Advice please!?! I'm sooo hungry!

Options
I started hypothyroid meds a few days ago.
I feel ravenous!
I pigged out on In N Out late last night, so I added to my calories for today.
I ve eaten A LOT today by filling up on veggies.
I'm sooo hungry, but don't want to go over 1,800 calories.
Any suggestions?
Do the calories count so much when it's mostly produce?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I started hypothyroid meds a few days ago.
    I feel ravenous!
    I pigged out on In N Out late last night, so I added to my calories for today.
    I ve eaten A LOT today by filling up on veggies.
    I'm sooo hungry, but don't want to go over 1,800 calories.
    Any suggestions?
    Do the calories count so much when it's mostly produce?

Yes veggie calories count. Eat something with protein and fat with your veggies (Chicken or something) to help you feel more full.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Yes the calories you eat count. It doesn't matter if it's fruit or in n out.. a calorie is a calorie. I would just eat a regular day after the in n out. One day being over your calories is not going to undo all your hard work or make you gain weight. Will you show a gain tomorrow? Maybe, but it's water weight. However, being starving right now might lead you to end up bingeing later on (in my personal experience, I always over eat when I'm super hungry).
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I had some turkey earlier.
    I had an avacado just now...

*Dang it! And the avacado put me over 2,000 calories!
    I'm going to make some chamomile tea...
    Hopefully it helps take the edge off.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you mean does it matter that your calories are coming from vegetables, not really, no. But the calories in them do count!

Try finding a dip you like, something sour cream, cream cheese, yogurt, or peanut butter based are things I can think of off the top of my head. The protein and fat in a limited portion of dip + basically as many veggies as you can eat will help you feel fuller than just eating veggies (which are pretty much just water in most cases).

If you're hypothyroid, like me (yay! not.) you're probably more sensitive to carbohydrates than most people. That doesn't mean you can never eat carbs, but focusing more on protein and fat (especially fat) will help you feel full and not get so freakishly hungry. It took me a long time to understand and realize that eating fat isn't going to kill me, and it really helps me from going nuts and eating 3 orders of animal style fries at midnight. I totally feel you on the In N Out.

You'll even out as you settle in to your meds, I promise. Drink water, do things to keep your hands busy so you don't want to munch out of boredom, and work on finding some more satiating options. You can do it!
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Also, with 80 ish pounds to lose.. I'm curious why you're only eating 1800 calories? You could probably lose weight on A LOT more.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    If you mean does it matter that your calories are coming from vegetables, not really, no. But the calories in them do count!

Try finding a dip you like, something sour cream, cream cheese, yogurt, or peanut butter based are things I can think of off the top of my head. The protein and fat in a limited portion of dip + basically as many veggies as you can eat will help you feel fuller than just eating veggies (which are pretty much just water in most cases).

If you're hypothyroid, like me (yay! not.) you're probably more sensitive to carbohydrates than most people. That doesn't mean you can never eat carbs, but focusing more on protein and fat (especially fat) will help you feel full and not get so freakishly hungry. It took me a long time to understand and realize that eating fat isn't going to kill me, and it really helps me from going nuts and eating 3 orders of animal style fries at midnight. I totally feel you on the In N Out.

You'll even out as you settle in to your meds, I promise. Drink water, do things to keep your hands busy so you don't want to munch out of boredom, and work on finding some more satiating options. You can do it!

Lol. Mmm animal fries!
    Tomorrow will work out better.
    It's just the In N Out that screwed me over..
    Even after the burger and fries I think I did great as far as macros go.
    Isnt there a way to customize macros?
  • dynamitegalxo
    Options
    Yep!

Home > Goals > Custom > Macros

I'd suggest upping your fiber target to at least 25g/day - it helps a LOT when you have fiber make up a chunk of your carbs for the day and avocados are a totally delicious and stellar way to get fiber. I looked through a couple days in your diary and it doesn't look bad at all! My recommendation would be to up your protein to at least 90g/day, if not 100-110, and balance the fat and carbs between the rest. That's just what works for me and my stupid thyroid though!
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Also, with 80 ish pounds to lose.. I'm curious why you're only eating 1800 calories? You could probably lose weight on A LOT more.

Really?
    MFP has me set at 1320cals/day to lose 2lbs a week.
    I have it set at that, and try to keep between that and 1800 calories.
    I always had a hard time eating more than 1200 calories unless I've had junk food.
    Even eating at such a large deficit the weight wouldn't come off.
    I guess I will need to adjust my calorie intake now...
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Yep!

I'd suggest upping your fiber target to at least 25g/day - it helps a LOT when you have fiber make up a chunk of your carbs for the day and avocados are a totally delicious and stellar way to get fiber. I looked through a couple days in your diary and it doesn't look bad at all! My recommendation would be to up your protein to at least 90g/day, if not 100-110, and balance the fat and carbs between the rest. That's just what works for me and my stupid thyroid though!

Awesome! Thanks!
    It's something to start with.
    I'm going to do more fats, less carbs, because apparently carbs and gluten are bad for my PCOS (didn't know I had that either).
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Change it to lose 1lb per week.
  • dynamitegalxo
    Options
    Wait until you've been on your meds for long enough that your thyroid is regulated before you go too crazy with adjusting your calorie intake. For most people, if you have 80 pounds to lose, you could eat more, but don't forget your thyroid is still kind of broken. You might have to deal with eating less :/ My BMR is 2100+ but I don't lose until I eat 1500. Just the way my dumb thyroid works.

