If your dog died & you got another would it be same breed?

Options

Replies

• Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My fifteen and a half year old Golden Retriever passed away in May. I have a 6 year old Alaskan Malamute as well. I too, like another poster - can't imagine my life without a Goldie in it, and one day perhaps I'll be brave enough to make that move. In the meantime, because the Mally is such a *****, she'll probably be an only dog for a while. I know she misses him as well.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Our dog, at 13, still has quite a few years left, but we've already talked about getting another mini poodle. They are so darn smart that I think it would be hard to adjust to another breed. We also like that they don't shed and can be picked up and snuggled. The one downside is they need to be groomed every 6 weeks. That's a pain and expensive.
  • desertSNOUT
    Options
    No... (frankly I'd have another species for a season).

I could never have a chihuahua again now that I think about it.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much for all your replies. It was great to hear your opinions. :happy: If anyone else wants to share their opinion, go for it! :)
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the replies whatsoever, so forgive me if this has been said before, but I would not get the same "breed" dog. Instead, I'd get a "mutt," because pure breds are so inbred over time, they are prone to health issues specific to their gene pool. I don't like the idea of tinkering with nature that way, so I'd rather roll my dice on a mutt. Plus rescuing a friendly face is far more appealing than paying a breeder.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go out of my way to get a different breed, if it happens, it happens, I had a German Shepard who was a rescue dog, and he passed away. Now I have my Akita/Pitbull mix, and I've had him since he was 4 weeks old had to bottle feed him and everyhting. I would say though, that I wouldn't get another big dog unless I owned a home with a big yard!!! I take my dog to the park at least once or twice a week, since I live in a townhouse,and the complex tried to give me a hard time about my dog, but on his paperwork I just put Akita mix since apparently it's not on the "aggressive" dog list, and a lot of people don't even know what Akita's look like thankfully!!!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    When my beloved beagle died, I got a Havanese. Abby is a loving little companion dog, but I will not compare my canine children.
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Ι've adopted my dog from a shelter and it's not a breed but mixed. My advice would be to adopt a dog from a shelter. You won't have to pay to buy your best friend and it will be lucky to live a life full of love. :)
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    As a kid I had a Toy Poodle, then a Bichon Frise (parents wanted small, non shedders).

Once on my own I got an Airedale pup (Brandy), when he passed I contacted Airedale Rescue and have had 2 boys thru them (Skip & Bear) and currently have a girl (Jill) . I also had a female ex racing Grey who I lost to osteosarcoma when she was almost 7 (Streak)

I also fostered for the local Greyhound organization and have an adopted girl as well (Brook)

When these 2 girls pass on, hopefully way down the road, I will be getting another Airedale, most like from Rescue here. I don't want to deal with dog hair all over everything, but it's definitely a personal preference.
  • JamieH1984
    JamieH1984 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    All of our dogs have been rescues so, no. We tend to stay away from the breeds that are really popular (labs, goldens to name 2 breeds) due to health/temperment issues due to over breeding. If you go the way of the mutt you sometimes see your dog live considerably longer than a "breed" dog. Our first dog was a Lab/Cocker mix and she lived to be 20 years old.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    We had a Bull Mastiff dog who died of cancer. We went out and got another Bull Mastiff because we love the breed. They have such funny personalities. This one is a girl and a very loving girl she is too. They are very strong willed though so they take a lot of time and patience but are very intelligent.

Our other dog is a rescue dog. He had been in kennels for two years and nobody wanted him because he isn't a pretty dog. We decided he had done his time and he came home with us. He is a very loving dog. Couldn't have been better and both the Mastiff and him get on great together, sleeping in the same basket, eating out of the same bowl and never an angry word in or growl in 7 years.

We found out later that he was due to be put to sleep the day after we took him because they only keep them so long. Glad we took him.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Can we have this thread about spouses?

You will probably marry the same person over and over again. My dad married the same woman three times. One wife divorced him (and the wife that divorced him married someone who looked exactly like my dad!), my mom passed away, and then there's his current wife - same look (hair, eyes, and body type), same college education & field of study, and same overall situation.

My dad has been married since he was 18. He likes being married. He knows who he likes being married to and that's pretty much that.

