Just signed up....advice?

Options
BlaZeN13x
BlaZeN13x Posts: 25
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I have been trying to lose weight on and off for years, sometimes I get a few results but then always seem to end up back at square one.

My main problem is not knowing what diet plan to take and what exercise plan to follow. I've had personal trainers before and been given plans by them but they never seem to work, I always feel like they are telling me to eat too much food.

I am very determined to stick to a plan and lose the weight this time and I was googling to see if I could find any information when I came upon this site.

I saw a thread and read a few things which kept being repeated but i've always thought they would counter act loosing weight.

Since I started dieting and going to the gym daily again since about 1.5/2 months ago i've managed to lose about 20/25lbs but for the last few weeks i've just been stuck around my current weight and can't seem to see any progress.

I've been on very low calories and cut out carbs almost completely. My average day consists of fruit for breakfast, salad or beans for lunch, maybe chicken for dinner and some fruit. I also go to the gym and do about 45 minutes of cardio (cycling) and burn average of 600/650 calories. I would have thought doing this would have seen much better results then I have seen but I haven't.

When I was reading through a thread earlier I was seeing people saying that you should be eating carbs (50% of your ideal weight in grams), eating back the calories you burn and doing heavy weight resistance training with occasional cardio.

I signed up and put my details into the MFP app and it has given me a daily calorie intake of 1550 calories. To me this seems high, and if I am not mistaken this isn't including the calories I will eat back from burning them off with exercise?

To sum up, what I am asking really is what should I do?

Will sticking to the daily calorie intake of 1550 allow me lose weight?
Will including carbs in my diet not slow down weight loss?
What kind of meals should I be having?
What kind of exercise plan should I be following?

Any sort of advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Start by going here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

In answer to these questions you asked:

The short answer is to come to terms with realizing that you are making a "Lifestyle Change", it isn't a "diet" so your plan needs to involve things that you are able to commit to. Cutting out certain types of foods for example might be a temporary fix to losing weight, however, is that how you want to live the rest of your life? In other words, I'm not about to give up enjoying craft beers (and I have days where I enjoy them in excess) but I make sure that it works within my allotted calories. I don't deny myself certain foods because that's not how I plan to live my life. Instead I make sure that they fit in with my macros and daily allotted calories.

I would definitely recommend that you add weight lifting to your exercise plan. It works. Works very, very well. But again, you need to do what you will enjoy over the course of your lifetime. Again, none of this is something that you will do for a little while and then quit. It is something you will need to do the rest of your life so find something that you like doing so that it won't seem like a chore.

I've been in the same boat, losing weight on and off for years and have probably spent 3/4 of my life fat/heavy. When I finally came to terms that I had to make some real, permanent changes to how I approached eating and exercise, it all changed for me. I really fought the idea of having to weight out my food all the time, but now it's just habit and seems weird not to do it. Don't get me wrong, I have my share of "cheat-days"....I just make sure every day isn't one.

Hope some of this helps and I'm sure others will chime in to give you some excellent advice too.

Best of luck!
  • BlaZeN13x
    Options
    Start by going here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

In answer to these questions you asked:

The short answer is to come to terms with realizing that you are making a "Lifestyle Change", it isn't a "diet" so your plan needs to involve things that you are able to commit to. Cutting out certain types of foods for example might be a temporary fix to losing weight, however, is that how you want to live the rest of your life? In other words, I'm not about to give up enjoying craft beers (and I have days where I enjoy them in excess) but I make sure that it works within my allotted calories. I don't deny myself certain foods because that's not how I plan to live my life. Instead I make sure that they fit in with my macros and daily allotted calories.

I would definitely recommend that you add weight lifting to your exercise plan. It works. Works very, very well. But again, you need to do what you will enjoy over the course of your lifetime. Again, none of this is something that you will do for a little while and then quit. It is something you will need to do the rest of your life so find something that you like doing so that it won't seem like a chore.

I've been in the same boat, losing weight on and off for years and have probably spent 3/4 of my life fat/heavy. When I finally came to terms that I had to make some real, permanent changes to how I approached eating and exercise, it all changed for me. I really fought the idea of having to weight out my food all the time, but now it's just habit and seems weird not to do it. Don't get me wrong, I have my share of "cheat-days"....I just make sure every day isn't one.

Hope some of this helps and I'm sure others will chime in to give you some excellent advice too.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the response, very useful and much appreciated.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    We can't answer those questions for you- everyone is different and you'll have to do a bit of work finding out what works for you.

Some thoughts on what you've posted, though.

I'm not sure where you're getting carb free fruit and beans.
    Weight loss comes from your food intake. Exercise makes up look and feel good, but it's impact on weight loss is minimal.
    If you've lost 20-25 pounds in 2 months you're doing better than average!
  • BlaZeN13x
    Options
    We can't answer those questions for you- everyone is different and you'll have to do a bit of work finding out what works for you.

Some thoughts on what you've posted, though.

I'm not sure where you're getting carb free fruit and beans.
    Weight loss comes from your food intake. Exercise makes up look and feel good, but it's impact on weight loss is minimal.
    If you've lost 20-25 pounds in 2 months you're doing better than average!

Sorry as you can probably tell i'm pretty new to all the correct terms and this in general.

What I meant was i've cut out carbs such as rice/potato/pasta/bread (complex carbs? is this the correct term or way off?)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Here's a post I wrote a few months ago with my best wisdom here, and other people added some of their best advice, too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us
  • BlaZeN13x
    Options
    Thanks, i'll give it a read now!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    bump for reference
  • MrsBischoff
    Options
    I think one of the main things to remember is to always switch it up with work outs and diet (of course always healthy) you body adapts and adjusts so always keep it guessing. There are many different plans and ways to do that. It's all about finding what works for you!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I really don't see how you could burn 600-650 calories during 45 minutes of cardio.
  • BlaZeN13x
    Options
    I really don't see how you could burn 600-650 calories during 45 minutes of cardio.

