Knee Injury

Ge0rgiana
Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
We were practicing falls in roller derby last night, and I just sorta fell the wrong way. There was some popping and sharp, stabbing pain followed by lots more pain. I don't know what I did to it. All I know is it was very unnatural and I got very queasy from it.

I can put weight on it now and can walk, though walking doesn't feel great. Where I'm having hell is bending it, turning, etc. I can't drive or walk more than the few feet it takes to get to the kitchen and bathroom, but, luckily, I'm a programmer with a work assigned laptop, so I can work from home.

I'm rotating out aspirin / acetaminophen (mostly because I've also been having migraines... don't ask) with ibuprofen. I've spent all day piled up on my chair and ottoman with my knee elevated on a pillow. Been doing ice off and on, putting it on when it feels uncomfortable and taking it of when it feels uncomfortable, if that makes sense. There's not much swelling. Going to my doctor on Friday.

I think the absolute worst part of all of this is how DEPRESSING it is. This is my first sports injury, and I'm shocked at how downright dysphoric I've become because of it. I'm normally a very independent person, but I'm noticing I'm nervous about my boyfriend straying too far from me. It's like I'm scared of being by myself.

So, my questions for those of you who've had injuries, particularly of the knee... Any insight to what I may have done? Any advice for how to make it feel better aside from what I'm already doing? Is it EVER going to stop rewarding me with stabbing pain when I move it ever so slightly the wrong way? How long am I going to feel despondent? Is this normal? :frown:

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Replies

• missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    It could be several things, my suggestion is go see a doctor, don't let it go because it will just get worse, in the mean time ice might help.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    I've had 2 knee surgeries both due to torn meniscus. I tore one doing Tae Bo. But I actually did the tear moving my coffee table back in place but I blame the Tae Bo regardless - sounds better. The other I did snow showing. Fell on it and didn't feel a thing until the next day it was so swollen and painful I knew exactly what happened.

I had PT after the second one but not with the fist one. The first one healed right up and no issues. The second, 4 years later, I'm still dealing with. I can now run pain free but it does not like hiking down hill or bike riding. It will still swell and I have to take it easy for a few days.

There are so many things that it can be that you can't speculate. I'd advise an orthopedics/sports doctor as opposed to your general doctor - easier going to expert first if your insurance allows it. Icing and rest are the best things you can do right now. If it hurts to walk on it rent some crutches or see about a knee brace - the one with the straps above and below the knee cap - they give great support.

Good luck and hope its not serious.
  • hsquared87
    hsquared87 Posts: 73
    Your doing exactly what you should be. To treat injury like that they say to follow RICE: rest ice compress and elevate.
    Whatever you do Keep that doctors apt.

Missouri_rain is right it could be any number of things. Seeing your doctor is the best bet. Don't worry until you know what the doctor says. It could be as simple as a pulled muscle.

I have been there. I have a chronic knee injury and I know how awful it feels to be hurt when your in the grove of working out.

Stay positive. I always have to remind myself to stay positive and to not give up on my weight loss journey just because I am hurt.

Yes it will get better, but you have to baby it.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    At the end of May, I had a similar fall (I might have been dancing like a clown in front of my co-workers, but that is not important :blushing: ) and tore up my ankle. It was huge and bruised and hurt like I would have never believed!! It was so disheartening because I had just begun a running program and all of the sudden I couldn't even walk!!

You should definitely see a doctor. I'm not gonna lie, though.. I didn't, but I did talk to several friends who were physical therapists or trainers. If it is only a sprain, there's not much that can be done except letting it rest enough to heal on it's own. Until you see a doctor, use RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) since that, and maybe some physical therapy exercises, is probably what they will advise you to do anyway.

In the meantime, look for a good brace for the compression part... or several (at one point, I was using tape, a soft brace and a mega-sturdy brace in layers). If you do not let it rest enough to heal, you could do more damage to it which will make you more likely to have another injury or to have trouble getting back to "normal." Even when it starts to feel better, if you step on it the wrong way, you may feel like you're back at square one.

For my injury, it was about two weeks of ice, ace bandages, elevation and very little walking before I could walk comfortably, a little over a month before I did not feel like I needed a brace on a daily basis, and today (almost two months later) I did my first cardio work out without a brace, though I'm still wearing one to run and icing it afterwards. So don't expect it to heal quickly and don't push it. Do what you can, but be aware of your body. This kind of pain is your body's way of telling you that something isn't right, so listen to it!

