Food Addiction?!

Options

Replies

• thesoup11
    thesoup11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with having a small amount of what you crave on hand . I find that if I crave something I can have every thing else but that and still not be happy . So now I have a little of whatever it is I want and the craving goes - without me having hundreds of extra calories .
    I agree with this that is exactly what happens to me
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    OP: I have yet to meet the perfect person. I believe no one on here is perfect otherwise they would be just too perfect to need help or search for answers.Addictions and cravings are certainly real.

Take this from someone who has been sober for 3 years so I can certainly sympathize with the cravings you are having. No you aren't strange or weird. However, you may need to do some soul searching and find the root cause of your cravings. It isn't a pleasant process but nothing worth while is. Basically, you need to know why you do what you do to be able to change those behavioral responses. Fortunately or unfortunately the mind is a tremendous tool that can be retrained to change habits. Good luck to you in your weight loss journey I am certain you will do great!
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    OP: I have yet to meet the perfect person. I believe no one on here is perfect otherwise they would be just too perfect to need help or search for answers.Addictions and cravings are certainly real.

Take this from someone who has been sober for 3 years so I can certainly sympathize with the cravings you are having. No you aren't strange or weird. However, you may need to do some soul searching and find the root cause of your cravings. It isn't a pleasant process but nothing worth while is. Basically, you need to know why you do what you do to be able to change those behavioral responses. Fortunately or unfortunately the mind is a tremendous tool that can be retained to change habits. Good luck to you in your weight loss journey I am certain you will do great!

^^This. "Basically you need to know why you do what you do to be able to change..."
    It's probably not the evil food. It's probably you. I wish that it were so easy as to just be the substance, whether it be food, or drugs, or sex, or working, or working out, or WHATEVER, but life isn't that black and white.
    Look deep.
    Good luck.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    with all due respect. I have never experienced that, but have had close family members die of heroin addiction, so I feel that I have every right to post in a thread when people try to use hard drug addictions as examples as they have no idea what they are talking about.

As long as you are honest about having an opinion on something you haven't personally experienced, it's all good.

Like I said in the last go-around on this topic, there are of course obvious differences between physiological addictions and behavioral addictions.

This does not change the fact that they are both addictions, and they both take enormous amounts of willpower to break.

Too many people here want to discount behavioral addictions as imaginary. They aren't. People who think they are should not be posting in these kinds of discussions, public or not. You aren't helping.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    they are both addictions

According to who? You?
  • soullightprisms
    Options
    This topic really caught my eye. I recovering herion/meth addict of 5 years. I am also a food addict. When I got sober it now seems to me, that I switched addictions. When I got sad,mad,happy, or well anytIhing I would eat. It is the same thing I did when I got a fix. I can say for myself that the withdraw from drug.s is beyond anything that you ever want to go thru. With that being said, in my eyes addiction is addiction. It is the underlining issue. The way to overcome any addiction is to understand why it became one in the first place.
  • workoutmarie
    workoutmarie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Quite often what we think are "cravings" is really a symptom of habit that often starts particularly women when they start dieting and too often at an early age (teens) and often has nothing to do with food. Eating or binging, feeling guilty, feeling like a failure them promising through sheer will power to start all over tomorrow is just a vicious cycle that you won't get off unless you step outside of that cycle and see what is actually going on.

WHat I have wrote sounds like a 'condition' that you might feel you need psycological help and medication for. You do not. You probably should first dump the diet/diet mentality. You set yourself up during the day by not eating the appropriate calories and macronutrients so by the time late afternoon/evening comes you are tired, perhaps hungry and you want some carbs hence the carb/sugar binges. This is not a mental condition you should blame yourself or SUGAR for. Give the diet up for a few days. You already know what to eat. Eat in moderation, stop the calorie counting, obsessing/anxiety and just eat plenty of fruit, veggies, lean meat and ENOUGH HEALTHY fat throughout the day (5-6 meals) that even if the habit feeling of 'binging' hits you late in the day, you are just too full. It only takes a few days to realize the cycle isn't your fault, you aren't different then anyone else and this started with "DIETING" incorrectly. Go to Dr. Oz's site and check out carb cycling and cheat days etc.