How can you not think this possible? I am hitting that number of calories consistently every single day I do it.
  • JKDLady
    JKDLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options

How can you not think this possible? I am hitting that number of calories consistently every single day I do it.

I think are is asking how you come up with that number. HRM, MFP database, the machine? Not all sources are the same.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Everyone's advice here is spot on. You need to have a rounded diet. You are not eating enough. I would Just stick to the recommended calories for your age, weight and current activity level. I follow the weight watchers plan as well as mfpal and it says I am fine with eating the allowed points/calories for the day. I am always under the calories for the day with mfpal. Go figure. It is right that you need to eat enough calories to keep you body fueled. But to me mfpal wants to feed you a little too much. With that being said, you got to at least eat what is recommended. IF you body thinks you are starving it will start turning what calories it does get into fat and store it. Just take this one day at a time.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has given you great advice, but I just want to add a thought. You have flat out said what you are doing isn't working for you. So why not try what is suggested here (MFP's calorie alottment and eating back exercise calories)? Obviously it has worked for a lot of people here, so what is the harm in conceding that maybe your approach isn't the best one at this point of your fitness journey?
  • BlaZeN13x
    Options
    Everyone else has given you great advice, but I just want to add a thought. You have flat out said what you are doing isn't working for you. So why not try what is suggested here (MFP's calorie alottment and eating back exercise calories)? Obviously it has worked for a lot of people here, so what is the harm in conceding that maybe your approach isn't the best one at this point of your fitness journey?

That is why I signed up to here yesterday, I want to give it a try and see if the changes help. I will start logging a diary from tomorrow so people and myself can see how I am getting on.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs doing low calorie diets and then stalled for about a year. It was SO frustrating! I cut out everything and tried all different kinds of diets, to no avail. And then I came here and found the Eat More to Weigh Less group. I started lifting weights (heavy) and eating and I finally feel like I'm on the right path to sustained weight loss and health.

I know it SEEMS counterproductive to eat more to lose weight, but once I understood all the reasons, it made perfect sense. I eat now! Carbs and all. Even some potatoes and bread, though I mostly stick to fruits, veggies, brown rice and quinoa. It's a real change from what we've been told by the diet industry, but it's working for me. When you think about it, the diet industry doesn't really want you to lose weight. They want to keep you as a "customer", buying their shakes, diet plans and other products.

Explore the site and the groups and I know you'll find what works for you.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to spend 2 weeks logging what you eat BEFORE making any changes. Just eat like you would normally, weigh everything and log every single thing. In other words, learn what you're doing wrong before you start to make it right.

Then take 20% off of that number and start there.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    In brief, clean eating and eating enough, starving is not allowed and simply doesn't work. I did the yo-yo/starve diets for 20 years. Since MFP I eat clean, exercise, eat enough, and I lost weight. Currently taking a break and doing successful maintenance as I try to replace some of the muscle loss I achieved through simply abusing my body and not feeding it. Don't rush it, you lose fat slowly, if you lose weight fast you are more than likely losing water and muscle.
    be honest with your calories in and out. be true with your portion sizes. Honestly half a jar of peanut butter is not one portion, who knew?

Eating works, weights work, this lifestyle works. If I can do it after 20 years of fail, anyone can!!!
  • minnielai
    Options
    stick to 1550 cal intake is right, but cutting out of carbs is wrong wrong wrong! You are doing 45 mins of cardio everyday, if you can burn 600 calories that mean your cardio section everyday is very intense. You need carbs to fuel you up. Also, I do not know what is your weight and how many more lb you want to lose, but if you are at a decent size now, you should stop looking at your weight, body fat % plays more important part than you weight. Measure your body fat%.

There are many reasons why you are not losing any weight anymore, i can think of a few now:
    1) muscle - if you have been doing weight training? that you might have been gaining muscle weight. You can lose fat and gain muscle weight. If you are not doing and weight then you should start doing some weight training. it will help you to tone up and burn fat.
    2) your body is used to the same exercise that you are doing, you are not trying harder every time instead you are just doing the same intensity. Try to change the routines, or intensity, do some interval training instead of endurance. If you are or a cross trainer, just try to work backward every now and again. Search for some interval training programs online find one that is challenging enough for you and keep pushing yourself to the limit every time you hit the gym.
    3) you are not eating right. As i previously mention that cutting out carbs is wrong. Instead you should include healthy carbs in your diet. brown rice, buck wheat, whole gain, sweet potato etc... make sure you have proper pre and post workout food, and make sure you are eating every 3 to 4 hours, this way you are training your body not to store fat, you body will learn that it does not need to store fat because every 3 to 4 hours you are giving it fuel. Protein and carbs are important! drink plenty of water NOT diet coke, eat healthy snacks like raw nuts NOT chips. Even they are the same calories but your body absorb it differently, transfat (from packet chips) is bad for you, good fat (from nuts) can help your body to burn fat.

my 2 cents!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

What kind of cardio and how do you know the cal burn?? Does seem high. I burn about 400 running for 45 min.
  • BlaZeN13x
    Options
    stick to 1550 cal intake is right, but cutting out of carbs is wrong wrong wrong! You are doing 45 mins of cardio everyday, if you can burn 600 calories that mean your cardio section everyday is very intense. You need carbs to fuel you up. Also, I do not know what is your weight and how many more lb you want to lose, but if you are at a decent size now, you should stop looking at your weight, body fat % plays more important part than you weight. Measure your body fat%.

my 2 cents!

I am currently 193lbs/87kg. I am aiming to get to around 168lbs
This discussion has been closed.