eat healthy on a budget

Options
Hello everyone! I'm trying to lose weight but don't really know how to eat healthy. I've never been shown a healthy lifestyle so I'm used to quick easy processed foods. I have a VERY limited income and need to know how to eat better. How do I prepare breakfast and lunches on the go that will sustain me and be healthy? I'm not a big fan of vegetables and I really don't even know how to prepare most of them.. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks :-)

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm glad you're here and wanting to start a healthy lifestyle. I've just started losing weight a few months ago, so I'm no expert but I can give you a little advice.

First, eat veggies. Steam them (I just put mine in a shallow pan with a splash of water and put the lid on). Add salt and pepper and just eat them. If you don't like them, just keep eating them. Eventually you'll like them!

For breakfast, I really like grapes or strawberries and cottage cheese. Sometimes a granola bar. For lunches, I usually pack salads in a jar (dressing on the bottom). Shake it up at lunch time and you're good to go! I try not to do much bread/rice/pasta because it doesn't take much to go over on my calories for the day and I'd rather eat a TON of veggies than a tiny bit of pasta. Veggies also keep you really full for along time.

Drink lots of water throughout the day and at least a big glass of water before you eat.

Also, about the budget: fresh foods are very cheap. You may have to go to the store twice a week instead of once, but it's worth it. Frozen fruit and veggies are also very cheap to buy and won't go bad.

Good luck to you!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Okay so you need to have both breakfast and lunch on the go? Well I seen a recipe for a good on the go breakfast that you can prepare ahead of time: all you do is spray a muffin pan( you know not the mini one, but regular size) with cooking spray, then load up the bottom of the pan with anything you want but make sure you measure it out so you can keep track for later: you know put one or two ounces ham with some vegie that you do like then maybe some salsa for taste. Then put a already beaten egg on top and bake for like 14 minutes or so. Then you will have already made egg omelets. You can refrigerate these for a week. Just pull one out each day and microwave. I would add a banana or melon to that so your meal is rounded. Oatmeal packets are good too if you can get to some hot water, sometimes its right on the coffeepot.
    For lunches, you can do the salad thing or try new things like half cup fat free refried beans on two small corn tortillas with salsa and you have bean burritos... or tuna in water is a great source of protein and can be eaten in a salad or on bread, I don't add any dressing to my tuna just onions... or you can always go with a 2oz lean lunch meat on bread or lettuce. Try to eat apples, they have lots of fiber and vitamins. Greek yogurts are good too, they have loads of protein and fill you up. For dinners, you can be more creative becuae those don't have to be on the go. I would look at youtube videos for ideas. They have tons. You want to save money by buying bigger quantities and catching sales. Stay away from prepared stuff from the freezers. Chicken breasts are good to have around and you can make lots of different things with them. Look for leaner cuts of meats, drain any extra fats after cooking, trim all skin and fat before cooking. As far as vegies go, just try to introduce yourself to new ones a little at time. Steaming them or boiling them are good for most vegies. Don't add any butter, you wont need it. I am always looking for new ideas on food and ways to save money. If you have any questions or want to add me then that is cool.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I find that I've spent less on groceries since I started being more mindful of what I eat back in May. I used to eat a lot of bagged meals and frozen junk because I said I was too busy to cook from scratch all the time. Processed and packaged food may seem cheaper, but because it's not as nutritionally dense as whole foods, you don't stay full for as long.

Planning your meals and your shopping list is essential, especially when you're on a budget. I always check my grocery store's online flyer every week so I can plan my meals based on what's on sale. Most weeks I shop only once, and because of my teaching schedule, I'm finding it easier to do most of my cooking on the weekend so I don't have to think about meal prep after work. It takes a few hours every week, but if I have veggies and fruit chopped up for snacks and meals ready to be heated up, I'm not tempted to stop for takeout or to have a frozen pizza.

I try to load up on protein in the morning--eggs, oatmeal made with protein powder, Greek yogurt, or cottage cheese. I don't have a break at all in the morning, so I know protein will help me stay full until lunch. Most Sundays I make what I call egg cups: turkey bacon, diced veggies, egg whites, and a little cheese baked in muffin pans for about 20-25 minutes. Then I just reheat a few of those and add a piece of whole wheat toast or fruit and I'm good to go.

For lunches, I try to have some lean protein, lots of veggies, and a complex carb (quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat couscous or pasta). Last week, for instance, every day I had a few ounces of grilled flank stead, a half cup of quinoa, grilled onions and peppers, spinach, and either lime juice or salsa. I also usually have a piece of fruit, then later in the day I'll have another piece of fruit or a protein or Kind bar.

You might think you don't like vegetables because you've been overcooking them or not preparing them right. I used to overcook vegetables a lot, and they'd just be mush. If it's not something you like to eat raw, you can steam, grill, saute, or roast vegetables. You can top vegetables with things like lemon juice or Mrs. Dash seasoning to help them taste better without added fat or calories. Roasting is my favorite way to make vegetables that taste good. It brings out the natural sweetness in things like carrots or butternut squash, and it makes things like broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts taste nutty. I used to hate brussels sprouts, but if I toss them with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss them in the oven for 20 minutes or half an hour, I could eat a big bowl of them! Keep trying different vegetables until you find ones you like (or can at least tolerate).

Making the switch from processed foods to whole foods can be tough at first, but over time you'll start to feel so much better!
  • Lkkiser3
    Lkkiser3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all the suggestions! that muffin pan idea is a good one! I will definitely try that. where can I get protein from? I don't like yogurt or cottage chesse ( certain textures just gross me out) so does that just leave eggs and meat?
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I just thought of something: my boyfriend used to hate asparagus, green beans, spinach and carrots because he was raised just eating the canned versions. Ever since I made him the fresh versions, he loves all of those things! Not sure if you have the same story, but just a thought!
  • Some general tips: don't buy produce that isn't on sale. Make your selections for the week based on what's available and still nutritious. Like Gala apples but they only have Red Delicious on special? Go for the Red Delicious. You can also buy larger batches of meat. If you want chicken, buy a whole chicken and butcher it yourself instead of buying a pack of breasts and thighs. Check out local markets and watch the sales ads. Buy things in bulk and freeze. Eating healthy does not have to be expensive. If that doesn't help you, perhaps you could reduce your meat intake. Eggs are generally a cheap protein source.

Also, make a commitment to try a different kind of on sale vegetable each week. Are you just boiling things? Do you like raw veggies? What about roasting them or grilling?

Things you can try: roasted root vegetables, baked sweet potatoes, grilled peppers, grilled corn, roasted tomato, raw veggies as a snack, etc.

To roast vegetables, you need olive oil. If you can't afford a nicer variety, the big bottle on sale will do.

Something that works for me at my job is to bring things that don't have to be heated up/cooked anymore. I regularly bring bananas, apples, pears with natural nut butters, raw nuts, and seeds. You can also chop up your veggies for the week and pre-portion everything in the fridge. If you're sick of fruit try bringing a variety of veggies like celery, cucumber, tomato, etc. with hummus or a lighter dressing. For protein try boiled eggs, beans, or lean meats. I also like making big batches of soup so I can have easier dinners or something to eat for lunch.

Since you're just starting out, start small and build a good foundation for healthier habits. That means being prepared! Don't let being late/being tired/being stressed stop your progress. You are in control of your food/time and you can plan according to avoid issues. If you do eat a bit more than usual or have a few too many treats, don't panic!