need to lose 100 lbs

Options
I need to lose 100 lbs to be healthy again... but I just can't get motivated!! Im a single mother with 2 kids, and trying to do this on my own is so difficult. I know that I desperately need to do something so I can be around to grow with my babies but I feel like emotionally I'm just not there.. I started working out for a few weeks but ended up stopping because of the tendonitis in my ankle and my bad knee. Now I just don't know where to go from here.. Dieting is really hard for me. I've never known the right foods to eat and I don't really have time to make sure everything I eat in a day is perfectly healthy. Any and all advice is really appreciated!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I think your over thinking it. Why not start with just sticking to your calorie goals? The more veggies and lean proteins you eat, the more food you'll be able to fit into your goals without going over. There's not really any "right" foods. Eat veggies, fruits, lean proteins, nuts, etc just make sure you stay within your calorie goal.

As for exercise, why not go on walks with your kids? I know my son loves to go on walks with me. It may not burn as many calories as say running, but just getting up and moving more will help. I actually started losing weight last year at 260lbs (bmi of 44), 6 weeks after my c-section, and at the time I struggled to walk a quarter of a mile. Fast forward to now, I can walk 6 miles with ease and have even started walking the 1.7 miles to the store to buy groceries. Just take things one step at a time.
  • Lkkiser3
    Lkkiser3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice! I feel so tired so much of the time that when I finally get a minute to go on a walk I decide to rest instead. They say if you are more active you will have more energy, but that doesn't seem to be true for me.. I'm 5'8 and weigh 270 now.. and I can actually already run a mile ( I think that's pretty good for my size) but I get so discouraged when I don't see results. And I am active everyday. My job consists of non stop walking and then taking care of the kids at home.. so I guess I just don't know how to push myself farther... maybe I'm just making excuses? Idk?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    you will see results if you focus on what goes in your mouth way more than if you worry about running a mile. exercise is a good component to weight loss but not necessary.
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hi & welcome! I am a sahm to 3 girls (13, 8 & 3)! I too have a lot to lose, my current goal is to lose 150 (now 125ish) so I am in this for the long haul. I think the previous poster is spot on, start with your calories, log daily without changing anything you're doing now. See what you're eating, what you need to eat/change. You may not be eating enough or you could be eating way to much. Log every thing you eat, good or bad. You will see what you need to do to start the weight loss. If you don't have a food scale, get one! Weigh things you wouldn't think about, chips, peanut butter etc. This helped me tremendously!

Start out small, eat better within your calories and you'll start to lose weight. When you start seeing some results, you'll feel better about yourself, and it may motivate you to do those walks/exercise :) Feel free to send me a friend request, I log daily ( have been since May) and try to post as much as I can with 3 kids :)

Good luck on your journey!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice! I feel so tired so much of the time that when I finally get a minute to go on a walk I decide to rest instead. They say if you are more active you will have more energy, but that doesn't seem to be true for me.. I'm 5'8 and weigh 270 now.. and I can actually already run a mile ( I think that's pretty good for my size) but I get so discouraged when I don't see results. And I am active everyday. My job consists of non stop walking and then taking care of the kids at home.. so I guess I just don't know how to push myself farther... maybe I'm just making excuses? Idk?

Activity only gives me more energy to an extent. I actually discovered that I have a lot more energy when I'm taking a multi-vitamin compared to when I'm not(very lethargic). So that's something to consider if you aren't already taking one.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I feel so tired so much of the time that when I finally get a minute to go on a walk I decide to rest instead. They say if you are more active you will have more energy, but that doesn't seem to be true for me.. I'm 5'8 and weigh 270 now.. and I can actually already run a mile ( I think that's pretty good for my size) but I get so discouraged when I don't see results.
    Stop looking for results every day :heart: If you truly want to be there for your kids, then just start with one healthy choice and then make another. Your goal might not need to be pounds off, as much as changes in what you eat. The idea of taking the kids for a walk is great. Don't worry if you don't feel a burn--you're in it for steps. Get as many in each day as you can.

You'll get there. Read the success stories here. There are incredible stories of perseverance and dedication (and falling down, getting all scraped up, and starting again) that will motivate you. You've got this. You want it for the rest of your life, right? So start today (and when tomorrow arrives, it's called "today" again :smile: ) You are doing it for all the right reasons, you're just antsy to see results quickly. We all are. Maybe tell yourself that you're not going to weigh yourself until Nov.1. Put off a date with your scale for a while and see what happens.

Best of luck to you on your journey. I don't usually reply-I just lurk a lot, but something tells me that you're going to make it. You just need someone to tell you. Post here. People will encourage you and motivate you when you want to toss in the towel. Hang in there. This is totally doable.

~Curly
  • airfern
    airfern Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I need to lose about 100 pounds too, and I also struggle with staying motivated and making time to work in weight loss. Feel free to add me if you'd like another buddy. I don't have kids but I'm tall, so we have that in common :)

I've started and stopped a lot in the last few years. I really want this to be my time!