And whatever changes you make, give them time to work before you move on to the next thing! At least a month!
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Yep!

I have one more question.
    I've been taking my levothyroxine (sp?) in the afternoon with my bcp I'm taking for Pcos.
    I found out I'm not supposed to be taking the 2 different hormones together.
    I want to switch to when I wake up.
    First of all, is it a problem that I don't wake up at the same time everyday?
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Wait until you've been on your meds for long enough that your thyroid is regulated before you go too crazy with adjusting your calorie intake. For most people, if you have 80 pounds to lose, you could eat more, but don't forget your thyroid is still kind of broken. You might have to deal with eating less :/ My BMR is 2100+ but I don't lose until I eat 1500. Just the way my dumb thyroid works.

And whatever changes you make, give them time to work before you move on to the next thing! At least a month!

Ok... Apparently mine is "extremely underactive".
    I'm going back in to check my levels and up the dose in 2 months.
    The Dr wants to up it slowly.
  • dylanjfahey
    Options
    Here's the deal. You're not supposed to starve yourself on a diet, or else it just will not work. Everyone is different. I'd say eat more than your fair share of vegetables. Find a snack or two that you like that doesn't kill your diet. I like dried shredded coconut and real chocolate. (I've got to watch my sugar and salt). The instructor for our class gave us all the proportions and stuff, but said, if you're going to overdue it, just eat as much good salad as you can. At least you're going to get your fiber and vitamins, instead of junk food. Dieting is hard, you're fighting a psychological battle where your brain is telling you that you need more food. And you must overcome that urge to win.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Here's the deal. You're not supposed to starve yourself on a diet, or else it just will not work. Everyone is different. I'd say eat more than your fair share of vegetables. Find a snack or two that you like that doesn't kill your diet. I like dried shredded coconut and real chocolate. (I've got to watch my sugar and salt). The instructor for our class gave us all the proportions and stuff, but said, if you're going to overdue it, just eat as much good salad as you can. At least you're going to get your fiber and vitamins, instead of junk food. Dieting is hard, you're fighting a psychological battle where your brain is telling you that you need more food. And you must overcome that urge to win.

Thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it, but it's not that simple.
    I normally need to make myself eat.
    I don't get very hungry, and sometimes needed to force myself to eat 1200 calories.
    My husband and I could not understand how I gained so much weight over the last 3 years.
    I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and apparently it's pretty bad.
    I started taking the hormone that my thyroid is supposed to be creating, and it is raising my metabolism to that of a
    "normal" person.
    It's been 3 days, and the meds are what are making me so hungry.
    I usually eat very healthy, and have made myself very knowledgeable since starting MFP 2yrs ago.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Yes the calories you eat count. It doesn't matter if it's fruit or in n out.. a calorie is a calorie. I would just eat a regular day after the in n out. One day being over your calories is not going to undo all your hard work or make you gain weight. Will you show a gain tomorrow? Maybe, but it's water weight. However, being starving right now might lead you to end up bingeing later on (in my personal experience, I always over eat when I'm super hungry).

Great advice right here. OP read this over and over. Changing this mentality is probably one of the best changes you can make to set yourself up for success.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Wise sage once said:

When tired I sleep, when hungry I eat.

If you're actually hungry (and you've excluded the possibility that you're dehydrated or just plain comfort eating) then go and eat something, for god's sake.
  • dynamitegalxo
    Options
    Take your meds 30 minutes before you eat breakfast. Doesn't matter what time that is, or what time you get up. You need to wait at least 4 hours before you take your BCP after you take your levo. Also, if you're taking a vitamin, don't take it at the same time as your thyroid meds because that can seriously jack you up.

What's your dose, and how underactive are you? It's pretty normal to wait 60-90 days and then get more bloodwork done to check your levels, but make sure you're keeping note of your symptoms and don't be afraid to insist on a check if you think something needs to be done before the 60 day mark.

And to give you an idea, my TSH was EIGHT HUNDRED when I first got diagnosed. Normal is roughly between 1 and 4.5. So I know all about severely under active thyroids. Mine's basically just taking up space in my neck lol
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Take your meds 30 minutes before you eat breakfast. Doesn't matter what time that is, or what time you get up. You need to wait at least 4 hours before you take your BCP after you take your levo. Also, if you're taking a vitamin, don't take it at the same time as your thyroid meds because that can seriously jack you up.

What's your dose, and how underactive are you? It's pretty normal to wait 60-90 days and then get more bloodwork done to check your levels, but make sure you're keeping note of your symptoms and don't be afraid to insist on a check if you think something needs to be done before the 60 day mark.

And to give you an idea, my TSH was EIGHT HUNDRED when I first got diagnosed. Normal is roughly between 1 and 4.5. So I know all about severely under active thyroids. Mine's basically just taking up space in my neck lol

Ok. Thanks. I'm going to start taking it like that tomorrow.
    I can't remember the number.
    My biggest complaint for 10years has been the horrible lethargy.
    I noticed a slight difference the first day!
    I think part of the reason she has me going up slowly is because if the lethargy was completely
    gone all at once it would be very overwhelming.