What do you think about....

Options
100 calorie packs?
I know many of you have strong opinions on the subject..I'm one of those people that CAN only eat 1 pack, so getting another pack isn't my problem..I usually eat about 2 a day (as my "snacks") and I"m wondering if this is slowing my weightloss. I've been doing this routine since jan and have lost ~22 pounds, but i've been stuck at a plateau for about 2 months.
do you think there's too much sugar in these (enough so that it's slowing my weightloss??) does sugar prevent weightloss? i dont know if i should cut back on these immediately or phase them out, or keep them the same..they seem to keep me in check re: eating sweets, and i'm more controlled and won't binge on high calorie sweets and snacks when i eat them.
thoughts?

Replies

• Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Personally I think if you know you will probably eat the high-calorie "real" sweets if you stop the 100 calorie packs then the pre-portioned 100 calorie packs would have to be better than that! I eat them occassionally when I'm wanting something sweet. . .much better than reaching for the Little Debbie cakes for me which btw I did the past couple days. . .oops!! :embarassed:
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I personally won't eat them, as I've given up all processed food, so opt for a more natural snack. When I first started I did have a few of these here and there as I figured it was better than a full fat snack . . . but as they are not natural and do have more sugar than necessary don't rely on them daily . . . perhaps only when you are going to reach for something worse in hunger.
    The whole point of losing weight is to become healthier, and to me part of that is what Im putting in my body, not just how much.

I used to have a terrible sweet tooth so have given up all sugar, except for that found naturally. My sweet tooth (and major cravings) are now gone, but it did take the better part of a few months to get there.
  • BeSexy
    BeSexy Posts: 94
    Options
    I am personally against them. However, if you NEED a sweet treat and that is your choice of it .....ok but not everyday! Yes, they are only 100 calories but, you are not using your stored body fat to burn calories when you feed your body these processed sugars. Instead you will simple store the sugars as body fat. To lose body fat, you must eat the right foods, amount of food, and exercise! Turn the 100 calorie bags in for apples, strawberries, watermelon, blackberries, etc.
  • jaci232
    jaci232 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I have a pantry full of them (buy them in droves when on sale). They are definitely keepers.

Ex: I can have 1.5 oreos OR a 100 cal pack. And the pack isn't even really oreos they are "crisps" so more satisfying since they last longer.

I am not one of those that are against process foods... as far as your plateau, I'd love to help but can't see your diary. I see though you are at 160 and I am not sure of your height but I am assuming you are either in or very close to "normal" weight. When I hit that, it made weight loss MUCH harder for me since your body wants to hang on closely to the extra weight that is not necessarily unhealthy.

Try switching up your exercise (or adding some!) for two weeks and see if that helps. :)
  • ashleyp35
    ashleyp35 Posts: 53
    Options
    I love the 100 calorie snacks. I think 2-3 a day is doable. It's better than eating a candy bar. I love sweets, and the 100 calorie packs are life savors. Maybe try incorporating yogart. Have you tried the 100 cal popcorn? What about sugar free jello. Or the 60 calorie sugar free chocolate pudding.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't buy/eat them. I'd rather eat unprocessed snacks like nuts and fruit. But I do think a 100 cal popcorn bag isn't such a bad idea as popcorn will be very filling vs a few Oreo crisps (I tried those once and they were terrible, IMO).
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    The only one's I ever eat is the emerald natural almonds. I eat one a day at work. I don't buy them for home. I take a 5 pack box of these and a box of Fiber one 90 cal bars every Monday for the 2 breaks a day...Keeps me out of the vending machines.
  • jaci232
    jaci232 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone..i realize there are a lot of differing opinions but it's nice to hear from everyone.
    i don't think the packs are what's slowing my weightloss down, just because i've been eating them through most of the journey but i will start subbing in a yogurt once a day instead for one of the packs.
    unfortunately my weight isn't exactly "close" to normal for my height--i'm 5'2'' and i'm shooting for a goal of 140, which wouuld still put me as "overweight."
    i'll keep trying to switch up my exercise, i've taken up kickboxing and walking in the hills lately
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think they are a waste of 100 calories. However, if you are one of those people that has to have sweets; 2 a day is not the end of the world.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    highly processed !!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have enough real treats so I won't eat the 100 calorie packs... because they have the fake sugar in them and the processed chemicals and all that crap that yes, will slow down your weight loss. If I want something that's technically junk food, I just go by the serving size and don't have anymore. I won't buy it if I know I could overeat on it...so say, I have extra calories and REALLY want cheez-its, I'll get the small bag from the work vending machine and eat half the bag which is about 100 calories and save the rest for later. If I eat junk, I try to leave extra calories just in case.