Interval training and the over 50's

Options
I am 51 and have been improving my fitness over past few years and have lost about 3 stone. My recurring problem is injuries. My main exercise is now cycling which I enjoy. However, I don't want to give up on running completely yet, despite having had hamstring g, calf and achilles issues over past three years. Problem is these injuries put back my fitness.

Anyway, for last while I've started running again, once or twice a week, on a treadmill with some give on the running belt. I am up to doing 5km in 26 min and 11 km in an hour. I currently run at a steady pace.

My question is whether I should start doing some intervals when running or am I just too old and likely to injury myself. Similar question with regards to weight training. Am I too old for low rep high weight type training.

Replies

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I may not be much help here, as I'm not a runner. However, like you, I'm 51, and I also lost about 45 pounds a few years back. When I do interval training, I often do it on a stationary rowing machine. Or, I'll use a treadmill and a high incline with walking. A couple times a week, I'll do Tabata-style drills (20 seconds fast, 10 seconds rest for eight sets) of ab exercises, burpees, push-ups - whatever my boot camp instructor throws at us that day, lol! I sometimes run stairs where I'll run up for about 30 seconds, walk down at a fast pace for about 30 seconds, then repeat taking two steps at a time. That really gets my heart rate up.

I wouldn't start running intervals until your previous injuries have healed. You may need to curtail running for a few months while you get better. You can do intervals with low-impact exercises to help maintain fitness.

As for weight lifting, there's no reason why you can't start lifting heavy, as long as your previously-mentioned injuries won't preclude it. Of course, heavy is different for everyone, In general, it's whatever you can lift about 3-7 reps at most. Start slowly, learn the movements and get your technique down. Several good programs are Starting Strength or the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Personally, I've been lifting for over 30 years, so it comes naturally to me. As long as you're careful and respect your limitations, you should have no problem. I think you'll be surprised at how strong you actually are, and how much you enjoy it. And it's great for your bone density, which is important at our age.

Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You are not too old for either one. I'm 53 and do both. Age is not near the barrier people think it is as long as you progressively build and pay attention to recovery.

If you do start running fast intervals you only need to do them once a week. The rest of the time run easy or run long.