Juicing Diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Tried it, it's no good for you, don't do it.

Juices are good, but you NEED the fibres. Smoothies would be better for you - make sure, however that you're getting enough protein. I'm not about to tell you how to live your life, but living without essential macros for a prolonged period will do some serious damage to your body, which can take some time to repair. Trust me, I know.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Juicing as your sole means of nutrition simply is not a good idea. You're under-consuming proteins, fats, and fiber. You very likely are not consuming a reasonable calorie deficit. You will poop yourself after 3-4 days if you laugh or sneeze too hard. Most excess nutrients are excreted out. And you will be losing mostly lean muscle mass rather than fat mass.

Add the juice in to a regular diet and I'm all for it.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Tried it, it's no good for you, don't do it.

Juices are good, but you NEED the fibres. Smoothies would be better for you - make sure, however that you're getting enough protein. I'm not about to tell you how to live your life, but living without essential macros for a prolonged period will do some serious damage to your body, which can take some time to repair. Trust me, I know.

Smoothies would be much better. Since you retain and consume all the fruit or vegetable used. You can boost protein by using greek yogurt or protein powder. The greek yogurt will taste much better. Also, you will get fewer calories for the volume because retaining the vegetable and fruit fiber adds the bulk. When you make juice you are concentrating a lot of natural sugars and and throwing out a lot of nutrients so you have a higher calorie intake for the volume consumed. That is why juicing diets are bad for diabetics.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Everything I've seen says liquified food has much lower satiety than "whole" food.
  • hoopsterdad
    hoopsterdad Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with the majority of the previous posts. We've recently bought a juicer and are finding it a nice way to add some additional fruits and vegetables into our diet. I think it's a good supplement to a healthy diet, but fear that nothing but juice could lead to loss of muscle and a lack of protein.
    Whatever you decide to do, I applaud your decision to try and be as healthy as possible. Good luck.
  • SLV9
    SLV9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    People... juicing should be looked at as a detox and not a weight loss plan.

You are getting a **** TON of fruit and veg into your body in one sitting. The lack of fibre helps your body quickly digest the liquid and use all of the nutrients so you can cleanse your organs for a restart. It's an unbelievably awesome way to kick start a healthy eating plan. I would say the amount of days it is done should be based on how clean you need to get and what's doable for you. Everyone is different. Continuing with juicing (or blending if your concerned with getting more fibre) daily afterwards also ensures you are reaching your fruit and veggie goals throughout the day. I recommended taking it in for breakfast when your stomach is empty and can easily absorb all of the nutrients. It's a great way to start your day and get a dose of energy in the morning.

I juice often and recommend it to everyone!
  • bigred503
    Options
    I drink a green smoothie every day. You get so much more out of a whole raw food smoothie than juicing alone. But other than more energy and what not strangely enough, my nails are stronger then they have ever been!

Edited to mention that i HAVE tried the juicing thing and for 3 whole days i felt like a hard core herion addicted coming off a binge. It is NOT easy. No matter what the benefits. You may be better off trying to incorporate it into you existing diet to start. Imo
  • StephanieMM2013
    Options
    I read recently in Women's Health, basically a bro-science article about juicing. It also said something like "at the end of the cleanse, if you feel good, its just a placebo effect".

WUT. Here's the definition of a placebo effect: "a beneficial effect, produced by a placebo drug or treatment, that cannot be attributed to the properties of the placebo itself, and must therefore be due to the patient's belief in that treatment."

Read: BENEFICIAL EFFECT. Its still beneficial.

I've since unsubscribed to the mag and speak bitterly of it often. Hehe :)

I know several people who've done it and had great results, and I know several people who tried and failed miserably (including myself, ashamed to say :/).

Why not try juicing as a supplement for now, and easing in? If it helps you a lot, maybe try a shorter juice fast? And so on? While you're easing in, do your research! Talk to people, read studies, experiences, etc!

And yes, do watch Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I'm distracted by all the lolz in here

Good luck OP
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I use my juicer everyday and love it. However, I also eat whole foods and get lots of protein, fiber, and fats from those whole foods which I can't possibly get in the juice. I juice because I simply *love* the taste of my juice recipes, and I have even juiced veggies that I think taste rancid on their own (celery, for one...I hate that crap, but mixed with carrot, apple, and lemon juices taste great!) and because I just simply wouldn't eat that many veggies on their own. But, I can't imagine haven't nothing but juice everyday all day. What a horrible existance to not be able to eat some delicious foods.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm distracted by all the lolz in here

Good luck OP

seriously!? this thread is super serious! Someone even mentioned juicing is a DETOX!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    People... juicing should be looked at as a detox and not a weight loss plan.

You are getting a **** TON of fruit and veg into your body in one sitting. The lack of fibre helps your body quickly digest the liquid and use all of the nutrients so you can cleanse your organs for a restart. It's an unbelievably awesome way to kick start a healthy eating plan. I would say the amount of days it is done should be based on how clean you need to get and what's doable for you. Everyone is different. Continuing with juicing (or blending if your concerned with getting more fibre) daily afterwards also ensures you are reaching your fruit and veggie goals throughout the day. I recommended taking it in for breakfast when your stomach is empty and can easily absorb all of the nutrients. It's a great way to start your day and get a dose of energy in the morning.

I juice often and recommend it to everyone!

LOLno.

my organs are not dirty thx.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Keeping in mind that MFP's fat and protein goals should be seen as a minimum and that the recommended amount of fiber is 25 grams, what's your plan to make sure you hit your macros and nutritional goals while juicing?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Juice as part of a balance diet = excellent

Only juice, no. You'll be very low in protein and fat, both of which are essential for your health, as well as fiber. You'll lose muscle at a much higher rate and may well end up at your goal weight with a body that you are not happy with. That would be such a waste. This will also not teach you how to eat a balanced diet.
  • lozu
    lozu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just got my new juicer. Fusion Juicer. I want to use this as a supplement or meal replacement mainly for good health not a detox. Just part of a "healthy eating" plan. Any suggestions from you veteran juicers??
  • slimjaques
    slimjaques Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just started having one glass of fresh juice made in our juicer every day after work. It's a much better choice than the glass of wine we had been having! The rest of our meals have been roughly the same calorie count but the weight loss kicked in this week when we started adding the juice (yes, and cutting out the alcohol). I don't like the idea of wasting the pulp - but know that we are getting so many more nutrients than we were previously. We tend not to eat packaged food (very few/no preservatives) as well. So - we're fans!! We have been including kale, cucumbers, carrots and celery in our juices along with apples, raspberries, peaches, plums, honey dew, cantaloupe, etc.
  • ginakiki
    ginakiki Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of my Nutri- Bullet, which liquifies the peels and seeds so you aren't discarding anything.
    I think that sounds better because it doesn't remove all the healthy fiber from the fruit and veggie.
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Save the pulp when you juice and put it in the freezer. When you have enough, make some muffins or yummy bread using the pulp for some nutrient rich and delicious food.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    We have been including kale, cucumbers, carrots and celery in our juices along with apples, raspberries, peaches, plums, honey dew, cantaloupe, etc.

Juicing kale just ruined everything for me. I found I had to use a ton of it, for just a little juice. And that kale juice just destroyed the taste of what was otherwise a fine tasting concoction. I can eat kale on salad, or whatever... but adding it to my juice really wrecked my day....

fT8PNBy6Tx-2.png