I hope this helps if not you, someone else reading this. You don't have a food addiction but more than likely a symptom of DIETING ADDICTION. IT WILL take a few days to retrain your brain and realize you can feed yourself well enough that you don't have to binge. You will start being too full to binge. Eat plenty (healthy food) throughout the day and ESPECIALLY around 2pm and again at 4pm. Not mini-skimpy calorie meals going into the evening. Your body, through years and years of genetics will fight you way to hard for you to win if you skimp.
  • workoutmarie
    Options
    Quite often what we think are "cravings" is really a symptom of habit that often starts particularly women when they start dieting and too often at an early age (teens) and often has nothing to do with food. Eating or binging, feeling guilty, feeling like a failure them promising through sheer will power to start all over tomorrow is just a vicious cycle that you won't get off unless you step outside of that cycle and see what is actually going on.

WHat I have wrote sounds like a 'condition' that you might feel you need psycological help and medication for. You do not. You probably should first dump the diet/diet mentality. You set yourself up during the day by not eating the appropriate calories and macronutrients so by the time late afternoon/evening comes you are tired, perhaps hungry and you want some carbs hence the carb/sugar binges. This is not a mental condition you should blame yourself or SUGAR for. Give the diet up for a few days. You already know what to eat. Eat in moderation, stop the calorie counting, obsessing/anxiety and just eat plenty of fruit, veggies, lean meat and ENOUGH HEALTHY fat throughout the day (5-6 meals) that even if the habit feeling of 'binging' hits you late in the day, you are just too full. It only takes a few days to realize the cycle isn't your fault, you aren't different then anyone else and this started with "DIETING" incorrectly. Go to Dr. Oz's site and check out carb cycling and cheat days etc.

I hope this helps if not you, someone else reading this. You don't have a food addiction but more than likely a symptom of DIETING ADDICTION. IT WILL take a few days to retrain your brain and realize you can feed yourself well enough that you don't have to binge. You will start being too full to binge. Eat plenty (healthy food) throughout the day and ESPECIALLY around 2pm and again at 4pm. Not mini-skimpy calorie meals going into the evening. Your body, through years and years of genetics will fight you way to hard for you to win if you skimp.
    Edit Report Post Quote Reply
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Now today was my first day that I recorded everything I ate, until I got to about 5 o'clock that is and something quite ugly hit me.
    Cravings. Unsatiable cravings that overun my willpower. It starts out small and I try to suppress it with water or watching/reading something to take my mind off it but it persists, nagging at me until I loose it.
    It's like I'm on panic mode, and I have to have something. I go blind until it hits me that I've just shoved 100's of calories in my mouth and then shame and guilt kick right in....

Wow, I sound crazy but has anyone here ever experienced anything like this? Or am I on my own?
    I decided to do some googling and found that sugar is more addicting than cocaine?! What! This can't be true? And if food addictions are real than how do you go about overcoming them? I'm interested in knowing how you guys feel about this, because although I feel that my relationship with food is unhealthy, saying that it is an addiction kind of is a scapegoat, isn't it? A way to make yourself seem less responsible for your unhealthy choices...sheesh I don't know
    Do you have any thoughts or advice to help suppress late night cravings?

Strong Google skills, do bad you didn't actually read the research behind such fear mongering. Perhaps it was a study on rodents and therefore not necessarily applicable to humans?
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

Make sure you eat all your meals so you aren't actually hungry. If you are hungry, eat regular food so you're full. When you have cravings it's important to eat all your meals as a protection against grabbing junk food. Set up other types of rewards for yourself.

