What are badges all about?

So I've earned 3 but I would like to know which ones are available to earn. I've looked all over the site but don't see any info on it. Also, what does it mean that I can use "BBC code in your post".

Best Answer

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,917 Member
    Answer ✓
    I can't tell you all the badge types. Some I know about are for getting reactions from others on your Community posts - like, insightful, inspiring, hug. There are anniversary badges for each year you're here (not sure how consistent a person has to be in exactly which ways to qualify). There are badges for making X number of comments on posts, or starting Y number of discussions. There are badges for having people mark your replies on threads as the answer a certain number of times. There are probably others.

"BBCode" is a way for putting fancier markup into your posts. If you click on "BBCode" in that message ("You can use BBCode in your post"), you will get a link to this Wikipedia page that explains it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

Some of the official BBCode works here, some doesn't, in my experience.

Very few people bother to use BBCode. Some people use the markup clicks above the post's typing area (to make things bold, italic, add photos, etc.)

If you're happy with how your posts look plain, or with those easy kinds of markup, there's no need to even think about BBCode.

Answers

• colleentalamantes
    colleentalamantes Posts: 25 Member
    @AnnPT77 Thank you for taking the time to answer; that helps a lot.
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,298 MFP Staff
    Yes, @AnnPT77 is right.

We have Badges for reactions (Insightful, Inspiring, Like, and Hug). Those go from "you received 5 likes, to "you received 10,000 likes, etc.

There is one for when you add a profile photo, that looks like a camera. A busy bee badge for when you earn 5 badges in a single day.

Comment badges, between 1 and 50,000 for every time you comment in the community.

Answer badges for questions, those are between 1 answer and 250+ answers.

And last but not least, anniversary badges. Those are 1 for each year you are here, between 1 and 11, and the 11th kinda covers that you've been here a long while.

And occasionally we'll do a specialty badge for an event, or a type of user, etc.