Please Help……. Still Not Losing Weight

I have jogged, worked out, and taken an evening walk while following a 1200-1300 calorie diet for the past 8 days and I have not lost a single pound. Everyone says it is about calorie deficit and yet I am in a 1000-1500 calorie deficit every day, but still not losing anything at all. I don’t know if it’s my age of 41, stress, or what could be preventing me from losing but any and all suggestions would greatly be appreciated. A little back story, I lost a total of 90 pounds over a 3 year period 2018-2021 so I know how to lose, but within the past 1-2 years have gained back 20-25 pounds, losing 10 in June but quickly putting back it back on. I am currently 36 pounds from my initial goal, when two years ago I was 12 pounds away. Please help???

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,812 Member
    More stress means more water retention.

Have you recently suddenly started working out a lot? That's going to cause water retention.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,165 Member
    8 days will tell you nothing. Wait 4-6 weeks then review
  • Skylightsauc
    Skylightsauc Posts: 16 Member
    I agree with Tom. Everyone is in a hurry to lose weight but it's better to lose slowly, it takes time. Don't weigh every week, instead set a longer term goal, at least a month away and weigh then. My goal is 10 pounds by Dec. 1 and I started 3 weeks ago.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,193 Member
    Wait 4-6 weeks. It hasn’t been long enough.
  • Fjm2
    Fjm2 Posts: 9 Member
    Whatever you do don’t give up! That happened to me in the past and then it started dropping off.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,874 Member
    You're being too impatient. New workouts, some part in your menstrual cycle, stress and lots of other things can cause water retention. You might be eating differently and be a wee bit constipated. All those those have a weight, and all those things are not bodyfat, yet influence your total weight on the scale. 8 days really is nothing. You don't say what your current stats are but you might easily be experiencing 2-6lbs water and poopweight craziness. Until this subsides, and until your weightloss is bigger than the gain due to other factors you won't see a weightloss on the scale.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,304 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    poopweight craziness.

Ok. Granted, my family is really into scatalogical humor, but this is my new favorite MFP term.

PWC for the NSV!!!!
  • edwhite0310
    edwhite0310 Posts: 3 Member
    Do you lift weights?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,874 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    poopweight craziness.

Ok. Granted, my family is really into scatalogical humor, but this is my new favorite MFP term.

PWC for the NSV!!!!

Sending hugs ❤️😅
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,999 Member
    tiffyas83 wrote: »
    I have jogged, worked out, and taken an evening walk while following a 1200-1300 calorie diet for the past 8 days and I have not lost a single pound. Everyone says it is about calorie deficit and yet I am in a 1000-1500 calorie deficit every day, but still not losing anything at all. I don’t know if it’s my age of 41, stress, or what could be preventing me from losing but any and all suggestions would greatly be appreciated. A little back story, I lost a total of 90 pounds over a 3 year period 2018-2021 so I know how to lose, but within the past 1-2 years have gained back 20-25 pounds, losing 10 in June but quickly putting back it back on. I am currently 36 pounds from my initial goal, when two years ago I was 12 pounds away. Please help???

I think your deficit is too large. I think 8 days is far too short a time to expect fat loss. IMO, keep exercising, up your calories to a more sustainable deficit (300-500) and be patient. This is a marathon not a sprint...
  • vgsaldivar12
    vgsaldivar12 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm at a stand still too. Been the same for the past 2 weeks and eating right is hard everyday, but I'm still going. I'm going to up my fiber and add in a short workout. I bet you will feel it in your clothes soon.
  • tomcustombuilder
    J72FIT wrote: »

I think your deficit is too large. I think 8 days is far too short a time to expect fat loss. IMO, keep exercising, up your calories to a more sustainable deficit (300-500) and be patient. This is a marathon not a sprint...
    On an average, people underestimate their weekly calorie intake by 40%.

• J72FIT

and they overestimate their expenditure. That said, I am picturing someone eating too little and exercising too much.
  • tomcustombuilder

and they overestimate their expenditure. That said, I am picturing someone eating too little and exercising too much.
    No way to tell without giving a weekly calorie amount 4-6 weeks to sort things out

• J72FIT

No way to tell without giving a weekly calorie amount 4-6 weeks to sort things out

Maybe hard to tell but very common...