Trying to be consistent

DarcG
DarcG Posts: 52 Member
Good morning, I’m browsing the MFP app and trying to get more use out of it. I miss the log page where friends can chime in and comment in logs, but I guess this is the next best thing!

I need help with accountability and this helps

I have about 50 pounds I need to lose and really would like to lose at least 1.5 pounds a week. I’ll gladly take 2 pounds a week and I know I can do that at the beginning with it slowing down.

Replies

• GenRMarmol
    GenRMarmol Posts: 3 Member
    Good morning! I totally understand—I miss those features too, but it’s great that we can still connect here for support and accountability.

It sounds like you have a solid plan in mind, aiming for 1.5-2 pounds a week, and that’s definitely achievable with the right approach. I’d be happy to help you with accountability and provide any guidance you might need along the way. Whether it’s tips on nutrition, workouts, or just staying motivated, I’m here for you!

Are you following a specific plan right now, or would you like some suggestions to get started?
  • Rxman1971
    Rxman1971 Posts: 372 Member
    Just get started watch calories and get a good workout in. U can do this
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,956 Member
    DarcG wrote: »
    Good morning, I’m browsing the MFP app and trying to get more use out of it. I miss the log page where friends can chime in and comment in logs, but I guess this is the next best thing!

I need help with accountability and this helps

I have about 50 pounds I need to lose and really would like to lose at least 1.5 pounds a week. I’ll gladly take 2 pounds a week and I know I can do that at the beginning with it slowing down.

Hello, and welcome!

I'd suggest losing no more than about 0.5-1% of current body weight weekly, with a bias toward the lower end of that unless body weight itself is an acute health risk, and under close medical supervision for deficiencies or complications. Depending on how much you weigh now, 1.5 pounds a week could be fine for a while.

My thought process: Sometimes a moderate loss rate can get us to goal weight in less calendar time than an aggressive plan that causes deprivation-triggered over-eating, breaks in the action, or even giving up altogether.

Personally, I was overweight/obese for around 30 years, lost 50 pounds in just under a year at age 59-60, and have been at a healthy weight for 8 years since. Loss was a bit faster at first, then quite slow (intentionally) in the last stages.

There are lots of marketers and influencers on the internet (and elsewhere) that want to convince us that weight loss is so difficult that we absolutely must buy their special supplements, so-called diet foods, workout programs, etc., in order to succeed. (Or maybe they just rent out our eyeballs/attention to advertisers on their site to monetize their "free" content).

Honesty, it's not that complicated. But if we figure that out, those folks won't make any money. ;)

Wishing you success here: IME, the results are worth the effort!