Emotional Eater

Options
Any ideas for an emotional eater. I am also kind of couch bound at the moment. I have a sprained ankle that I got playing tennis. I wish I could be more active because the less active you are the less calories you can eat. I can't eat to make myself feel better and if I do I can't do much to work it off. I feel like an alcoholic staring at a bottle of whiskey every time I have a stressful moment.

Replies

• HealthyEscape
    Options
    Hey. I have suffered from 3 major sprained ankles in the last 2 years.

You can still work out your core and arms. If you have weights, do some arm work, also girl pushups (on your knees instead of feet) and crunches. Good luck :-)
  • BeSexy
    BeSexy Posts: 94
    Options
    well, the emotional eating is a hard one but do you have a wii. They have tennis on there and it's something active you can do while sitting and it just might take your mind off the eating. It's a lot of fun!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I was going to say do some upper body with weights while sitting! Emotional eating is usually comfort eating and the only thing that sates me is something hot - I drink Good Earth Decaf Original in Sweet & Spicy. VERY flavorful - like liquid gingersnaps! There are many other flavors out there if that does not appeal to you. My sister likes the Choco Chai.
  • butrfly86
    butrfly86 Posts: 8
    Options
    Just keep journaling everything you eat. I'm an emotional eater as well. I've been on MFP for a month and the journaling has really helped keep me motivated. Last week was really bad for me, but I kept journaling and this week I'm getting back on track. It's a constant struggle to change our habitual eating. Don't let your ankle get you down!! Find other exercises and do what you can til you get back on your feet. Even if you gain a little weight back, you kept track of everything and that in itself is progress. Being able to see on a screen everything you eat is motivation in itself!! Don't give up!!! Everyone on here wants you to succeed. There's nothing better than reading someone else's success story! Soon it will be you motivating other's with your success story!
  • shawnalmil
    shawnalmil Posts: 137
    Options
    i would try to stay away from the junk and eat veggies and fruits if you can......i too am an emotional eater and this is what i found to work
  • pchristie
    pchristie Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater too. I try to have sugar free jello and fat free sugar free chocolate pudding in my fridge at all times. I usually go for the chocolate when I'm stressed. If I have low fat chocolate choices, it helps a lot. Oh, also, I have a box of weight watchers chocolate snack cakes with frosting. One of those sometimes does the trick.

I know how you feel being frustrated by an injury. I have a huge blister on my foot that is preventing me from running. I still am doing aerobics every day, but it's nowhere near the same. I'm only burning half the calories. I miss running so much, but I am trying to still do what I can to burn calories. It's just too hard for me to stick to 1200 cal which is what I have to do if I don't exercise. Maybe you could do an ab workout on the floor, or pilates on the floor? Just a thought. The other sitting exercise ideas are good to. Try to stay positive. It's so important.
  • boltenolte
    Options
    The best way to deal with emotional/stress eating is to get at the root of what's making you want to eat, Ask yourself questions, like, What's stressing me out? Why am I not happy? Then work on those issues. Eventually, you might stop turning to food for comfort. I find when I want to emotionally eat, it's because I'm not dealing with what's really bothering me. When I face my problems for what they really are, I tend to not need food to deal with the situation. Good luck!