What’s up change up

My walking partiner is out of town this week. I’d like to try something different for cardio. Any suggestions?

Answers

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,940 Member
    Do you do your walking outside? The simplest answer may be to continue walking, but change things up by trying new routes for different scenery you can share with your walking partner upon their return.

Also outside you can change things up by moving from flat terrain to incline. Find a hill you can walk up and down a few times. The steeper the incline, the harder it will be. Walk quickly up, and slowly on the way back down to recover before your next uphill.

If you have a sports stadium near (maybe a school), go up and down the stairs multiple times; fast up, slow to recover down.

Substituting calisthenics for movement will also get the heartrate up very quickly.

Inside a gym are of course tons of options in the cardio area (treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical, stairs, swimming, basketball, racquetball, etc), but a couple little-used examples in the weights area can also qualify as cardio: punching bags and battle ropes.

Group classes in ballroom dancing or martial arts also qualify. Or rock climbing, both indoor and outdoor. Pulling weeds, digging a trench, splitting firewood...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,777 Member
    Other things to consider: Other types of dancing, active video or VR games, biking (if you have access to a bike), canoeing/kayaking (in many areas there are rentals), skating if you already know how, pool/lake exercise other than swimming (even water walking). Some gyms offer classes as a drop-in for a fee, even if you're not a member. If there are clubs near you, you could look at their web site or call about drop-in options. (Some offer drop-ins even if it isn't on the web site, IME. I've done this a few times, and a class is usually not much more expensive than going to a movie, here.)