Note: I know you were probably being tongue-in-cheek, but I answered you anyway.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    My first dog that was actually mine was an Alaskan Husky. I absolutely loved his personality. He was my best friend and was always there for me. It was very hard for me to put him down ater 10 years. When getting a new dog I decided not to go with a Husky for a few reasons. First, my dog was an escape artist. He could get out of every collar we put him in and loved to run. We had to result to a pinch collar which was no fun for him and he even got out of that a few times. He was the smartest dog ever which meant he knew when we were trying to catch him. He hated being cooped up and always wanted to be free to go where he pleased. He loved to run and always thought it was a game when you tried to catch him. Living in an apartment in a very busy town I decided that a husky was not a good option. Also, after going to college I had grown acustom to not having dog hair everywhere and I prefer that way. Huskies have a lot of hair.

I got two little chihuahua mixes because some apartments have size restrictions. I've never been much of a small dog person but I absolutely love my little ones. I don't think I would get Chihuahuas again just because a small dog is so hard to train because they're at my ankles. They also have small bladders. However, I will have these two for the next 15 years and I'm okay with that. I would like my next dog to be a Rotweiler or a Pitbull. They incredibly smart and loyal and can be great dogs when raised correctly. However, I live in Wisconsin and a lot of cities in Wisconsin have breed restrictions as well as insurance companies so living here a Rotweiler or a Pitbull will be dificult to own.
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options
    Of course! I'm gonna clone that *kitten* and give him the same name!
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Of course! I'm gonna clone that *kitten* and give him the same name!

lol..

Nope, I love my dogs and it would be devastating...no replacing.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Last Thursday, I lost my little dog Buddy to liver disease. I don't think it's totally even hit me yet. Buddy was a dachshund.

I have another little dachshund, a minature named LilBit, who is obviously very lonely and sad now. She keeps curling up in Buddy's bed rather than her own and just lays quietly - which is unlike her. I thought about getting her another dog as a companion, and I thought it would be best to get another small dog. I went out yesterday to a rescue shelter and found a puppy that was a dachshund mix. She was an adorable little thing, but I just couldn't bring myself to take her just yet. It felt like I was trying to replace Buddy, which is something I could never do.

To answer the question - I don't know. Since this dog would be inside the house as a companion for LilBit, I want a small dog but I'm not sure if I want another dachshund or not. I'm afraid if I do, I will always compare him or her to Buddy and the newcomer would always fall short of that goal. The only thing I know for sure is that I want it to be a rescue as is the case with all of my pets.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I have a lab, and yes i would get another lab. However, I also want to get a Rottweiler, an anatolian alsation and maybe an Irish wolfhound. First, I need a bigger house.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Why are you sceptical about the same breed? If they died young through health issues common in that breed, and I took it very badly, no I probably wouldn't. Then again, every breed has some form of health issues specific to them.

For me, I'd probably get a different breed. We have a golden retriever at the moment who I adore, and we're planning on getting another dog shortly (something different) but there are 2 or 3 different breeds I'd like to have and I don't want more than 2 dogs at a time, (unless we have a mahoosive house, then it might be 3) So I think if 1 were to die, we'd get the other breed to experience life with them. I do love goldens though, so it might be a tough choice!
  • QueenWino
    Options
    I've had a lot of dogs, all from a shelter or another form of rescue, and I've had a range of mixed mutts. The breed was irrelevant for me; what mattered was the love and bond formed between the dogs and myself, whether the dog was a handsome prince or a terrible devil. I had to put our old Beagle, pug mix down 3 months ago and though we have 2 very large dogs, and I believe 2 is a great number, I find myself reading Craigslist Pets every single day, just to see if a story hits me. I almost called about one dog who pulled me, but I wasn't sure I was ready. It is a different experience than the pound, and I have seen every size animal, with some very moving histories. I like to think we end up with the animals meant for us however we go about acquiring them.
  • playitagainsam
    playitagainsam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It really is your own personal preference. I doubt that I would get the same breed...judging from my track record. Throughout my life, I have had a Poodle, 2 muts, a Shih Tzu, Chihuahua, German Shepherd, Collie, Golden Retriever, and currently a Boston Terrier. I acually have my sights set on a Pug right now.