Beginner runner having constant calf pain- is it normal?

Options
I am in my third week of the couch to 5k program, and I am a beginner at running. Before I mention my problem let me state these so it can help factor out possible reasons why I'm having pain in my calves.

I drink 8-12 8 oz. glasses of water every day.
I stretch several times a day and before and after I exercise.
I have new running shoes.

It feels like there are bowling balls in my calves and it hurts to walk. The pain is constant and I've been pushing through running but am worried the muscles could be pulled or torn.

Is this normal to have pain like this when you start out running? Should I take it easy or keep pushing through it? I don't want to hurt myself but I definitely don't want to stop running either.
I'd love your suggestions and input!

Replies

• joek5637
    joek5637 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem it is going to hurt especially when you first start but if you are having constant pain you should cut back take it slow an I found that eat bananas or take a potassium supplement helps to an get a good pair of running shoes
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    Make sure you are replenishing electrolytes, not just water

Try foam rolling or using a rolling stick/pin rather than just stretching (look for videos on you tube - will help a lot!)

It may be the new shoes - did you get fitted at a real running store?

Try calf compression sleeves or socks - they make a huge difference. Worth the $$$.

If they start to feel tight while running, slow down. That helps. If they tighten up to the point where it feels like something might pop or tear, STOP.

Yes, this is normal/common - you can take steps to help improve it, though. Gets better if you're aggressive about dealing with it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I had calf pain at the beginning. I iced my calves every night, and it helped.
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    we are bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-s ok I like that song but really potassium you will get calf cramps if you are low even if you drink a lot of water.
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    What would you recommend to drink afterwards with electrolytes? I watch my sugars and I get nervous about drinking things like gatorade. I drink alot of water because I quit drinking pop and only drink water now... sometimes with fresh lemon.
  • jolieblossom
    Options

Try foam rolling or using a rolling stick/pin rather than just stretching (look for videos on you tube - will help a lot!)

Try calf compression sleeves or socks - they make a huge difference. Worth the $$$.

If they start to feel tight while running, slow down. That helps. If they tighten up to the point where it feels like something might pop or tear, STOP.

Yes, this is normal/common - you can take steps to help improve it, though. Gets better if you're aggressive about dealing with it.

What would you recommend to drink afterwards with electrolytes? I watch my sugars and I get nervous about drinking things like gatorade. I drink alot of water because I quit drinking pop and only drink water now... sometimes with fresh lemon.
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    we are bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-s ok I like that song but really potassium you will get calf cramps if you are low even if you drink a lot of water.

Lol, love that song too!! I eat 1-2 bananas a day... is that enough?? lol i try to find other food high in potassium, but i havent found much so far.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    try eating some protein before and after your workouts: it is muscle food. Make sure your shoes aren't the problem. Don't push yourself too hard too fast. Taking warm baths with Epsom salt in the water relieve muscle aches. Make sure you have good form when running/walking briskly.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I use the mio sport, it has electrolytes in it, including potassium which always gives me issues if I get too low. Magnesium is another one that can cause muscle knots, but that is best absorbed through the skin. Epsom salt baths on the regular have really helped me with that. And last but not least, foam roller, especially if you plan to continue running. Your calves will be the first thing to lock up, but soon you'll have issues with quads, hamstrings, glutes, everything. If I don't work to keep all of that loose, I start pulling everything out of whack from my lower back down.
  • rage032
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know anything about electrolytes or potassium so I can't comment about either of those. I also had calf pain when walking/running when I first started. I just suffered through it, after a few weeks my calves got used to being worked and I haven't felt pain from running since.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal as a beginner. My fav calve stretch is to stand on the steps (holding onto the railing) with my toes and go up/down... Hope I explained to right.

Also make sure to take rest days. G2 is a good alternative to the sugars in Gatorade.

