p90x and my calorie burn

Options
Here are my numbers using the polar ft7 for round two week 1 of p90x... They sure do seem awfully low compared to what I have read other people are getting. 37 years old male 150 lbs, resting heart rate of 47 bpm I would say im in pretty decent shape.. So what is the deal im not dogging it , but never hit the 700 cals p90x is suppose to burn. I am also timing these from the time the tape start till it stops.

Plyo: 556
shoulders and arms & arx: 343
yoga x: 249
legs and back & arx: 610
Kempo x : 447:
chest andback arx: 370

Just for refrence here are some other activities i recoreded
1 hour on mountain bike 12-14mph: 570
jogging 30 minutes 7 to 7.5mph: 398
jogging 1 hour at mainly 6 mph: 700

I do enough extra to get to the 600 calories that it claims but if i didnt i think i would be over eating just thought i would share what i observed

Replies

• glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yours are similar to what I get as well, with the exception of Legs and Back....mine was closer to 375, including ab ripper.
  • robinp00
    robinp00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Those numbers look too low... try a different HRM to see if you get the same results. I'm a pretty fit guy, but I've never gotten numbers anywhere near that low before.
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I never seen above 400 with any of the dvd's. Ugh! its simply frustrating even though I know its a great program!!!!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    My numbers are pretty low as well. I burn more on the elliptical but it is such a great over all workout. I think part of the reason is that even though you are doing it for 60-90 minutes there are so many rest periods where he is explaining the next move. My heart rate is up, down, up, down, etc.

D
  • p90ag
    p90ag Posts: 1
    Options
    Seems like an awfully low resting heart rate. A good Resting Heart rate for your age is mid 60's - excellent would be in the real high 50's or low 60's - and pro athletes are in the low to mid 50's. You may want to check yours again.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    My calorie burn was almost always lower than 600, the exceptions being plyo and sometimes legs&back. But I still lost weight eating 1800 calories most days (sometimes I'd eat only 1600 on rest days and yoga days).

EDIT: My resting heart rate is also in the high 40's which is not uncommon when you've done a few rounds of P90X. I'm 32.
  • zeeohhsix
    zeeohhsix Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks Everyone at least im not alone ...

DeeDeeLHF I think you are spot on that your heart rate just doesnt stay up like it does jogging, cycling , eliptical and so on.

Ghanie Im pretty sure upper 40's is okay from what ive read also.... i tested mine when i woke in the morning

Bear00 it could be the hrm but looking at my cycling and jogging i dont think so im thinking its accurate and at my weight age this is all the calories p90x is goint to net me.

I can say i Have gotten great results from the program this HRM is just frustrating me.. I plain to mix my cario days up with some insanity dvd's and see how that does. I'll post those #'s when i get them
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm a female, but I'm the same age as you w/basically the same resting heartrate (my hubby's is even lower than mine). I think your numbers look correct. My p90x burn was usually a low of 200 (Back & Bi) & a high of about 450 (Plyo)...Kenpo was about 345 & I'm pretty sure I wore weighted gloves to get that kind of burn.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the numbers though. The program works if you follow it. I'd worry more about the nutrition if I had to pick something to fret about. My husband & I did add in extra cardio on strength days. Our second round of p90x we did mix in some Insanity. I think that's the best way to do Insanity personally. Insanity by itself got old REAL FAST for me.

Good luck!! I hope you see fantastic results!! :flowerforyou:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Seems like an awfully low resting heart rate. A good Resting Heart rate for your age is mid 60's - excellent would be in the real high 50's or low 60's - and pro athletes are in the low to mid 50's. You may want to check yours again.

A resting HR of 47 is perfectly normal for someone doing a lot of endurance exercise.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    At your weight (68kg) the numbers are not out of line. Your 1hr jog number is probably closer to 700 cal than 600 which you can use as a reference point.

The FT70 does not have the option of entering VO2 max manually so your calorie count is based on someone other more general fitness factor. Throw in the other factors specific to P90X that others have mentioned and you are about as close as you are going to get.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Our second round of p90x we did mix in some Insanity. I think that's the best way to do Insanity personally. Insanity by itself got old REAL FAST for me.

I'm so with you there! I'm struggling to finish these last three weeks and will probably not do it again, lol. I definitely enjoy mixing it in with P90X though ... there is no better feeling!