Peanut butter?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    It would take over 3500 calories for me to meet my protein requirements with peanut butter, and if I did I would have an incomplete amino acid profile. It's a delicious and nutritious dietary fat supplement, not a protein one.

That said, I love PB and measure it on a food scale. If I was eating it on toast, I would tare the scale with the toast on it, spread the peanut butter, and re-weigh. If with a spoon, I tare the spoon.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member

It's actually more convenient to put the jar on the scale, tare it, measure out the amount of peanut butter you want (the scale reads negative at that point), and put it on whatever you're putting it on. That way you're still also weighing the inevitable smidgin that gets licked off the knife that didn't get weighed on whatever you put it on.

Love this tip, would be LIFECHANGING, except my scale doesn't do negative. After zero it goes to bars. :sad:

I just put my toast on the scales, zero it and then add my peanut butter.
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    I use Smucker's Organic creamy,( 7 protein, 16 g fat, 210 cal for 2 tbls) would rather crunchy, but cant find it :(. I was just told that I need to up my fat intake to help break down the proteins, I also have a tuff time reaching my calories on a lot of days, so looks like its gonna be more peanut butter for me :).

I use a tablespoon measure, but after reading here, I may start weighing!
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    I weigh mine out
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Peanut butter is one of my trigger foods so until I get stronger I don't eat it. :(

Shirley in Oregon
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    I use a teaspoon.
  • I just use a tbsp. I don't really like bread so I just tend to eat peanut butter straight off the spoon.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    It's actually more convenient to put the jar on the scale, tare it, measure out the amount of peanut butter you want (the scale reads negative at that point), and put it on whatever you're putting it on. That way you're still also weighing the inevitable smidgin that gets licked off the knife that didn't get weighed on whatever you put it on.

I am pretty new to this and not currently working, so I can't justify spending money on a digital scale yet...but it's on the list! Thanks for this tip. I have actually wondered about this very thing.
  • shanny24
    shanny24 Posts: 17 Member
    Sound advice from everyone.... I can't wait for lunchtime today lol thanks again.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    I should be measuring with PB, but I eyeball it and have been doing okay. Would you believe my sister doesn't LIKE peanut butter?! I don't even know how we're related because I eat it every single day.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    I tried using a tablespoon vs weighing it. No way was that gonna be honest enough. After all, there is a tablespoon and then there is a TABLESPOON. You know what I mean. Weighing is more honest, and with something as calorie packed as peanut butter, it's kind of important.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    I tried using a tablespoon vs weighing it. No way was that gonna be honest enough. After all, there is a tablespoon and then there is a TABLESPOON. You know what I mean. Weighing is more honest, and with something as calorie packed as peanut butter, it's kind of important.

Or an ice cream scoop. lol
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    I LOVE Peanut Butter so much I had to switch to the powdered version. All that's in it is roasted peanuts, salt and I think there are 1-2g of sugar added depending on the brand I buy. I mix it with water and eat it everyday on wheat toast with a cut up banana. Nothing more amazing than Peanut butter banana sandwiches! Of course I would rather have regular full fat PB but I want to be helathy more :)
  • I prefer using an digital scale for the small things like peanut butter (my manual scale is so big and stupid when comes to anything below 50g :frown:) because I don't trust the term "1 tbsp". It's too general. Does it mean heaped tablespoon or what?
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Mmm. I love peanut butter. I use a scale for mine; I have to or I will just keep eating! :D
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    I just use a tablespoon--- the "serving" on the level is actually 2 tablespoons, usually, so I'll do one heaping tablespoon & log it as two.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Ever try PB2? I love it ! I put a pinch of Truvia and pinch of salt to me tastes as good as the real thing. 1 serving is 2TBL powder mixed with 1Tbl water =1.5 gr fat, 5 gr Carb, 2 gr fiber 1 gr sugar 5gr protein.
    Oops person below be just mentioned it too :laugh: Basically it is peanuts with all pressed out and rest turned into powder. Can't get much more pure than that :wink:
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    I use a food scale

This ^^^ and measure by the grams.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    I weigh the whole jar, remove what I eat, then weigh the jar again and subtract the two....
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    PB is incredibly calorie dense so I weigh it. That and trying to get a good tablespoon measure with something that sticky is frustrating.