Who wants to lose 8 lbs by New Year - Are you with me?

Yes, I am dead serious here! :smile:

I have about 30-40 lbs to lose and by losing about 1/2 lb per week I am hoping to lose 8 lbs by New Year.

I have finally started to listening to the veterans on this site and learned about BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)

Here is a good place to start:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Here are some of my favorite links:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Eight Lbs by New Year's - Here we come!!!!!! :drinker: :smokin: :smile:

Check out a challenge that I have started that is about the "Process" NOT "The Scale"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/16269-the-keeping-it-green-challenge-september-2013

Replies

• Good luck! My goal is slightly higher but that does not make it a better goal and I thoroughly appreciate how you took the time to plan out your New Years goal!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Thanks and good luck on your goals!
  • Chevy_Quest
    I should be seeing people sign up for this one every 30 seconds :yawn:
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    That's my goal too! Right now I'm hovering around 138-139 and if I could get into the 120s by Christmas/New Year that would be fantastic! I really can't remember when I was in the 120s, and it would also mean that I would've lost 30 lbs in a year.
  • Chevy_Quest
    That's my goal too! Right now I'm hovering around 138-139 and if I could get into the 120s by Christmas/New Year that would be fantastic! I really can't remember when I was in the 120s, and it would also mean that I would've lost 30 lbs in a year.

That is awesome - slow but sure and Permanent! :smile:
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    IN for the heathy, totally reasonable goal.:wink:
  • Chevy_Quest
    @Cella - This is great - There are realistic, sane people here and you are one of them :smile:

I will keep track of people on this thread and let everyone know about a new thread.
    I also will be recommended other great challenges here I have seen!
    IN for the heathy, totally reasonable goal.:wink:
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    I want to be out of my 12's and into my 10's by the end of the year. Of course, I won't be sad if 10's are too big though. :)
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    My current goal is 10 lbs by then but I'd love to join as well to keep my motivation up.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    I want to be in I need to lose 90lbs.
  • Chevy_Quest
    To all: Will start a new link sometime tomorow - stay tuned :-)

@BIRD0 - Welcome to this "alternative" Challenge - We will all succeed!
    I want to be out of my 12's and into my 10's by the end of the year. Of course, I won't be sad if 10's are too big though. :)

@rhon116037 - 10 is totally, completely realistic and doable - Welcome.
    My current goal is 10 lbs by then but I'd love to join as well to keep my motivation up.

@judychicken - This is a great approach. The people here that have "made it" have "dug in" for the long run and just looked at the process. Welcome!
    I want to be in I need to lose 90lbs.
  • JKDLady
    JKDLady Posts: 131 Member
    What a terrific idea! I love the idea of setting a goal BEFORE New Year's! Honestly I was hoping for more of a loss by then, but for me right now, 1/2 pound a week is a realistic goal. I'm actually starting The New Rules of Lifting for Women tomorrow and fully expect to gain some weight for the first six weeks. I'll continue to count calories, but know what to expect with a new exercise routine.

Thanks again for a great (and more importantly realistic) idea!
  • Chevy_Quest
    @JKD - Thanks so much - stay tuned for a new link sometime tomorrow.

It really restores my faith in MFP that there are some of us who are trying to do it slow, steady, and permanent!

Great :drinker:
    What a terrific idea! I love the idea of setting a goal BEFORE New Year's! Honestly I was hoping for more of a loss by then, but for me right now, 1/2 pound a week is a realistic goal. I'm actually starting The New Rules of Lifting for Women tomorrow and fully expect to gain some weight for the first six weeks. I'll continue to count calories, but know what to expect with a new exercise routine.

Thanks again for a great (and more importantly realistic) idea!
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 595 Member
    I'm hoping to hit maintenance by Thanksgiving...I may or may not make it by then. If not, by Christmas.
  • Chevy_Quest
    I'm hoping to hit maintenance by Thanksgiving...I may or may not make it by then. If not, by Christmas.

@christianteach - Another great realistic goal. Stay tuned for a new thread!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    I only have about 10 lbs to go, I'm in!!! Would be great to have a group to be accountable to. I would hope to be maintaining by January...
  • Chevy_Quest
    I only have about 10 lbs to go, I'm in!!! Would be great to have a group to be accountable to. I would hope to be maintaining by January...

Fantastic and Welcome!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Hi .. a bit delayed - real life is knocking.. will try to have the new link up in a few days.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I would like to lose those 8 pounds by New Year's. That's exactly what I need to lose to be at my goal weight. (Technically I am going by body fat %, but I found a calculator that estimates that I will weigh 125 at my goal bf% of 16%). I already use the TDEE method and find it much easier to do and easier to stick with than the MFP way.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I fully endorse this post.

Paid for by the campaign for realistic goals and sustainable weight loss.