water add-ins

Options
So due to landing in the hospital yesterday after not feeling my baby move, having contractions and blacking out at 20 weeks pregnant. I was told that it was caused by dehydration and I have to make sure to drink enough. I just find it hard to drink water when i am not really feeling thirsty. I know if it would be flavored it would be easier to get down. So what is my best option? Crystal light, diet vitamin water, diet powerade or something else, any suggestions?

Replies

• igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    Don't drink 'diet' anything.
    Just drink water or teas or have those drinks that can be diluted. Make smoothies with fruit and drink these. Water is your oyster, do whatever you want with it. If you find it hard to drink water when you're not thirsty then get into the habit. Drinking water regularly is like the easiest skill to lean, teach yourself it.
  • ehimay10ins
    ehimay10ins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The way I drink my water is with some juice. I usually pour about 2 oz of juice with 8-12 oz of water and ice, at least 6 cubes, I'm able to drink it that way.

Also with my last pregnancy I also hated drinking water so I had a cup that I knew was 16 oz. I would fill it like above as soon as I woke, before I went to work, when I got home from work, and before dinner. I just drank it in 1 shot. I knew I got my 8 cups of water and whatever I drank the rest of the day (or got through foods) was extra.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    You can add fresh fruits to water to give it some flavor (strawberries/cucumbers/lemons/etc). I find that drinking it through a straw makes it much easier. Good luck!
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yes, please stay away from anything with the fake sweeteners in them. No crystal light! It's not good for pregnant women!!

You can flavor water with lemon, lemon juice, cucumber slices, any fruit juice (fresh squeezed or not). Any decaf. tea bag can flavor your water (decaf probably best). Keep a pitcher in the fridge.

I read a post last week that someone prepped water bottles with 5oz of juice and the rest water and she drank them all day long.
    Find something you like and dilute it.

Think spa water maybe the mint and cucumber or berries or apple cinnamon. The options are endless! Keep a water bottle with you at all times and you will get used to drinking it.
  • Dpurcell924
    Dpurcell924 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can add fresh fruits to water to give it some flavor (strawberries/cucumbers/lemons/etc). I find that drinking it through a straw makes it much easier. Good luck!

I agree with this option!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, I was told to drink lots of water and if it helped me increase my water intake to add crystal light to it. I was actually told 3 times within my first Trimester by my OB, a nurse practitioner, and a dietitian.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Drink whatever you prefer that will provide your with the water you need.

Crystal light and Mio are great.... I tend to dilute them a bit since full strength I find them too strong. Slices of fruit are great to have as well (slice up whatever fruit you like... citrus, strawberries, cucumber, etc and put into a pitcher, fill with water and leave it the fridge).

The key is to try to get into the habit of drinking before you feel thirsty. Once you feel thirst you are already dehydrated. You could start with making yourself drink a glass of water when you get up and than one every hour.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Personally, I enjoy my water with a little lemon juice. If I'm out for the day then I'll add some lemon slices to a water bottle and just keep refilling it, or I carry around a little squeeze bottle of concentrated lemon juice. You can pretty much infuse water with anything...I've seen it done with berries, cucumber slices, etc. Play around with it!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If I were pregnant I would avoid all the new chemically flavored things in little squeeze bottles.
    There's nothing real in them.
    In other words: NO MIO. It's not food. period.

NOTE: I'm not interested in yet another fight about "everything has chemicals. She's pregnant. They've been on the market for a short time. Not worth the risk.

I would drink water with fresh lemon, with a splash of juice, with cucumbers, with passion tea (decaf).

If I was really desperate, I'd get some of the drink mixes with stevia.

I would not drink soda. I wouldn't drink diet soda with aspartame.

To me: the baby has to be number one here.
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    thanx for the replies, keep it coming! For now i took a 1.5 liter bottle filled it with cold water and added a small amount of totally light brand flavoring. I understand that ideally i should be drinking plain water or naturally flavored water. However, right now the benefit of drinking adequate water outweighs any potential risk that a small amount of artificial sweeteners/ flavors pose. I need to do whatever i can do get that water in my system. Hopefully one day i will be able to drink enough water without the help of artificial sweeteners/ flavors.
  • momRN2B
    Options
    If I were pregnant I would avoid all the new chemically flavored things in little squeeze bottles.

NOTE: I'm not interested in yet another fight about "everything has chemicals. She's pregnant. They've been on the market for a short time. Not worth the risk.

I would drink water with fresh lemon, with a splash of juice, with cucumbers, with passion tea (decaf).

i would be interested in drink mixes made with stevia. Do you know of any particular ones i can get?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

i would be interested in drink mixes made with stevia. Do you know of any particular ones i can get?
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=product&id=7C786012-E117-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471

Don't drink stuff with pomegranate without talking to your doc, btw.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Use a small amount of concentrated (sugar free) apple juice from red apples.

Or, my favorite, a piece of fresh ginger in the bottom of my cup.

Another one is herbal tea. So many flavors to choose from! Either hot or cold.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I agree with this option!

Yes, a straw "glams" it up. If you really want to make it special, get a Dharma glass drinking straw on Amazon. Elevates the experience, and I don't feel like I have to throw my head back and chug it.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Drink some goddang water you know. A lot of it.

Take care of your baby.

You gotta be kidding me.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, I was told to drink lots of water and if it helped me increase my water intake to add crystal light to it. I was actually told 3 times within my first Trimester by my OB, a nurse practitioner, and a dietitian.

That doesn't mean it's actually good advice. I was told not to eat any fruit and to us artificial sweeteners by my nutritionist when I had gestational diabetes. Not everyone in the medical profession knows what they're talking about.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Drink some goddang water you know. A lot of it.

Take care of your baby.

You gotta be kidding me.

This. Having just had my fourth baby I cam tell you honestly, do what you need to do in order to keep yourself and your baby healthy. Drink water, you'll like it eventually.
  • Mosomoso
    Mosomoso Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add fruits like sliced oranges,or strawberries, lemons, lime, and even fresh mint to your water make a big pitcher it taste great.
  • momRN2B
    Options

http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=product&id=7C786012-E117-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471

Don't drink stuff with pomegranate without talking to your doc, btw.

thanx for the link! I just ordered some True Lemon flavor packets through amazon. Its made with stevia which is better than crystal light or other flavor packets with aspartame.
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Stur water enhancer is made with stevia. Roommate found it online and ordered a bunch. It is not as strong as MIO or crystal light so you might use more but it is all natural. Also keep a big jug in the fridge with water and lemon or cubes of ginger (which is great for pregnant women for multiple reasons!) celestial seasonings raspberry zinger is great cold as well and decaf to boot! A lot of people have said add fruit but if you are worried about calories there are other options. Rosemary and cucumber make a great combo! Good luck :)