How to train for a half marathon?

Options
Hey guys! I recently have started getting really serious about running and I'm starting to make really fast progress out of nowhere. For the entire summer I could run a maximum of four miles at a time, usually only three, and lately I've been able to run up to 9 miles some days. I've decided to train for a half marathon to push myself/have an end goal, but I really want to make sure I do it the correct way. I know rest days are important but I don't know much else about the whole process.

SO I guess my main questions are:
1) What kind of schedule should I be on to make sure I don't burn myself out?
2) How many rest days should I have per week?
3) On my rest days is it alright if I do some strength/circuit training?
4) What else do I need to know about training for a half marathon?
5) Are there certain things I should be eating?

This is a new thing for me. I used to hate running. Thank you so much for your tips and support. And feel free to add me!

Replies

• purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump! :)
  • mlk8604
    mlk8604 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

This is a new thing for me. I used to hate running. Thank you so much for your tips and support. And feel free to add me!

First off, congratulations on deciding on running a half!! I ran my first half in May, and I LOVED it. :) This is the training program I used: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

To answer your questions, I would use the schedule provided at the bottom of the link. I rested Sundays and Fridays. I ran Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Then cross training and/or strength training on Mondays and Wednesdays. As far as eating, I kept to my MFP guidelines for the most part. Obviously if you're running 10 miles, you'll want to eat more than your rest days. You've probably heard of carb-loading. I think this is OK, but only in moderation. I planned my long runs for Saturdays. I would have pasta/bulk carbs on Friday night, but not like 3000 calories. I think some people go a little overboard with this. Then remember to bulk back up on protein on Saturday after your run. The thing I would stress above everything else is to drink A LOT of water. I was finding I was more drained from water/sweat loss than anything else. Especially if it's hot where you live.

Good luck to you!! Feel free to add me as a friend. I have a few more races planned this year :)
  • purple4sure05
    Options

First off, congratulations on deciding on running a half!! I ran my first half in May, and I LOVED it. :) This is the training program I used: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

To answer your questions, I would use the schedule provided at the bottom of the link. I rested Sundays and Fridays. I ran Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Then cross training and/or strength training on Mondays and Wednesdays. As far as eating, I kept to my MFP guidelines for the most part. Obviously if you're running 10 miles, you'll want to eat more than your rest days. You've probably heard of carb-loading. I think this is OK, but only in moderation. I planned my long runs for Saturdays. I would have pasta/bulk carbs on Friday night, but not like 3000 calories. I think some people go a little overboard with this. Then remember to bulk back up on protein on Saturday after your run. The thing I would stress above everything else is to drink A LOT of water. I was finding I was more drained from water/sweat loss than anything else. Especially if it's hot where you live.

Good luck to you!! Feel free to add me as a friend. I have a few more races planned this year :)

Thanks for the tips!! I definitely will be using that link :)
  • chichitao
    chichitao Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What she said!

I had copied the exact Hal Higdon training plan page and was going to post it on here and then saw someone had already done that.

His website is invaluable to runners of all levels. I've used many of his plans with great success. Best of luck!
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    What she said!

I had copied the exact Hal Higdon training plan page and was going to post it on here and then saw someone had already done that.

His website is invaluable to runners of all levels. I've used many of his plans with great success. Best of luck!

My only qualm is that he says to stop at 10 miles because endurance will push you through the last three... Not so sure about that one :P but thank you for all of the advice! I'm gonna try out sticking to this schedule this week and see how it goes.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You'll do great! :) I think one of the biggest things is not to do too much too fast. I know I'll feel great at a certain mileage and want to keep going, but it's important to take it slow. Up your mileage by about 10% per week.

I've done halfs and fulls and I usually run 3-6 miles on MWF, cross train on T/R, and then long run on Sat with a rest day on Sun (this week I switched them around though because of my son's soccer game). Even on my rest days I'll walk with my kids or go on a leisurely bike ride.

Listen to your body- if something feels off or hurts, ICE it and rest. Buy your spot in the race and tell everyone (in your family, on FB, MPF, wherever you can get support and be held accountable). I know once I pay for it, I don't want to back out lol!

Carb loading.... yeahhh. Well, I think most people take that to the extreme. You don't need 3-7 days of a million calories of carbs for a half or full marathon. You do want to focus a higher percentage of your calories toward carbs to sustain your energy levels but you don't need 10 bowls of pasta. It's all about balance. And on the subject of eating- try to eat the same thing before your runs (especially long runs). You don't want to surprise your stomach the day before or day of a race or you'll be sick/hitting up the porta-potty. Once I forgot my breakfast for a marathon and ended up eating a garlic breadstick from Olive Garden at 4:30 am- yuck! I breathed garlic the whole run, even with a lot of gum and other food.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've used hal higdon for a half in the past. In fact I am using his intermediate plan with a few modifications right now. I do find him a bit conservative (which is good for a beginner, if you follow him you probably won't end up injured). His intermediate plan only went up to a 12 mile long run but I'm doing 13 14 and 15 mile long runs. For you, going up to 13 in training would probably be ok. I did it for my first and it helped with my confidence.

I strength train 2 or 3 days a week, I will do it on a rest day or a run day but not a long run day.

I do not believe in carbo loading for a half. Eat normal. On a long run day, eat more than normal, but a mixture of foods. Yes eat carbs, but mostly in the form of vegetables.

For my first 2 halfs I only did 4 days of running, which is probably a good idea for your first as well. You really don't want to end up injured. You can add days for future races.

And stretch out with a foam roller after your runs.

Good luck!
  • Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the Galloway run-walk-run half marathon program. His program breaks up the run between short intervals of walking and running. By alternating walking and running you lower the chance of injuring yourself and many of those who use this technique actually run faster times than if they run the entire distance non-stop. I started with the Galloway easy 5k app for my smartphone when I was morbidly obese weighing over 300 pounds. After finishing the 5k program I moved to his 10k program and then the half program. This past week was the 16 month mark from my first day running. In that time I have gone from running 18 minute miles to completing the Disneyland Half last weekend in 1:53. The running program also helped me lose 115 pounds.
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I know it seems crazy, but your adrenaline will push you through those last three miles. You can add a couple of weeks to your program if you would like to work up to 12 before the race. I'm following a different program, and my race is two weeks from yesterday, and I ran 12 yesterday. Now I start to taper the mileage down until race day. That is the difference in training schedules. So I would suggest picking one and sticking to it because they have their reasons for doing what they do.

I second the stretching with a foam roller. Nothing is more effective for stretching. You are so young, but it's always a good idea to get the stretching in. At 30 years older than you, I find that if I don't keep loose, I "run" into a problem with my one knee at about the 10-mile mark.

Good luck! Running is a beautiful thing. It's something you can enjoy for the rest of your life.
  • sunnybear39
    sunnybear39 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the marathonrookie.com. There is a half marathon training program that takes you up to 12 miles before the race. I used this training program for my first half marathon and felt very prepared for the race.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • cwsikes
    Options
    You'll finish even if you previous longest run is only 10 miles. Time will go by quicker during the race and you'll be distracted a lot more. Plus, at that point, what would your other option be? Stopping? Walking the rest? Either way you will finish and you'll push yourself to finish.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm another Hal Higdon fan. I was like you - stopping at 10 miles wasn't going to be enough, so I modified it so that I was running up to 12 miles in my last training run.

Also I just started using the RunKeeper training plans. So far so good :) I'm working to build speed now.