Keeping it off.

Now that I’ve reached my goal, it’s a question of whether or not I can keep it off. Wondering if there is anyone else in this position?

Replies

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,112 Member
    Yep been there done that. :)
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 186 Member
    Am there, doing that…!

Congratulations on your achievement! Have you got a plan for maintenance?

I didn’t have a plan the first 2/3 times, as I thought I could wing it: turns out I was wrong. This time, I am still logging and staying accountable, and finding different challenges to exercise my willpower!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Finding, practicing and sustaining reasonably happy new habits - eating and activity - habits that can run almost on autopilot when other parts of life get challenging . . . IMO, that's key.

If you didn't focus on that during loss, focus on it now.

Too many people do "lose weight fast": Restrictive eating, punitively unpleasant exercise. That can't continue life-long. At least, I can't do that forever. (Nonetheless, I've been in a healthy weight range for 8 years anyway, after about 30 previous years of overweight/obesity.)

Easy. Pleasant. Tolerable. Practical. Finding that kind of routine: I think that's the ticket.

Everyone maintaining after loss is in your same position, I predict . . . at least for the first decade or so.
  • jspecies11
    jspecies11 Posts: 1,138 Member
    Great comments. I think it’s also knowing your personal “why” to keep you healthy and going when you feel old habits kicking in.Think of yourself as a healthy strong person and you will act and behave as one. Don’t expect perfection from yourself but have a plan for your new life style to carry you through each day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,336 Member
    Yeah, I'm 15 years post weight loss.

If you don't really WANT to keep the weight off, it's going to be very hard.

I have experienced such a huge positive change with being at a healthy weight that I don't ever want to go back.

I'd say for me the first year post weight loss was the hardest. I hadn't *really* made all the changes. Heck, I'm still making changes...

I don't want to be fat. End of story.