Anyone out there have a bakers cyst?

Options
Well I just found out recently that the incredible pain in my knee is being caused by a ruptured bakers cyst. Not too long ago I was hurt at work ( work caused the cyst and my injury there ruptured it ). Since then, every week, my back of my knee swells up like a balloon and become extremely painful. My calf and my front of my knee become extremely swollen as well. My leg gets "stuck", i have to keep it straight and I can barely walk. I got a cortisone shot last week which helps, but not entirely. Anyone ever have this problem? What kind of treatment did you recieve? My biggest worry is that this is something that will inhibit me long term. Thanks!

Replies

• glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have one, but mine seems pretty mild in comparison to yours. I only noticed it, not because it was painful, but because I have a high risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis, and when I notice swelling in my legs, I get a little panicky.

I haven't had to do anything regarding mine...it's just there. No pain, no restriction.

My brother-in-law, however, had one and it was quite painful. He had it removed and had no issues afterwards.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I had this happen a few years ago. I asked for the fluid to be drained and to go to physical therapy and worked through it. I wouldn't allow them to give me steroids because I have already heavy enough.............

I opted like I said for natural treatment..........

Ice it
    Elevate it
    Get the fluid drained
    Ask for Physical Therapy
    Walk

It gets better............
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I think that is what I did. I was only 14 when it happened. But if you are referring to the sac that is behind you kneecap then yes I have this. Mine burst back when I was 14 (9 years ago) and I have just dealt with it. Just like July24lioness said. I was on crutches for awhile but the more I babied it the worst it got. So just keep moving this way it wont get stuck. I still have occasional pain to this day but it is nothing like it used to be.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I had one after I fractured my femur a few years ago. It never burst, I never had it drained, I just tried to work through it and eventually it got better on its own- that being said, I was obviously dealing with a few bigger fish at the time.

good luck.
  • carol2609
    Options
    I had a knee replacement 9 months ago and thePhysio noticed the Bakers Cyst ( swelling ) behind my knee, well 3 days ago I had a swollen ankle and foot with calf pain I put it down to doing a lot of walking, suddenly the pain in the calf weould go and then return ,I read about DVT and decided to see my Gp, he sent me for a DVT scan where they found a ruptured Bakers Cyst, the pain had been horrendous and I couldn't put my foot on the ground, today my foot is less swollen and I have a massive red and purple bruise on my calf,it was the rupture and the draining of the cyst was causing the pain. No treatment but anti inflamitory medication, I have read that the cyst can form again so will talk to my GGP not sure about having it cut out though!
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have (had?) one as well. Last year after a really long hike, I had a LOT of pain in my left leg behind my knee. This knee has always been bad due to an injury when I was younger, so I thought it was just the knee acting up worse than it had before, and it was a busy week so I didn't bother going to the doctor. Later that same week I fainted unexpectedly (probably just a completely unrelated instance of neurocardial syncope, another weird medical quirk I've been dealing with for years). I was sent to urgent care because of the fainting spell, they did some bloodwork and found that a value related to clotting was elevated, so they panicked, thought I might have a blood clot in the leg where I was experiencing the pain, and did an ultrasound of my leg. That's when they found the cyst, which they thought was probably caused by my job (I'm on my feet ALL day, every day) and that the cyst had then ruptured and was leaking some fluid after the hike. They offered surgery to remove it, but I was getting married in a few weeks and didn't want to deal with it just then. The pain gradually went away on its own and it has not come back, so I'm not sure if the cyst is even still there-- it was never visible from the outside. But man, was that thing painful when it was painful! I don't think I've ever had anything hurt that much in my life.