Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Silly Popcorn calorie question

mkeithley
mkeithley Posts: 399
edited September 18 in Food and Nutrition
I think I have over thought this too much, plus numbers send me in a tizzy.
I sometimes eat the Orville Reddenbacher Natural popcorn. The box says that 1 cup popped is 30 calories. It seems to imply that one bag is a serving. However, I know there is more than 1 cup in that "single serving" bag. It says on the box 3 tbsp. unpopped is about 5.5 cups popped. I don't think there are 5 cups popped in the bag either. It is in the database of foods and when I put it in it comes up 30 calories on my log, but I'm thinking this might not be right? Do any of you fellow popcorn eaters know???

Replies

• mkeithley
    I think I have over thought this too much, plus numbers send me in a tizzy.
    I sometimes eat the Orville Reddenbacher Natural popcorn. The box says that 1 cup popped is 30 calories. It seems to imply that one bag is a serving. However, I know there is more than 1 cup in that "single serving" bag. It says on the box 3 tbsp. unpopped is about 5.5 cups popped. I don't think there are 5 cups popped in the bag either. It is in the database of foods and when I put it in it comes up 30 calories on my log, but I'm thinking this might not be right? Do any of you fellow popcorn eaters know???
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    How about measuring the amount of popcorn after it is popped and then just go with that? I suspect that the 5.5 cups per bag is about right.....sad to say. But still, pretty good snack....beats a hot fudge sundae....well, not exactly beats it, I mean like, I have this recipe for the gooiest, fudgiest hot fudge sauce, and when you serve it over vanilla ice cream and then add salted, roasted pecans......but I digress......just stick with Orville!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    there are 5 cups of popcorn in an Orville Redenbacher's bag of popcorn or 150 calories after it's popped for the whole bag. 2.5 cups is what they, the manufacturer, considers a normal serving..... I eat the whole bag and don't share :blushing:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    You guys are making me hungry, I love pop corn but I read someone say it is best to get a hot air popper and haven't done it yet.:ohwell:
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    The popcorn servings seem to confuse me too. They vary greatly and since I don't always buy the same brand I have to measure it out to be sure. But yesterday I bought a ten pack of 94% FF butered popcorn 100 calorie pack. Perfect for me because I would end up eating the whole bag of whatever I made. Much easier on the cal counting too.
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    we have a hot air pop corn popper and its awsome the kids love it and will eat it better than flavoured stuff and its so much healthier. i swear by it so worth the investment
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    I don't have an air pop corn popper but I discovered microwave is a good substitute.

I put a drop of oil in a big glass bowl, than put a little corn and cover it with the plastic thing for the microwave (to make popcorn stay in the bowl :wink: ) and after a few minutes I got a huge bowl of almost no calories popcorn. Just be careful you don't leave it for too long (I guess it can kind of burn). If you're not sure how long it can stay in the microwave better turn it off before all corns pop.

Bon apetit :smile:
  • jumanji
    jumanji Posts: 3 Member
    Ok, I think I need to make some popcorn now. Yum.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    I have a microwave popcorn popper thingy - no oil required.

The only thing I have to work out is how much it actually is. The bowl SAYS it's 12 cups, but it doesn't look like it to me. Looks like far less. I haven't had the time to actually double check the popped amount.
  • mkeithley
    Popcorn update:
    I popped 1 bag of the New Orville Redenbacher Natural popcorn(Garlic Butter) flavor. Box says 1 cup popped =30 calories. I popped in the microwave and poured it in my giant measuring cup, it measured 3(ish) cups. So one bag of this particular popcorn is 90ish calories. I say ish beacuse it is was kind of hard to tell because of the size/shape of the popcorn. :happy:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Every time I get to the pop corn section and try to pick out the most pop corn with the less calories for what ever servings, I get confused and end up walking away, because I just don't figure which is best. and I doubt that I will stop at one cup and the mini bags have 100 calories but don't look like much corn. And I miss my pop corn.:tongue: Also hard to figure the low sodium if there is any.
  • mkeithley
    I usually eat the entire bag of the Orville Reddenbacher "natural'"popcorn(90 ish calories) and I can stop there and feel fine about it-no guilt :smile:
    I LOVE chips, but don't buy them, so the popcorn takes the place of something crunchy and salty.
    I eat pretty "clean" all day that I don't worry about the sodium.
    I've seen the "mini" bags before, the ones i get are bigger than the mini bags but not as big as a regular bag.
This discussion has been closed.