And check in with a doctor asap to make sure it isn't more serious!!!
  • Ge0rgiana
    I really do seriously appreciate the replies. Especially suggesting the brace. I think I will try to get one tomorrow. ANYTHING to keep this thing from turning or shifting to the side.

I'm not sure how my insurance works, but, yes, I will be seen by my primary care doctor on Friday and I will talk with her about getting to a sports medicine doctor. I already had the appointment set up for my thyroid blood work and medication refills, so it's just really good timing.

For right now, I'm piled up on my butt, and I plan to stay that way, save for going to the pharmacy for a brace / ace bandage. I'm NOT trying to move it too much. When I do, it's hard to describe the pain except to say that it's alarming. I don't like the way it makes me feel at all. Very unpleasant.

No, I plan to take it easy. I hope it's not something serious, too. :flowerforyou:
  • hsquared87
    hsquared87 Posts: 73
    If the pain gets worse before your doctors apt it might be a good idea to go to the ER.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    If turning and pivoting is the most painful action, then you likely have a meniscus tear. Your best bet is to get to an orthopedist who can assess it for any other structural damage, and start physical therapy ASAP. There, you will learn the CORRECT exercises to do to rehabilitate your knee. In the meantime, be sure to RICE: rest, ice, elevate & compress. (I'm a PT and that advice is of no charge to you or your insurance co :laugh: )
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    OW! i feel your pain. But you are getting good advise from everyone here. Rest, Ice, etc... going to your doc is very important, so don't cancel the appointment even if it starts to feel better. I have had multiple knee injuries (my husband says if you look up clutz in the dictionary my picture is there ) and had one knee replaced. Take care of it now will avoid similar injuries in the future. Good luck, let us know how you do - we are here for you
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    I am having trouble with both knee's right now and have for a couple of months. I see the doc tomorrow, long overdue. I am glad your going sooner. Since I am having the same issues with both knees it was good to read everyone's advice.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    I also understand. I have a long history of sore knees. When I was really overweight I blamed the soreness on arthritis. As I lost weight I discovered that my knees were not hurting as bad. I have had to very slowly work my way into exercising and I wear a compression brace for everything. After losing the last 5 pounds I started to become confident that my knees were healed. I started p90x the first of July. I did 20 days of it and felt so good that I stopped wearing the compression brace and BAM! That is when it happened. I am now on day 10 of nursing a sore knee. I will probably not go to the MD as it is the same old thing and I know what to expect. YUCK! 6 weeks of recovery (RICE) and then work slowly back into exercising it. I am doing upper body, gentle stretches, some pilates and core. I can walk with only some discomfort if I wear the brace, so I am trying to get in some slow gentle walking.

The hardest part is the mental part! I had been on a plateau for 5 months and then after starting p90x I lost 2 pounds in the first three weeks, plus inches!! Now it will be September or October before I can begin again.

Plus, I was comfortable eating my exercise calories but now I am back to restricting what I eat.

Your injury sounds more serious. Keep us posted!

D
  • Ge0rgiana
    Hi all!

Went, I went to the dr's office yesterday, and she said it's not serious. It's just a sprain. She said the fact that there's only minor swelling and no discoloration is a good thing! It really is healing in leaps, but I'm so glad I went to see her.

I've had hell finding a brace. I'M not big anymore, but my legs still are. And it's not just fat, either! But I feel horrible trying to fit knee braces to find that they're all too small. Going to a medical supply store today to get fitted for one.

My mood is also much better, especially because I'm actually at the office today for the first time since the injury. Feels so good to have life getting back to normal. After I get that brace and start driving, I'll really feel great!

My exercise plan is pool first and then yoga / pilates when I feel like I can get into it. The calorie restriction has been rough. Since my calorie goal for the day is 1,200 I normally rely on exercise to "buy" more calories so my maximum is no longer the minimum. It's hard to eat 1,200 exactly! Right now, I'm just trying to keep myself on South Beach and keep my weight down until I can start working out again.

Again, thanks so much to everybody who's talking to me. You're making me feel a lot better. :flowerforyou: