Grocery store HORROR!!!!

Options

Replies

• kekeleeks
    kekeleeks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    People think I am crazy when I say this but this is part of what I call a culture of obesity. Most grocery stores I have been into have a similar set-up in which you have to walk through all the "junk" before you reach the healthy stuff. Why is this? Why not switch it around and have the junk in the back? It can be very hard to resist, especially if you go to the store when you are hungry or having a weak moment. I would often speed walk through these areas but it was quite the mind phuck if you know what I mean. These days I will actually stop and look at all the "junk", fantasize about it and I am able to move on without much thought ( I don't recommend this) because I have become particularly snobby about my what "junk" I will eat.

Kudos to you for taking the stuff back! That takes some gusto. Way to assert yourself.
  • FezzesRCool
    Options
    I work in a grocery store, so I can relate when the customers come to my lane with all these salty and sweet snacks, telling me they couldn't help themselves. My advice that I give them is make a point to stop and eat BEFORE coming in. Nowhere near a mealtime? Have a box of nice snack bars in your glove compartment and eat one before going in. They should tide you over until you leave so you can bypass most of the temptations.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. For the record, I'm fully aware I'm a huge *kitten* for doing/thinking this way but at the end of the day it helps keep me in check so I'll continue to be that *kitten*.

My local grocery store is like beacon to every morbidly obese person within a 25 mile radius of it. Like the Indy 500 of fat scooter people. Now, I'm fully aware I shouldn't judge because I don't know the story behind any of these people. I'm sure maybe one out of the collection may have a full blown medical condition that causes them to be this way but I can't help myself since I've lost so much weight. I'm a silent judger. There I said it. I look at what's in overweight people's carts. It's much easier to pass on that case of dr. Pepper even though at one time it was my life blood. The only down side besides being a passive **** is that I sometimes want to initiate an epic high five to some fat people when I see they make good choices. Of course I can't because I would give myself away and still be considered a **** for checking what's in their cart...and making the connection with te fact that they are fat and making better choices. It also is hard to not want to smack their power cart stubby fingers when I see their carts full of slim fast then they reach for a snickers bar at checkout.

P.S. I'm fully aware I'm not the only one that does this so I know some of you are out there as well...reading this and staying silent.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I just walk on by the stuff.

This. And I remind myself that once I'm out of the store (or even on to the next aisle), it's gone. All I have to do is resist buying it for a few minutes so that when I get home it's not in my bag.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I had a moment at WalMart a couple weeks ago. They had this end display of HUGE boxes of PopTarts and I was very tempted. Thought, what the heck, a PopTart a day wouldn't be that bad, I've seen people on MFP posting that they eat them all the time. So I head to the breakfast aisle to get a small box, decide to check the label and they're nearly 200 calories PER PASTRY! Um, no thanks. If I'm going to eat 400 calories of something (cuz you know you can't eat one pastry once you rip open that packet), it's going to be something a bit more hearty than a PopTart because knowing how my system works, that sugary goodness will zoom through and I'll be starved and shaky in an hour or two (slight hypoglycemia).

Most of the time though, if it's not on my list, it doesn't go in my shopping cart. There are a few exceptions but they're usually things I can actually use like fruit or meat that's on sale.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. For the record, I'm fully aware I'm a huge *kitten* for doing/thinking this way but at the end of the day it helps keep me in check so I'll continue to be that *kitten*.

My local grocery store is like beacon to every morbidly obese person within a 25 mile radius of it. Like the Indy 500 of fat scooter people. Now, I'm fully aware I shouldn't judge because I don't know the story behind any of these people. I'm sure maybe one out of the collection may have a full blown medical condition that causes them to be this way but I can't help myself since I've lost so much weight. I'm a silent judger. There I said it. I look at what's in overweight people's carts. It's much easier to pass on that case of dr. Pepper even though at one time it was my life blood. The only down side besides being a passive **** is that I sometimes want to initiate an epic high five to some fat people when I see they make good choices. Of course I can't because I would give myself away and still be considered a **** for checking what's in their cart...and making the connection with te fact that they are fat and making better choices. It also is hard to not want to smack their power cart stubby fingers when I see their carts full of slim fast then they reach for a snickers bar at checkout.

P.S. I'm fully aware I'm not the only one that does this so I know some of you are out there as well...reading this and staying silent.

i do that too! my bad is i watch what the LINK card people buy. Lots of stuff. i am guilty of being a silent judger.

But i also think - when i see the carts of food with mostly junk i think to myself "did i do that?" and I notice that Target now has 2 rows of those scooters when 10 years ago there were only 5 scooters.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    i do that too! my bad is i watch what the LINK card people buy. Lots of stuff. i am guilty of being a silent judger.

But i also think - when i see the carts of food with mostly junk i think to myself "did i do that?" and I notice that Target now has 2 rows of those scooters when 10 years ago there were only 5 scooters.

That's why I don't feel too terrible about doing it bc I know I used to be that person. Well..not in the scooter, but the one that was waaaay to overweight buying really crappy food.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Grocery stores aren't set up to help us succeed, they are set up to get our money.

