Protein and fat

Options
How can I get more protein in my diet without adding up fats , I seem to be getting more fat then protein daily.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Lean meats such as chicken, fish, etc.

Low/No fat dairy

Protein powder

Other things
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating fat. Fat is good for you. Eggs have more protein than fat, I think? Tuna does as well.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and turkey as well

Edit to add lady is right about fats they are quite satisfying so keep you from feeling hungry longer.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Would also help to open your diary so we can see how you are doing.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It should be open let me check my settings
  • whierd
    Options
    You're underconsuming fats a bit. You should be consuming around .35g/lb
  • Lizzym911
    Options
    Ii was wondering if the amount was ok or to low...
  • Lizzym911
    Options
    Thanks I guess I'll have to try changing the fat amount but then will it change the carb and protein amounts daily?
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Fat free greek yoghurt.
  • whierd
    Options
    Yes, your other macros will change as a result of changing your fat macro. .35g/lb for fats and 1g/lb of lean body mass for proteins. The carbs make up the remainder.
  • Lizzym911
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is all so confusing to me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Can't speak for the OP, but that's about 2x too much for me. Can't fit that much fat + 1 g/lb protein + exercise-friendly level of carbs into my TDEE-20%.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

Can't speak for the OP, but that's about 2x too much for me. Can't fit that much fat + 1 g/lb protein + exercise-friendly level of carbs into my TDEE-20%.
    Protein should be 1g/lb of lean body mass (not total weight) that should free up the carbs you need.
  • whierd
    Options

You sure about that?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Protein should be 1g/lb of lean body mass (not total weight) that should free up the carbs you need.

That's what I use. There's no room for it, once both protein and carb requirements are met.
    You sure about that?

100%.

300g carb -> 1200 calories
    175g protein -> 700 calories

Leaves 400 calories for fats, which isn't enough for 0.35 g/lb suggestion.

Dropping carbs much below that level leads to serious exercise problems (very active person). Something has to give, and its fat, because the other two can't.

If there's a set of macros that works for you, that's totally cool, but as a blanket recommendation I don't see how the guideline can fit the math. And that's ignoring recommendations I'm getting that because I'm lifting hard I should consider going to 1.2 g/lb on protein.
  • whierd
    Options

That's what I use. There's no room for it, once both protein and carb requirements are met.

How about you post your daily calorie goal and your body weight and approximate bodyfat percentage. You have me curious.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

You sure about that?

100%.

275g carb -> 1100 calories

Leaves 500 calories for fats, which is nowhere near enough for 0.35 g/lb suggestion.

Dropping carbs much below that level leads to serious exercise problems (very active person). Something has to give, and its fat.

I choose to eat 1 g/lb of total body weight for protein, to protect me from losing any muscle while I'm losing fat. So for me, fat's gotta drop below that 0.35 g/lb limit too. My carb levels are required for mental health and daily functioning. Very bad things happen when I try to limit them more than I do.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I am curious too. I have a problem getting too much fat when I up my protein. I tend to have high cholesterol so it is extra important to keep the fat levels under 30%.

I like Greek yogurt and chicken and tuna but eventually get really tired of the same thing. . .
  • whierd
    Options

You sure about that?

100%.

300g carb -> 1200 calories

Leaves 400 calories for fats, which isn't enough for 0.35 g/lb suggestion.

Dropping carbs much below that level leads to serious exercise problems (very active person). Something has to give, and its fat, because the other two can't.

If there's a set of macros that works for you, that's totally cool, but as a blanket recommendation I don't see how the guideline can fit the math. And that's ignoring recommendations I'm getting that because I'm lifting hard I should consider going to 1.2 g/lb on protein.

Active in what way? And why do you feel that 300g of carbs is necessary?

Do you understand the role of dietary fats?

Also, I missed the last part you wrote. 1.2g/lb on protein? I lift very heavy and I'm fine at ~1g/lb-lbm
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    Fat free greek yoghurt.

↑↑ this