Shoveling dirt in 100 degree weather

Options
I am going to be shoveling dirt in 100 degree weather in a few and closest I can find on the search is shoveling snow. Was wondering if shoveling snow would be close or if I would burn more because of the heat?

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    When i shoveled dirt I put it under snow, too. You probably do burn more because of the heat, but there is nothing on here that takes that into account :(
  • stacy3
    stacy3 Posts: 4
    Options
    wow im proud of you for shoveling dirt when its that hot!!! sry i dont kno the calorie count but im sure you will burn a lot! :) im a wus and stick to exercising at the gym so you're my hero
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I found this on Livestrong:

Shoveling - moderate (10-15 lb per min):

Shoveling moderate loads, such as dirt from your garden, is a good way to get your in daily workout and build muscular strength at the same time. Shoveling dirt expends approximately 3.9 calories an hour per pound of body weight. For example, a 115-pound woman would expend nearly 450 calories in an hour of shoveling.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have been told that the heat does not increase your calorie burn. Sad, huh? It doesn't make sense to me because calorie burn is thermogenic so you'd think heat and an increased heart rate would have some impact. :sad:

I would think logging as shoveling snow would be a great way to log it.
  • shipleyak
    shipleyak Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    wow im proud of you for shoveling dirt when its that hot!!! sry i dont kno the calorie count but im sure you will burn a lot! :) im a wus and stick to exercising at the gym so you're my hero

I wish I had a choice. My dog dug the holes in this heat and I need to mow over them :(
  • shipleyak
    shipleyak Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Shoveling moderate loads, such as dirt from your garden, is a good way to get your in daily workout and build muscular strength at the same time. Shoveling dirt expends approximately 3.9 calories an hour per pound of body weight. For example, a 115-pound woman would expend nearly 450 calories in an hour of shoveling.

Thank you so much! That was very helpful.

and to everyone else thank you for the information and support