Good luck!
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    when i first started running, i couldn't walk for about 2 weeks. my calves were really tight and really sore, but eventually the pain and soreness went away. taking it easy and rest was key. now my knees hurt. :^(

like you i drink lots of water - between 10-12 cups on average. i stay away from sports drinks because of the high sugar content, but a little at a time wouldn't hurt, i guess. you said you just got new shoes. hopefully you got fitted at a running store because they place you in the "right" shoe (support shoe vs. neutral shoe, etc.). it's on the expensive side, but well worth it. do try the foam roller, although, i have never used it on my calves - only on quads, hamstrings and thighs. i've thought about taking a potassium supplement, but haven't actually done it yet.

good luck!
  • t_paule
    t_paule Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to hurt here and there, and I still do. I really really hate running but I run about 6 miles 5 times a week. I usually mix a drink of amino acids - Amino Vital, only 25 cal.
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    when i first started running, i couldn't walk for about 2 weeks. my calves were really tight and really sore, but eventually the pain and soreness went away. taking it easy and rest was key. now my knees hurt. :^(

like you i drink lots of water - between 10-12 cups on average. i stay away from sports drinks because of the high sugar content, but a little at a time wouldn't hurt, i guess. you said you just got new shoes. hopefully you got fitted at a running store because they place you in the "right" shoe (support shoe vs. neutral shoe, etc.). it's on the expensive side, but well worth it. do try the foam roller, although, i have never used it on my calves - only on quads, hamstrings and thighs. i've thought about taking a potassium supplement, but haven't actually done it yet.

good luck!

Sorry about your knees... I have several friends with knee problems and they always stay away from running. Props to you for pushing through it! I have never been fitted for shoes... but I did do the thing at walmart that tests your foot pressure and I got gelly insoles because I am very flat footed... I guess I will go this week to get fitted for new running shoes. and everyone keeps talking about this foam roller- i def have to try it out. thanks :)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Word of warning about the foam roller, the first few times you use it you will be convinced it is an arcane torture device. Do it anyways, you will feel AMAZING when you are done.

Also, lacrosse ball for shoulders and glutes if you start getting serious knots, it works in better on those small deeper muscles.
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    Word of warning about the foam roller, the first few times you use it you will be convinced it is an arcane torture device. Do it anyways, you will feel AMAZING when you are done.

Also, lacrosse ball for shoulders and glutes if you start getting serious knots, it works in better on those small deeper muscles.

haha thanks for the heads up! sounds like the shiatsu back massager i had to get when i injured my lower back.... i def need to get this foam roller!!!
  • AisforAmazing19
    Options

Quoted for truth. Slooooow down. Foam roll. Rest when you need. It gets better!
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Have you tried shoe inserts? I know when I first started I needed to have my feet measured to figure out the type of inserts and what type of foot support worked for me. You might need to find a good running shoe store though. Roadrunner is one I like, but they are not cheap.

And I am not talking about dr scholes,, though I am not bashing those because I use those in my everyday shows. I am talking about ones where you are measured while running barefoot. Under pressure our feet, act differently running then when just standing still.
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    Have you tried shoe inserts? I know when I first started I needed to have my feet measured to figure out the type of inserts and what type of foot support worked for me. You might need to find a good running shoe store though. Roadrunner is one I like, but they are not cheap.

And I am not talking about dr scholes,, though I am not bashing those because I use those in my everyday shows. I am talking about ones where you are measured while running barefoot. Under pressure our feet, act differently running then when just standing still.

No I just have the gelly dr scholls inserts for my shoes.. I'm very flat footed and I thought they'd help
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in week 5 of c25k (although I've repeated some workouts, so it's kinda week 7 for me. :) ) When I started, I had similar calf pains. I would massage them roughly with my thumbs. (I've heard foam rollers are good - or pool noodles.) I also found that changing my form helped too. I'm still experimenting, but in the beginning, I landed on the front of my foot. I started focusing on landing mid-foot instead, taking shorter strides, and making sure my legs landed beneath me. That really seemed to help a lot with the calf-soreness. Good luck, slow down and feel free to repeat weeks, but don't give up!