SL 5x5 gals - when did you 1st plateau?

Options
I have just finished my third week doing Strong Lifts with my husband and for the first time today, I couldn't get all five overhead presses. I was only able to do 3 or 4 per set at 65 lbs. Am I absurdly weak or is that pretty normal to hit a plateau this early on?

Replies

• life_wontwait
    life_wontwait Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not unusual at all for that exercise. I could check my logs for when I plateaued, but being male, my exact week probably wouldn't help you, but I can say that the overhead press was the first I hit a plateau on and it was fairly early (I think around 95 pounds).

Now, if you were stalling out on the squats this early, then you've got something to worry about, but the overhead is tough - you won't see the kind of progress with that exercise as you will the others, but don't let that stop you.
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance. I am doing fine with the squats. The overhead press is really difficult for me though. I find it hard to see how I will ever be able to get past the 65 lb plateau.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I hit my first plateau at 100 lbs on the overhead press last week (6th week) with 5-5-2-2-2. The next workout I made sure I slept well the night before and ate (probably too much). Then I got really psyched and nailed the 100 lbs the next time with 5-5-5-5-5. You might surprise yourself the next time. I believe that almost everyone sticks first on the overhead press so what happened to you is pretty normal.
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hit my first plateau at 100 lbs on the overhead press last week (6th week) with 5-5-2-2-2. The next workout I made sure I slept well the night before and ate (probably too much). Then I got really psyched and nailed the 100 lbs the next time with 5-5-5-5-5. You might surprise yourself the next time. I believe that almost everyone sticks first on the overhead press so what happened to you is pretty normal.

Thank you for this. I did just as you said - ate a ton the day before, rested well, and was able to do 5, 5,5,4, 5. And the 4 would have been a 5, but I cheated a little and bent my knees. Last time I did it, I was 4, 3, 4, 3, 3 so I am really excited about the improvement. The next time I do it, I am hoping to do all five sets! Thanks so much!