sugar level always too high!

Options
Hey everyone-- I was just wondering if anyone has any huge issues with going over their sugar and carb and protein intake? I've been so careful trying to keep them at a good level-- but I always seem to go over my sugar intake! Does anyone have any nifty food ideas that might help reduce sugar intake at all? I'm a vegetarian so I know it should be too hard-- but even fruits and some vegetables have some sugar in them.

Of course, I understand that some sugar is good for you-- I try to eat my sugar through natural things, like fruit and maybe some yogurt for breakfast. But then I find myself still going over .

Any advice and help would be appreciated!

Replies

• kayleighlang5
    kayleighlang5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Usually the general consensus is not to worry about going over on sugars that you get from eating fresh fruit. Try to limit the refined sugars that are added to your foods, because they are refined/simplified and the body doesn't have to process them in any way so they basically just go straight into your bloodstream and give you a sugar high. Fruit sugars take more processing by your body and are released more slowly into your bloodstream, and the fruits contain lots of good nutrients that you need.

Nice! That definitely makes sense-- what about honey, though? I bought some local honey at the farmer's market that wasn't processed at all. In any case, I think that I'll definitely start replacing my sugar cravings with fruit from now on.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, do not stress about it. Also, do not get freaked out when the "sugar is the devil" brigade comes out..... or the "only eat fruits and veggies, all other sugar is bad" brigade comes out..... Sugar is sugar and sugar is a carb.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Honey is definitely better than processed sugar, but avoid adding any form of sugar to your food unless you really need/want it.
  • mamatooboys
    Options
    Yep. Me too. one pure fruit smoothie or just my morning coffee puts me over on allowed sugar intake. so my question is if sugar is a carb how do I convert it, and then can/do I reduce my carbs by that much?
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, do not stress about it. Also, do not get freaked out when the "sugar is the devil" brigade comes out..... or the "only eat fruits and veggies, all other sugar is bad" brigade comes out..... Sugar is sugar and sugar is a carb.
    this ^^^ x 1000000
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are getting your sugar from natural ( non-processed) sources for the most part, right? I wouldn't worry about the levels unless you find that you are completely deficient in protein and fat.

The only issue I have had myself is with processed sugar. If I eat it....a headache usually follows! Fruits/carbs from whole sources have never had this effect on me! And I LOVE raw honey! I use it in my coffee everyday! Bake with it. I also use maple syrup for baking!
  • dreamZgirl
    Options
    That's good to hear! I'm having the same issue. My sugar this week has been mostly from grapes- so good this time of year!!
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem at first, when I joined on Thursday. After, recording everything I ate on my first day, I realised why my energy levels have plumeted, as my bodys immune system is struggling to cope. Sugar, is known to lower the immune syste, and I have been fighting a virus for the past two weeks. I usually have symptoms, about this time of year, and have had no explanation, untill now. In the past few days, I have managed to keep my sugar levels within the exceptable levels, and I have had to swap, and change several times a day to find something to eat to maintain the high levels of Carbohydrates. Today, I opted for 500g of potatoes. But, if Carbohydrates are not used, they turn into sugar, and combined with high sugar levels, will result in weight gain, as sugar is turned into fat.
    We need Carbohydrates, as well as protein, to give us energy. Carbohydrates, is slower in energy release, and gives us a sense of well being, such as feeling full, and help to induce sleep. Carbohydrates, are therefore best consumed in the evening.
    MFP has helped me to realise my high sugar levels, and as a result, I have taken drastic measures to maintain a sensible sugar level. Finally, I know why I have been gaining weight, over the years, despite eating healthy.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Symptoms of sugar cravings, are usually a sign of vitamin deficiancy. As, vegetarians don't usually get all the necessary nutritiens, through food, it is recommended to take a daily supplement. I know some vegetarians, who take a yeast supplement, but a general multivitamin with minerals, is what I take every day.
  • korinnabauer
    Options
    I had the same problem at first, when I joined on Thursday. After, recording everything I ate on my first day, I realised why my energy levels have plumeted, as my bodys immune system is struggling to cope. Sugar, is known to lower the immune syste, and I have been fighting a virus for the past two weeks. I usually have symptoms, about this time of year, and have had no explanation, untill now. In the past few days, I have managed to keep my sugar levels within the exceptable levels, and I have had to swap, and change several times a day to find something to eat to maintain the high levels of Carbohydrates. Today, I opted for 500g of potatoes. But, if Carbohydrates are not used, they turn into sugar, and combined with high sugar levels, will result in weight gain, as sugar is turned into fat.
    We need Carbohydrates, as well as protein, to give us energy. Carbohydrates, is slower in energy release, and gives us a sense of well being, such as feeling full, and help to induce sleep. Carbohydrates, are therefore best consumed in the evening.
    MFP has helped me to realise my high sugar levels, and as a result, I have taken drastic measures to maintain a sensible sugar level. Finally, I know why I have been gaining weight, over the years, despite eating healthy.