This recently worked for me to stop uncontrolled sugar eating: I went off sugar for 4 1/2 months, except for fruit, and then began to eat some of the junk food at work (my office is loaded with crappy food, plus once in while someone puts food gifts like chocolate donuts on my desk). I kept eating it for a couple of weeks and couldn't stop. I finally went with it, bought some chocolate meal shakes, and turned the corner -- I'm losing weight again and I've stopped eating the junk at work. I have 1 or 2 shakes a day, am tapering off them back to regular food, but will immediately use them again if I need to do that. The sugar in them is far less than a candy bar or donut, but gives me a treat.
  • workoutmarie
    Options
    i remember actually being excited when I wasn't hungry and able to skip a meal! UGG. Great post! EAT your meals, hungry or not. Even these days (I am actually quite lean now) sometimes I eat a meal when I just am full and do not want to during the day. WHile I hate forcing myself to eat when not hungry due to my old mindset, i know I must eat that planned meal o avoid any feelings/desires to binge later (because I'm too hungry). BTW, I eat 1600 a day on low days and 2100 high days and am at maintenance. 49 years old. Took 30 years to get it right! Be patient with yourself. HUGS..

Take what makes sense to you and leave the rest behind. Don't let others' opinions upset you. We all have different life experiences. No one is right, no one is wrong. We are just all doing the best we can with what we've experienced in our own lives. Namaste.
  • ArcyF
    ArcyF Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Now today was my first day that I recorded everything I ate, until I got to about 5 o'clock that is and something quite ugly hit me.
    Cravings. Unsatiable cravings that overun my willpower. It starts out small and I try to suppress it with water or watching/reading something to take my mind off it but it persists, nagging at me until I loose it.
    It's like I'm on panic mode, and I have to have something. I go blind until it hits me that I've just shoved 100's of calories in my mouth and then shame and guilt kick right in....

Wow, I sound crazy but has anyone here ever experienced anything like this? Or am I on my own?
    I decided to do some googling and found that sugar is more addicting than cocaine?! What! This can't be true? And if food addictions are real than how do you go about overcoming them? I'm interested in knowing how you guys feel about this, because although I feel that my relationship with food is unhealthy, saying that it is an addiction kind of is a scapegoat, isn't it? A way to make yourself seem less responsible for your unhealthy choices...sheesh I don't know

This is my OP.
    Can those that are assuming that my unhealthy relationship with food= heavy drug addiction kindly point out where exactly I stated this.
    I have terrible eating habits and in researching this relationship, I found "food addiction". So, I posted it here in hopes that some people may relate to my situation and offer any advice.
    NOW, in articles mentioning "food addiction" I found articles stating that sugar is quite addictive, even going so far as comparing it to the addictive qualities of cocaine.
    Go ahead, Google "sugar more addictive than cocaine", I didn't invent this, nor am I a believer, and I'm quite doubtful of the credibility of such "research" but it would be completely LUDICROUS to state that the effects of having a food addiction are as detrimental as those of having a heavy drug addiction.

REALLY, I MEAN REALLY come on guys. I just thought it was interesting that some people have actually researched this and YES to say that you have a food addiction is in some way, looking for an excuse--something mentioned AGAIN in my OP

So to those that keep bringing up heroine or cocaine to this post, please stop, that was not my purpose. And if you've known people who have struggled with these types of addictions, my heart goes out to them and if you'r an over eater and a drug addict- may God help you
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

This is my OP.
    Can those that are assuming that my unhealthy relationship with food= heavy drug addiction kindly point out where exactly I stated this.
    I have terrible eating habits and in researching this relationship, I found "food addiction". So, I posted it here in hopes that some people may relate to my situation and offer any advice.
    NOW, in articles mentioning "food addiction" I found articles stating that sugar is quite addictive, even going so far as comparing it to the addictive qualities of cocaine.
    Go ahead, Google "sugar more addictive than cocaine", I didn't invent this, nor am I a believer, and I'm quite doubtful of the credibility of such "research" but it would be completely LUDICROUS to state that the effects of having a food addiction are as detrimental as those of having a heavy drug addiction.

