800-1000 calories a day

Options
I've been losing weight since April 2012. I started out around 400lbs. It took a year and 4 months to get 70lbs off doing it the "right way" and I hit a plateau in June 2013 and I decided to shock my body this month. I'm eating 800-1000 calories a day and I've lost 8lbs this past week. If I workout, I may go as high as 1200. I know people say it's not healthy, but I just want to be under 300lbs so badly and I only have 18 more pounds to go! I've heard of doctors putting extremely obese patients on an 800-1000 calorie diet. When I get to 299, I plan on taking it back up to 1200 calories a day for a while. As long as I'm not hungry, not passing out from low blood sugar, and losing weight, then what is the harm in this? Just want some opinions...no rude comments please.

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Actually when you hit a plateau it's better to do the opposite. I busted through plateaus (it took me 2 years to get where I am) by increasing my calories to my maintenance level. Low may work in the short term, but in the long run it is only going to derail you. Even 1200 is far too low. I never ate less than 1600 on rest days and as much as 2200 on workout days.

My eating too low, you are sacrificing muscle. Muscle burns calories, even at rest.

Take a look at the "Road Map". A lot of folks here have found success with this method.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=road+map+short
  • rkirk1954
    rkirk1954 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    IMHO, the one concern I would have is where are those 800-1000 calories coming from? You want to make sure that you are losing fat and not muscle in the process. You've come a long way. Keep up the good work.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    you could shock your body straight into starvation mode. Your key statement was under a doctor supervision. Unless your doctor provides you with the necessary tools for a VLCD I wouldn't recommend it. You could do a lot of damage to your metabolism that will undo any good you are trying to do.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    stay at 1200 at least, you will still lose
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    What is considered rude comments?? Advice you don't wanna hear?? I think will just go ride my unicorn into the sunset. :bigsmile:
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I suggest talking to a doctor or nutritionist. If you need to lose weight rapidly then they can help you through it and make sure it's doing as little damage to your body as possible. I would suggest eating more but I know I'm not going to change your mind so please at least make sure you're taking a complete multi-vitamin every day.

Trust me, I know what you're going through. I was desperate to get under 200lbs and ate 750-900 a day for a month. By the end I couldn't work out because I had no energy and could barely concentrate in class.

So please, if you're going to be doing such a drastic diet, which I don't recommend, please get a health professional to monitor you.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you're after--you know it's not healthy and you acknowledge that you've prioritized speed over sustainability. But you want no rude comments (which I'm reading as "no criticism"). You say you have heard of doctors putting people on diets this low-are you currently under a doctor's treatment and care? I'm guessing you would have said so if that were the case.

So do you want compliments for doing something you know isn't healthy?

^^ This. Either have your diet supervised by a medical professional or eat more.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You already know how people are going to respond. Good luck! You can do it!:flowerforyou:
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You may indeed lose weight but please consider you are not providing enough nutrition for your body to maintain function easily. It's unhealthy but totally your choice.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Just want some opinions...no rude comments please.

:huh:

*sigh*
  • freebirdfitness
    Options
    watch how to look like that guy

he lost quite a bit of body fat % without counting cals and doing serious strength training during the first 18 weeks. Try increasing your weight with every gym session even if it's just 2.5 lbs. demand your muscles to grow. You will be happy of the cals used in the after burn and how much cals 1 lb of fat burns compared to 1 lb of muscle. Google it, muscle burns more than fat, try to build your muscle up.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Eat more, weigh less?

For once ill promote it.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    You also have to remember that it didn't take a day to gain all the weight either. I would rather eat as much food as I possibly could within my caloric goal than barely get anything at all.
  • SoonToBeSkinny320
    Options
    Honestly, what you're doing WILL work. As long as you aren't starving yourself and you're getting small amounts of every food group.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.....trying to figure out how to give an opinion that is also not considered rude.

I give up. :ohwell:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight by upping my caloric intake so I would only be able to offer what might be taken as rude advice so I will just say I would not do it (VLCD), the way you are doing it but that's just me.... Best of Luck.......
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight since April 2012. I started out around 400lbs. It took a year and 4 months to get 70lbs off doing it the "right way" and I hit a plateau in June 2013 and I decided to shock my body this month. I'm eating 800-1000 calories a day and I've lost 8lbs this past week. If I workout, I may go as high as 1200. I know people say it's not healthy, but I just want to be under 300lbs so badly and I only have 18 more pounds to go! I've heard of doctors putting extremely obese patients on an 800-1000 calorie diet. When I get to 299, I plan on taking it back up to 1200 calories a day for a while. As long as I'm not hungry, not passing out from low blood sugar, and losing weight, then what is the harm in this? Just want some opinions...no rude comments please.

Unless you are a doctor or are under a doctor's supervision on a diet that low, please do not do it. I know the impatience of wanting to get to a lower weight, but you're doing great without resorting to that.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Someone else a bit back talked about how they were consuming 1000 calories, and this was the response I gave them:

1. The recommended minimum for a woman is 1200 calories, 1800 for males. There's a reason for this. Your body needs more than 1000 calories to sustain itself. Yes, you could technically survive on 1000 calories or less, but you’d be extremely malnourished, weak, and sickly.

2. When you drop your calorie intake that low, your body immediately slows everything down to conserve energy and protect vital organ functions. So even if you are able to drop a few pounds quickly at first, your weight loss will soon stall. Plus, as soon as you go back to a normal calorie intake, you’ll start GAINING weight because now your metabolism is slower than it was before so you can’t eat as many calories and maintain your weight.

3. By cutting so low, you're setting yourself up for a binge-fest. You’ll feel irritable, stressed, fatigued, and deprived, which immediately makes you start craving food, and guess what happens? BINGE. And then where will you be? Right back to square one or maybe even -2.

IMO, you're doing it wrong. You obviously want to be healthy (hence losing weight), but you're resorting to an unhealthy means. I understand wanting to get weight off ASAP, heck I do too, I'm obese as well... but I don't want to keel over because I'm not giving my body what it needs. I don't want to be hangry. I don't want to lack energy for any and everything I do. You feel full on that small amount of calories because your metabolism is adapting to the lower calorie intake, it doesn't mean that you're getting enough.

I'm not sure what you expect from us. You can't sugar coat something like that. It's a bad idea, and you obviously know it is.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How much were you eating when you hit this plateau? Were you weighing you food where possible, and logging everything?