Runners / Walkers / Joggers -blister help please

Options
2»

Replies

• chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I got them the first time I ran, but once I bought running shoes that I fit great along with running socks, I never got them again - the most I have ever run straight is 8 miles. I know if I don't have the right shoes for the job, my little toe & balls of my feet will get sore. I definitely believe it's about the right "equipment'.
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1. It's beyond good shoes, you need good socks. I suggest Thorlo Experia socks. They are expensive, but worth it.

2. Well fitting shoes - go to your local running store and have them fit you for the type of gait you have. I overpronate (severely) so I need a true stability shoe.

3. BODYGLIDE! My favorite thing in the world. Before taking off on very intense and long routes, I put bodyglide all over my feet. If participating in an event that has a break for lunch (like the long distance breast cancer walks), I change my socks at lunch and re-glide my feet throughout the day to avoid blisters.

I have participated in numerous distance events and, knock on wood, have not had any issues!
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I went thru that horrible period as well.. My feet are conditioned now BUT, here was what I went thru. I used the bandade ACTIVE brands that are made of surgical skin so they would stay put, I washed my feet and kept them lotioned twice daily, AND my trainer had me Vaseline my toes and heals inside my socks. And the shocker ?? I was wearing the wrong size shoe. I always thought I wore a size 8--I do in heels but NOT in running shoes. We went to the store and I am a half size smaller in running shoes. THEY MUST FIT YOUR FOOT SNUG. Not be uncomfortable but snug, and I have 2 pair that I alternate. I even lost the toenail on my toe next to my big toe--SNIFF!! But it took about a month of "powering thru it" and then it got better. But go to the store and try a half size down in your running shoes. Totally worth it.. GOOD LUCK
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    1) Get bigger shoes
    2) Get quality, wicking socks
    3) Powder your feet/inside of shoes
    4) If somehow you still get a blister, gently puncture it, soak it in Epsom salt water, and keep it bandaged when wearing shoes and expose it to air when possible (cleaned of course)
    5) If you must run on it, try out moleskin, but know that running on it will probably make it worse
    1-3 are great, yes.

But don't pop blisters if you can help it. Your skin acts as a naturaly bandaid, and if you pop it then it will be open for infection. I use moleskin if I get blisters now. Use it the same way as a bandaid, but you just put it over your blister. It will act as another layer of protection and adds cushion so that it won't hurt when you step or rub it. If you have applied moleskin correctly, you shouldn't feel the blister that much.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    A good pair of running socks for prevention and if one does develop I use Compeed blister plasters so I can carry on running without pain
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Good socks will make the world of difference. Where are your blisters? I've got blisters from walking boots before that have turned out to be my best ever walking boots after a few wears (just like my doc martens which I still bear scars on my heels from but I was determined to wear them in and they ended up being my most comfy boots ever), but I have never got blisters from trainers.

With the existing blisters, if they are in a place where they are not getting too much pressure (heels, side of foot) then best to keep them clean and cover with a plaster and leave them alone. You can buy special plasters that are supposed to speed up the healing but regular will do pretty much the same thing.

If the blister is on the bottom of you foot and you are putting pressure on when walking it might be better to pop it rather than it burst as then you can keep it clean and look after it. Sterilise a thin sewing needle in boiling water and clean the blister with antiseptic. Pierce at the top and bottom of the blister and gently press to get the fluid out. Resist the temptation to pick at the skin lol. Then clean the area again and put a plaster on.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It might be something you're doing already, but for me I only wear polyester socks when I run. Some are better than others but Target seemed to have some decent ones for cheap. Running stores will have more expensive options ($12+ a pair around here) but sometimes you do get what you pay for.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    For now I'm a walker... and I had to go with men's cross trainer shoes due to their natural extra width in the toe area. No more blisters for me! Nike fits me the best too.

Thank you for this tip! I'm struggling to find a good pair of walking shoes or cross trainers that won't give my blisters on my toes and didn't even think to go to the men's section instead. Some brands of running shoes give you extra toe space but they're few and far between.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Increasing my activity has given me some very tender blisters on my feet. How do you guys prevent and treat these? I don't want to skip days from foot pains.

If you have blisters it means your shoes dont fit well. Get fitted for running shoes and prevent blister from happening again.
    If you have one already, get a blister band-aid and use 2 thin socks to prevent skin from rubbing together AND get those running shoes, Prevention is better than cure.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I agree with most suggestions already given; as an RN, I suggest to avoid popping the blister; as one person said already, the fluid is there to protect & will help heal, and why risk infection? Be sure you're wearing NON-cotton socks; I love my Wright Anti-blister socks. They've really helped me. Make sure you're being fitted properly for your shoes, at a running store that does gait evaluations. I have had very good luck with using Roman Chamomile essential oil, when I do blister. You just dab it on the area, a couple of times a day, until it is fully healed. It helps to dry the blister's fluid very quickly, and then heals the open area, after the blister pops by itself, usually within 24-48 hrs. I then just cover the blister with blister band-aids, and get on my way!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I too think it's likely due to the fit of your shoes. I've never had an issue with blisters while running or walking. The only time I get blisters is from certain dress shoes that don't fit as well as they should. If you have the right shoes, the socks you wear are far less important (at least I've never had an issue no matter what socks I wear).

Corn pads around smaller blisters help. Moleskin is a good option - also use it before the blister for areas you know rub.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I went thru that horrible period as well.. My feet are conditioned now BUT, here was what I went thru. I used the bandade ACTIVE brands that are made of surgical skin so they would stay put, I washed my feet and kept them lotioned twice daily, AND my trainer had me Vaseline my toes and heals inside my socks. And the shocker ?? I was wearing the wrong size shoe. I always thought I wore a size 8--I do in heels but NOT in running shoes. We went to the store and I am a half size smaller in running shoes. THEY MUST FIT YOUR FOOT SNUG. Not be uncomfortable but snug, and I have 2 pair that I alternate. I even lost the toenail on my toe next to my big toe--SNIFF!! But it took about a month of "powering thru it" and then it got better. But go to the store and try a half size down in your running shoes. Totally worth it.. GOOD LUCK
    You actually should size up in running shoes, to prevent losing toenails etc. you should have room in the toe box so they don't rub.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    1) Get bigger shoes
    2) Get quality, wicking socks
    3) Powder your feet/inside of shoes
    4) If somehow you still get a blister, gently puncture it, soak it in Epsom salt water, and keep it bandaged when wearing shoes and expose it to air when possible (cleaned of course)
    5) If you must run on it, try out moleskin, but know that running on it will probably make it worse
    1-3 are great, yes.

But don't pop blisters if you can help it. Your skin acts as a naturaly bandaid, and if you pop it then it will be open for infection. I use moleskin if I get blisters now. Use it the same way as a bandaid, but you just put it over your blister. It will act as another layer of protection and adds cushion so that it won't hurt when you step or rub it. If you have applied moleskin correctly, you shouldn't feel the blister that much.

Actually if it's bigger than a penny aka 5c pop it, anything smaller, you don't need to pop it.
    Can't remember who told me, but I benefited from popping my monster blister (which was btw caused by old shoes)