Once I made my mind up that I was going to make changes, it was like a switch in my head was flipped. I was able to not even notice the chips, chocolate, etc. I just look at that stuff and I am reminded that those things didn't serve me well in the past.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    be tough and strong
    ignore the sweet crap
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is it me or is the grocery store one of the scariest places on earth when you are trying to change your lifestyle:huh:
    Went grocery shopping and all of the treats were up front , (IT"S FOOTBALL SUNDAY) all of the chips, candy, cakes, pies at BOGO, soda etc. Once I broke through the crowd of delicacies I proceeded to the produce area and what do I see? well, it was more cakes, pies, chips and dips!!!!!!!:explode: My heart starts to race, I started to question myself, I tried to bargain with the God to give me some wiggle room and I walked out with one of each item listed above in my bag. Once I started to drive off, my phone buzzed and I was getting a post from MFP. I happily turned my car around and went back to the store, This time when I walked out I had $23.13 more in my wallet:flowerforyou:

CAN ANYONE RELATE TO THIS OR HAVE I JUST LOST MY MIND?!
    WHAT'S THE DEAL?!

Wow. Have you thought maybe there is an underlying psychological issue?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    They say to stick to the outline of the store: produce, grocers freezers, meat, dairy areas. Then strategically go get other necessities. Never go hungry.
  • mtapia713
    mtapia713 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So true.

I have been shopping at Sprouts, Whole Foods and Trader Joes exclusivly for about a year (its a big sacrifice financially but I feel its worth it.)

Anyhow, the other day I had to run into a "normal" grocery store and was blown away by how little "real" food there was in the place just piles and piles of garbage foodlike substances.

Grocery Store HORROR is a great way to describe it!
    Yea, for returning the crap and wishing you all the best!!!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Great job bringing back the junk! That's a huge NSV for you ;)
    They say to stick to the outline of the store: produce, grocers freezers, meat, dairy areas. Then strategically go get other necessities. Never go hungry.

This is how I shop, it works well - assuming I don't bring my boyfriend with me because he costs me at least $100 in crap if he comes along!

I try to plan my meals for the week and make a list of things to buy for them as well as lunches for my step-son, myself and the boyfriend. I have 100$/week to spend so I normally try not to buy anything that is not on my list because even though it sounds like a lot of money it does not go very far here.

I start by going around the outside of the store and only go into the middle for anything that I may need from my list. also, don't go when you are hungry and if you can possibly help it don't bring children (or boyfriends) with you when you shop. Having a time limit is also a useful thing, that way you aren't tempted to dawdle around the store and be tempted by things. Budgets also help because then you have an idea how much the junk costs you also.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I can't go into grocery stores anymore as candy aisles leave me sweating and shaking for hours. Have you considered one of the grocery delivery services? I know that they say "face your fears," but I'm not planning on overcoming my fear of dying in a wild fire by jumping into a fireplace anytime soon.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I don't have this issue. I've learned self control and willpower, I guess. I think it happend 8 years ago when I quit smoking.
  • Sporks42
    Sporks42 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good for you for returning all the junk.

Grocery stores are masterpieces of marketing and manipulation and I keep reminding myself that I will not be manipulated. Think about the direction you always take around the store. Counter-clockwise, right? Of course. (I d be interested to hear contrary views.) "They" set it up that way. I look at the cases of individual servings of baked goods and know that they're made for maximum eye appeal. Look at that thick layer of frosting. They may taste greasy and leave a chemical aftertaste, but they sure look pretty, don't they? (Our supermarket uses neon-colored frostings. Complete turnoff for me.)

Just remind yourself that they're playing mind games with you and if you buy on impulse, they won.

Hmm both my local HEBs (Texas grocery store chains) go clockwise. Clockwise starts me in the produce, followed by the seafood, butcher, sandwich meat, packaged meat and cheese. Counter clockwise would start me in the pharmacy entrance. Come to think of it, all my local stores but walmart and a Randall's do, maybe I'm just doing it wrong =D any reason for this?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

this is one of the dumbest sayings that passes for profound around here...

if you only stick to the outside aisles of the grocery store, how are you going to find the toilet paper?!

tumblr_mbb4thhjWC1qih9gi.gif

:tongue:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Nah....i buy the treats...

actually no I don't...i BAKE the treats at home....

I prefer the home baked over the processed, not that the processed isn't sometimes the best EVAH....

like turtles....i'm sorry but I can't bake those better than they make them...

but yeah I don't cut that stuff out....i just make it fit into my diary...

i either make room, or I arrange for their to be room

oh and I eat in moderation....I've come to the realization that if I don't eat it all today...there will still be some there for tomorrow...and the next day and the next day...

so yeah....i buy/make/eat that stuff.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Grocery stores are masterpieces of marketing and manipulation and I keep reminding myself that I will not be manipulated. Think about the direction you always take around the store. Counter-clockwise, right? Of course. (I d be interested to hear contrary views.) "They" set it up that way. I look at the cases of individual servings of baked goods and know that they're made for maximum eye appeal. Look at that thick layer of frosting. They may taste greasy and leave a chemical aftertaste, but they sure look pretty, don't they? (Our supermarket uses neon-colored frostings. Complete turnoff for me.)

Just remind yourself that they're playing mind games with you and if you buy on impulse, they won.

Hmm both my local HEBs (Texas grocery store chains) go clockwise. Clockwise starts me in the produce, followed by the seafood, butcher, sandwich meat, packaged meat and cheese. Counter clockwise would start me in the pharmacy entrance. Come to think of it, all my local stores but walmart and a Randall's do, maybe I'm just doing it wrong =D any reason for this?

But if grocery stores are one of your biggest fears, wouldn't starting in the pharmacy make the most sense? Medicate first, then shop? I don't know how I could get through the stress of hanging out on the beach without xanax.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

But if grocery stores are one of your biggest fears, wouldn't starting in the pharmacy make the most sense? Medicate first, then shop? I don't know how I could get through the stress of hanging out on the beach without xanax.
    That and vodka are the only way I can walk out on the beach without wanting to kill myself.