REALLY, I MEAN REALLY come on guys. I just thought it was interesting that some people have actually researched this and YES to say that you have a food addiction is in some way, looking for an excuse--something mentioned AGAIN in my OP

So to those that keep bringing up heroine or cocaine to this post, please stop, that was not my purpose. And if you've known people who have struggled with these types of addictions, my heart goes out to them and if you'r an over eater and a drug addict- may God help you

The word addiction actually means something, and it doesn't mean "I have trouble not doing this thing."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    with all due respect. I have never experienced that, but have had close family members die of heroin addiction, so I feel that I have every right to post in a thread when people try to use hard drug addictions as examples as they have no idea what they are talking about.

As long as you are honest about having an opinion on something you haven't personally experienced, it's all good.

Like I said in the last go-around on this topic, there are of course obvious differences between physiological addictions and behavioral addictions.

This does not change the fact that they are both addictions, and they both take enormous amounts of willpower to break.

Too many people here want to discount behavioral addictions as imaginary. They aren't. People who think they are should not be posting in these kinds of discussions, public or not. You aren't helping.

But it's ok to post about heroin or cocaine addiction?
  • klerato
    Options
    Honestly,I usually just eat. Because I am not there in changing the behavior yet, I changed what is available to me....Red sweet apples or sweet grapes. It has helped me not to eat ice cream which is my favorite thing in the world.
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well its not called my easy pal. Its hard, and it sucks.

Hilarious!
  • ArcyF
    ArcyF Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I googled "sugar more addictive than cocaine" and articles came up on studies on some rodents
    I'm sorry if mentioning something I found on Google upsets you so much but that was not the emphasis of this post.
    The studies that I did find IN NOW WAY COMPARE the serious detrimental effects of heavy drug addiction. They researched ADDICTIVENESS meaning how likely are you to go back to that substance after using it once, twice, thrice, and so on.

Here are some examples in case you need further clarification:
    If I smoke tobbaco once, how likely am I to smoke again...
    If I do weed, how likely am I to do it again...
    If snort crack, how likely am I to do it again....
    If I take a bite of that cake, how likely am I to not eat the entire thing....etc. & etc.

Having said that, I DO have a serious problem with overeating, something I've struggled with for YEARS.
    I'm 21 and all this starting since I was I don't know 5...So YES it is a serious issue for ME. And I came to MFP for help and support. If you are just going to sit there and patronize me because you don't share my experiences, Don't post.
    Instead why don't you go running or spend that excess energy elsewhere, oh and don't hate on the giant Hershey Bar, I think the Hershey bar is quite awesome as I encountered it in my travels to Canada.

Now if @jonnythan or @Sarauk2sf or anyone else would like clarification, have questions, want to know more about me or simply share the same problems I have, I HIGHLY encourage you to send me a message or add me as a friend.

Enjoy the rest of your day happy bloggers.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure how to overcome it except by sheer will power >.<

Unfortunately, there is no other answer. There are choices we can make to adjust the "degree of difficulty", but only by a little, and in the end it just comes down to sheer willpower.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Here are some examples in case you need further clarification:
    If I smoke tobbaco once, how likely am I to smoke again...
    If I do weed, how likely am I to do it again...
    If snort crack, how likely am I to do it again....
    If I take a bite of that cake, how likely am I to not eat the entire thing....etc. & etc.

Those aren't appropriate analogies, at all. If you want to do a comparison, it has to be to a heroin junkie, not to a first time heroin user. Or, alternately, a first time heroin user to a first time sugar ingestor.

Having seen both heroin addiction and sugar "addiction" up close, it is just plain silly to compare the two (heroin is *much* worse). And the original study that generated the inflammatory headline did not actually produce data to support such a hyperbolic conclusion.