So it depends on when i eat what? how to press down sugar levels? I really do not feeling like i eat a lot of sweets at all. I have jam once in a while and i need that bite of chocolate every day but i do not sugar my food at all....and the report still tells me that i often do not reach carb and/or protein levels but the sugar is always too high.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Eat less sugary foods
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    But, if Carbohydrates are not used, they turn into sugar, and combined with high sugar levels, will result in weight gain, as sugar is turned into fat.
    So you're telling me that because I ate a bunch of sugar today, I will gain fat overnight? :huh:
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're doing really well in general. If you're still concerned, look at switching your morning yogurt to something different--my diabetic family likes to call dairy "white Kool-Aid" for its tendency to be a hidden sugar bomb. Also, consider eating more whole fruit and drinking less juice.
  • korinnabauer
    Options
    Eat less sugary foods

Your levels are too high as well ;-)

Apart from my chocolate (which i NEED) the sugars are coming from 1 glass of milk, 1 apple and 1 pear - oh please! I think it is quite confusing that i am like doubled over my limit just by having some servings of fruit. That is devistating. I Mean, doesn-t the database want us to eat fruit?
  • kayleighlang5
    Options
    It looks like you're doing really well in general. If you're still concerned, look at switching your morning yogurt to something different--my diabetic family likes to call dairy "white Kool-Aid" for its tendency to be a hidden sugar bomb. Also, consider eating more whole fruit and drinking less juice.

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to start replacing my yogurt (even though I love it oh-so-much) with whole fruit. I was always told that it's good to have the majority of your sugar (GOOD SUGAR) intake in the morning, but perhaps I'm wrong about this? I've also totally learned my lesson on the juice part-- but if I made my own smoothie (with tofu and fruit, for example), would that be okay too? I guess you might need a juice base for that too.... perhaps if I used unsweetened soy milk....

Anywho, I'll definitely take that advice! Thanks!
  • kayleighlang5
    Options
    Eat less sugary foods

That's not really specific enough advice, I'm afraid. I'm asking on what good sugary foods I can replace from the bad once. Like fruit, which it sounds like I need to do : )
  • kayleighlang5
    Options
    Eat less sugary foods

Your levels are too high as well ;-)

Apart from my chocolate (which i NEED) the sugars are coming from 1 glass of milk, 1 apple and 1 pear - oh please! I think it is quite confusing that i am like doubled over my limit just by having some servings of fruit. That is devistating. I Mean, doesn-t the database want us to eat fruit?

That was my question too! But I think if the sugars is coming from something like fruit it's not as bad as refined sugars-- of course I still think that we all need to be aware of our fruit intake, too-- but really, it sounds like most of your sugar intake is from good food like fruit!
  • psulioness11
    Options
    I usually stay within my carb and protein limits, but I ALWAYS go over in my sugar limit! It really makes you see how much sugar we consume on a daily basis. It's very hard to pick foods that don't have sugar, as just about everything has sugar in it!

I really don't like it when people say "just eat less sugary foods." It's not that simple. Like I stated above, you can get sugar in just about anything, even if something isn't seen as a "sugary food." So it's hard to know how to rectify it.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    But, if Carbohydrates are not used, they turn into sugar, and combined with high sugar levels, will result in weight gain, as sugar is turned into fat.
    So you're telling me that because I ate a bunch of sugar today, I will gain fat overnight? :huh:

Yes, didn't you know, you can eat as many calories as you want but just don't eat carbs because they magically make you gain weight. Fat and protein don't turn into fat, just carbs. Logic.