Help with my macros, take a look please.

Options
Seems any time I start a diet, eat healthier, or try to lose weight, I become very irregular :(. I upped my protein numbers a few days back ( working on actually hitting them), today I just upped my fiber from what MPF had me on 15 or 17 to 25. I took the sodium count away and added the fiber to my diary instead. Now that I can see the fiber count in the diary, I see that I have been very low, so Im hoping seeing it and hitting it will help with this irregularity!

would love if someone could take a look and see if the rest of my macros are set at reasonable numbers. I should also mention that I started a 12 week weight lifting program on Monday which has me working out apx 4 days a week.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    24g of fat a day is nowhere enough (although I see you go over a lot anyway). Go with 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein. And yeah, eat more protein for sure.
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    Reasonable macros are macros which you can stick to.
    I set my macros to the amount that suits me and my typical diet but I increased my protein because I don't like my carbs being too high because of my fear of water retention.

Because you'll be doing strength training I think it would be better if you altered your macros again and decreased your carbs a little and increase your fat because you'll need fat to digest the protein. You might want to research this because there's a chance I could be wrong, all I know is that I've read it in a few places and I think the source may be here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/guru.htm

To increase fiber, increase the amount of vegetables you consume. I rely on frozen veg for this because it's cheaper and there's basically no difference between that and fresh veg. I base some of my meals on veg like caulifower, brocolli or cabbage to increase my fiber or even beans. Tinned beans are brilliant. I've made chickpea curry and lentil curry many times (I've yet to experiment with kidney beans, canellini and so many more!) and they're around 200 calories or less per portion. Also, use beans to make burgers. Butter beans are amazing for cheesy bean burgers. Also, things like quinoa and other whole foods are great for fiber. Air-popped popcorn is also AMAZING because it's incredibly low cal and high in fiber.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I am concerned about your sugar consumption. To take sugar first thing, can make you dizzy, and people have been known to pass out. Also, to do weight lifting on such a low calorie intake could do more harm, than good. I suggest you combine gentle exercise, such as walking, every day to maintain a healthy heart. If you went to your general practitioner, he/she would advise you on what dietry supplements to take etc.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    25 grams of fiber is the absolute bare minimum for me. I can manage one day like that. But two days in a row with only 25 grams of fiber? Ugh. That would be bad. I try to get between 30 and 35 a day. Even 40 is OK. More than that, and I end up with different troubles. I get most of my fiber from food...fruits, vegetables, grains. But at the end of the day, if I see that my fiber count is still low, I'll take a fiber supplement. Right now I'm loving Vitafusion Fiber Gummis. 4 Gummis is 10 grams of fiber. That usually takes care of it for me.
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!! I will be paying more attention to my macros from now on. Learning about my macro intake has been a real eye opener! I'm gonna check out those gummy vitamins with fiber also. I was supposed to start taking a multivitamin with the program I'm doing, and Ive just been grabbing my kids Flintstones :).

As for the sugar, I am/was a big tea drinker. I cant do the sugar subs, they give me headaches. I usually do organic, but ran out this week. Regular white sugar does/did give me dizzy spells. I'm down to about 3 cups a day and 1 measured tbls per cup as opposed to the heaping spoon fulls I use to do.

I am also doing some walking after the work outs, and have plans on upping my calories little by little. I started here 30 days ago at the 1240 that MPF set for me, but realized real fast that had to be upped. I'm at 1460 now, for a 1.5 lb a week loss. I struggle to hit that, but I'm working on it.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Yeah fibre from fruit and veg is a win/win. Low calorie to volume ratio AND staves off hunger.

You're doing really well btw! :-)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You're going for 1460? I'm at 1470. On days when I don't work out, it's a real challenge. But if I burn around 250-350 calories on days when I do exercise, I have no problem staying on goal. It took some practice, of course. But you'll get there.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    As for the sugar, I am/was a big tea drinker. I cant do the sugar subs, they give me headaches. I usually do organic, but ran out this week. Regular white sugar does/did give me dizzy spells. I'm down to about 3 cups a day and 1 measured tbls per cup as opposed to the heaping spoon fulls I use to do.
    The sugar limit is based on recommendations for added sugar, but MFP does not separate added sugar from natural sugar so it really means nothing. Unless you have a medical reason to track it, feel free to ignore it.

A good protein goal is 1 gram per lb of LEAN body mass. Not sure how tall you are, but 146g sounds a bit high, although in no way harmful, just tough to meet. At 5'11" and 170 lbs, that is close to my protein goal. Your fat goal looks low too, although it appears you are going over it and getting enough fat.
  • bceltic
    Options
    The sugar limit is based on recommendations for added sugar, but MFP does not separate added sugar from natural sugar so it really means nothing. Unless you have a medical reason to track it, feel free to ignore it.

A good protein goal is 1 gram per lb of LEAN body mass. Not sure how tall you are, but 146g sounds a bit high, although in no way harmful, just tough to meet. At 5'11" and 170 lbs, that is close to my protein goal. Your fat goal looks low too, although it appears you are going over it and getting enough fat.

Thanks, the sugar in my tea is really the only added sugar Im eating right now for the most part, so I wasn't too worried about it. THANK YOU for clearing up the protein calories, I never realized it meant LEAN body mass. It is hard to meet, this info will help!

On a great side note, I hit my 25 fiber today :)
  • bceltic
    Options
    You're going for 1460? I'm at 1470. On days when I don't work out, it's a real challenge. But if I burn around 250-350 calories on days when I do exercise, I have no problem staying on goal. It took some practice, of course. But you'll get there.

It is a challenge to meet it. I'm working on planning my dinners first, so I know what I need to do for the day. Im also working on eating more in the am. Same for me, On days I work out it seems much easier.
  • duke0825
    duke0825 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I personally recommend you do a macro breakdown with a little less fat and protein. Something around 60carb 20protein 20fat. Just because you're starting a weight training routine does not mean you need that much protein as others may tell you. I've been training everyday for over 15years with heavy weight and I can tell you %20 is plenty. With regards to regularity, aside from high fiber veges take a dose and half of Metamucil before bed and after a few days you be plenty regular.