Calories are NOT equal

Options

Replies

• harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy every day and never go near my calorie count--and since they over estimate the workout calories I always make sure I have a 100 to 200 deficit daily as well. I am doing fine and going at a slow ads steady pace. BUT my trainer has taken all processed foods from my diet and I do not add salt to my food anymore WITH THE EXCEPT OF EGGS--they are wayyyyy to gross without alittle salt. And this is not a diet for me at this stage--this is a lifestyle change and I am all the better for it!!
  • ruejacobs
    Options
    Finances not-withstanding, I gravitate towards fresh fruits and raw veggies with a vinaigrette. But I crave whole milk, chunks of cheese (2 ounces tops per serving) and at least 2 sodas a day (sodas for caffeine instead of coffee because coffee sends me to the bathroom for the rest of the day, and there are much better things I could be doing with my time than rereading back issues of Time and GoT on the potty, thanks.). I prefer baked foods to fried, and fish and chicken to beef (although I will not flee from a juicy Red Robin burger if it's sitting in front of me. I will reduce that burger to mere crumbs within seconds, in fact, given half a chance.).

Since I am starting a new job, though, I can afford only cans of processed genetically modified spaghettios (and dinosaur shaped ones at that!) and ramen noodles if I would like to eat everyday. I like to be able to eat everyday, so it's processed crap for me until I can afford my favorite foods.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Comparison-6-13_small.png

The horrid, disgusting thing on the right is the product of fast food and ice cream.

Tell your children! Let me be a warning.

That towel makes me unhappy for some odd reason.

On subject: Truth 1: I hit my macros most nights (it balances by Sunday) and I get my micronutrients daily (usually hit my weekly value by Thursday)

Truth 2: I fit Wendy's in twice a week and cookies, ice cream, or brownies nightly.

Why does Truth 2 magically render Truth 1 void?

^This. Not the bit about the towel, I am happy for it's existence. But it sounds like you've found your personal perfect balance. When you find your personal balance you are on track to long term success.

If your diet feels like work in any way, it's probably not going to hold long term. I don't wish failure on anyone, but the fact of the matter is that if maintaining a 100% 'clean' diet is hard work, you are more likely to fail.

For those whose ideal balance is genuinely 100% 'clean' and 0% convenient, that's great. But understand that not everyone can dedicate to a diet like that, and that doesn't mean that they aren't getting any health benefits from the simple act of cutting weight and learning portion control.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Read Fast Food Nation. It's just unbelievable to me the venom with which people will defend processed food. The makers of fast foods and processed foods love you; their advertising dollars have been well spent.

And it's unbelievable to us how many people fall for propaganda like these books. It goes both ways.
  • ruejacobs
    Options
    And what in the name of all that's holy is a macro, please? Sounds like something Hubs might put on my computer for playing MMORPGs.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    And what in the name of all that's holy is a macro, please? Sounds like something Hubs might put on my computer for playing MMORPGs.

Macronutrient. Carbs, protein, and fat. These are the nutrients that the body uses for energy and therefore have calories and come in large amounts in food. This is in contrast to micronutrients, which are not used for energy but are needed by the body for other purposes. Micronutrients are mostly vitamins and minerals.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Genes play a big part of it. Macros for one person may be ok but the same diet would cause high cholesterol in another.

Wut.
    this is true. high cholesterol is genetic. some people are predisposed for high cholesterol. and the have to watch their intake
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Genes play a big part of it. Macros for one person may be ok but the same diet would cause high cholesterol in another.

Wut.
    this is true. high cholesterol is genetic. some people are predisposed for high cholesterol. and the have to watch their intake

Watch their intake of... what, exactly?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Comparison-6-13_small.png

The horrid, disgusting thing on the right is the product of fast food and ice cream.

Tell your children! Let me be a warning.

That towel makes me unhappy for some odd reason.

On subject: Truth 1: I hit my macros most nights (it balances by Sunday) and I get my micronutrients daily (usually hit my weekly value by Thursday)

Truth 2: I fit Wendy's in twice a week and cookies, ice cream, or brownies nightly.

Why does Truth 2 magically render Truth 1 void?

^This. Not the bit about the towel, I am happy for it's existence. But it sounds like you've found your personal perfect balance. When you find your personal balance you are on track to long term success.

If your diet feels like work in any way, it's probably not going to hold long term. I don't wish failure on anyone, but the fact of the matter is that if maintaining a 100% 'clean' diet is hard work, you are more likely to fail.

For those whose ideal balance is genuinely 100% 'clean' and 0% convenient, that's great. But understand that not everyone can dedicate to a diet like that, and that doesn't mean that they aren't getting any health benefits from the simple act of cutting weight and learning portion control.

Heathen.

I hate threads like this. I was gonna have an egg white and asparagus omelet but now I want a bacon cheeseburger. Clean eaters are always sabotaging me.
  • Yes that's completely true. Like if I ate oatmeal which was 200 calories, it would keep me full for longer and my metabolism would be higher, which means I'd burn fat faster. But if i ate a sugary cereal, it would store it as fat and wouldn't keep me full. And fizzy drinks with 0 calories, they're so bad for you and it has really bad effects on you.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Read Fast Food Nation. It's just unbelievable to me the venom with which people will defend processed food. The makers of fast foods and processed foods love you; their advertising dollars have been well spent.

Stop. That book made my brain bleed. I'd read wheat belly four more time before I read Fast Food Nation again.
    So I guess you mean it was worse than terrible? :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yes that's completely true. Like if I ate oatmeal which was 200 calories, it would keep me full for longer and my metabolism would be higher, which means I'd burn fat faster. But if i ate a sugary cereal, it would store it as fat and wouldn't keep me full. And fizzy drinks with 0 calories, they're so bad for you and it has really bad effects on you.

200 calories of oatmeal may keep you full longer than sugary cereal, absolutely.

However, you won't be burning fat faster by eating oatmeal than Froot Loops.
  • RBurnham90
    RBurnham90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    strong troll thread op
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yes that's completely true. Like if I ate oatmeal which was 200 calories, it would keep me full for longer and my metabolism would be higher, which means I'd burn fat faster. But if i ate a sugary cereal, it would store it as fat and wouldn't keep me full. And fizzy drinks with 0 calories, they're so bad for you and it has really bad effects on you.

What if I said that either way (oatmeal or coco puffs) I'd be hungry an hour later, because that's just not enough food?

And...I can't even get into the rest. Sugary cereal stores as fat? Fizzy diet drinks have (unnamed) bad effects? What?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I hate threads like this. I was gonna have an egg white and asparagus omelet but now I want a bacon cheeseburger. Clean eaters are always sabotaging me.
    I know! Now I want a burger too. But I already pre-logged my clean Subway lunch, so I can't have one... or wait, is Subway clean or dirty? :tongue:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I know! Now I want a burger too. But I already pre-logged my clean Subway lunch, so I can't have one... or wait, is Subway clean or dirty? :tongue:

Its clean as long as you pre-logged in a couple chocolate chip cookies with your Sub and chips....:drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

How would your metabolism be higher?

Carbonated water is bad for you?

Sugary cereal would be stored as fat if you are at a caloric deficit?
  • Some people need to google what a calorie is a unit of.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    holy Bro Science Batman
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

There are three (well, really four if you count alcohol) macros (macronutrient)

Protein, Fats and Carbs.