs on just 1200 calories a day. if you're coming in 200-400 calories under that, there's a good chance that you are not providing your body with an adequate supply of some nutrients (probably ones not listed on mfp). Not to mention it's really hard to sustain eating that little for the rest of your life. Try finding ways to add in more calories in foods you like. Or have a treat regularly. Something.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? unless you are rellatively short 5foot and a few then its not recommended you go below 1200 NET for prolonged periods of time, calorie dense foods are the way forward for you, havent looked at your food, but avoid diet food, go for full fat cheese, yoghurt, nut butters, whole nuts, food which will give you alot of calories for eating rellatively small amounts. Im sure you can fit in a tea spoon of peanut butter at 120 calories in mmmmmm
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? unless you are rellatively short 5foot and a few then its not recommended you go below 1200 NET for prolonged periods of time, calorie dense foods are the way forward for you, havent looked at your food, but avoid diet food, go for full fat cheese, yoghurt, nut butters, whole nuts, food which will give you alot of calories for eating rellatively small amounts. Im sure you can fit in a tea spoon of peanut butter at 120 calories in mmmmmm

^^^ This.
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    Roxanne_Hennessy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    No

Assuming you do not have some eating disorder, in good health etc, no point in stuffing food down in order to meet some calorie goal

Our bodies have evolved over thousands of years to know when we are hungry, if you are not hungry, why eat?

That's what worries me, I've had problems with Binging before and the thought of forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry makes me think of that horrible time in my life
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry do not stuff food down just to get it in, adding undue stress to your body that doesn't need to be done. Our brain can trick us into thinking its hungry. Not exactly the same story when it comes to being full.
  • Mokey41
    Options
    But looking at your diary you're choosing the low fat diet versions of foods which are cutting your calories back. Eat the full fat cheese instead of the skim milk cheese. Eat the whole apple or add some protein to your breakfast. You get a lot of your calories from junk as snacks that could be better spent on the same quantity of good food. You don't have to eat more to get more calories in, just make better choices on what you do eat.
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    Options
    But looking at your diary you're choosing the low fat diet versions of foods which are cutting your calories back. Eat the full fat cheese instead of the skim milk cheese. Eat the whole apple or add some protein to your breakfast. You get a lot of your calories from junk as snacks that could be better spent on the same quantity of good food. You don't have to eat more to get more calories in, just make better choices on what you do eat.

I make it throught about 1/2 -2/3 an apple and I'm just not hungry anymore.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    That's what worries me, I've had problems with Binging before and the thought of forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry makes me think of that horrible time in my life

Binging can be a consequence of not eating enough.

So if you're not hungry , don't eat. But if you find yourself binging regularly; then it's time to ask yourself if feeling full is physical or mental.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No

The problem is that post isn't true. Our bodies can dull the hunger response in times of famine. If you are chronically under-feeding your body, it assumes famine.

If you are talking about being that low once in a while, then no problem. But if you are saying it's a typical day and you always eat that low, it's not a good idea unless you've been advised to do so by a doctor.
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    Options

So if you're not hungry , don't eat. But if you find yourself binging regularly; then it's time to ask yourself if feeling full is physical or mental.

The binging portion of my life was from when I was 13-15, I was bullied in school and that was my coping mechanism.

I'm almost 23 now and haven't had a binging problem since. I just don't wanna be reminded of those day.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    eat-all-the-cookies.jpg

:-)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Have a glass of milk or juice.
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would say eat a treat :)
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Calories are only one part of the equation, try to get more nutrients in.
  • Mokey41
    Options

I make it throught about 1/2 -2/3 an apple and I'm just not hungry anymore.

If 2/3 of an apple makes you full then choose a different breakfast. 2 eggs would slide down much easier and provide more calories and some protein. Add a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and you have a decent breakfast.

I'm sensing here that you don't want advice but are rather looking for justification in what you are already doing. If so, then carry on.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

The binging portion of my life was from when I was 13-15, I was bullied in school and that was my coping mechanism.

I'm almost 23 now and haven't had a binging problem since. I just don't wanna be reminded of those day.

You are not full on the food you've logged. You are convincing yourself that you are full because you fear bingeing. Just meet your calorie goal and then stop. That's not a binge and it shouldn't remind of one. A binge is out of control eating. Meeting your calorie goal and properly fueling your body is controlled eating. Take control!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    eat nuts
    peanut butter on toast
    avocado on toast

I eat calorie dense foods that also give me some nutritional value. Easy to bump up your calories without feeling full.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods