Too Much Sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• whitlisd
    Options
    Fruit is okay, fruit juice is not. Try not to eat the high sugar fruits like bananas too often though. I read that the average healthy adult should consume no more than about 30 grams of sugar per day, and that number is closer to 20 grams for a diabetic.

All sugar is NOT equal unfortunately. Fructose and glucose are dealt with differently in your body. And especially stay away from the cheap alternative to sugar, the high fructose corn syrup. Our bodies cannot process like they can glucose and it will go straight to fat storage in the liver. I have taken this from memory, best to find some articles on it!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    But at the end, his point was that you should avoid HFCS as much as possible, and eat your fructose with fiber.

By that standard, honey is also off limits.

No, not at all. You just eat something with fiber in that meal. You just don't eat a teaspoon of sugar, or honey or whatever, when you eat it, you pair it with fiber.

In to hear more expert advice . . . lol
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, but none of us are here because we ate too many oranges, apples, and pineapples... haha

Agreed. I've never understood why people are afraid to consume fruit because of its sugar content. Who cares? It has lots of fiber, vitamins and other nutrients and really, like the above poster said, I doubt any of us here gained weight from an overabundance of fruit in our diets. It just seems ridiculous to me that people would avoid consuming food that has so many nutritional benefits because of the naturally occurring sugars in it.

And I might get crucified for saying this but I don't see why sugar has been so demonized. It's not the enemy, overconsuming it is. Barring diabetes and certain other medical conditions, I think sugar can be part of a healthy diet as long as it's consumed in moderation.
  • MommaWheezy
    MommaWheezy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    No worries---Just stay a little below your allotted total calories. I've exceeded my sugar limit on a daily basis since I started MPF in April and continue to lose weight.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies people!

Just to point out, I've never had a problem with the weight loss, despite the sugar allowance being constantly over. Infact, it's usually doubled, and that's from an apple, orange and some pineapple chunks in juice, or cherries. Usually between 2-3 different pieces of fruit a day!

Think I will adjust the allowance, balance it out with something I often don't go over, like fat.

Again, thanks for the advice guys!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think this just depends on where you are at with your BF% and how serious you are about reducing it. Some people who are very serious about losing fat will eat plenty of cals, fats, protein and carbs, but have very little sugar. Definitely no fruit. But as I said, this just depends where you are at and what your goals are.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Fruit is okay, fruit juice is not. Try not to eat the high sugar fruits like bananas too often though. I read that the average healthy adult should consume no more than about 30 grams of sugar per day, and that number is closer to 20 grams for a diabetic.

All sugar is NOT equal unfortunately. Fructose and glucose are dealt with differently in your body. And especially stay away from the cheap alternative to sugar, the high fructose corn syrup. Our bodies cannot process like they can glucose and it will go straight to fat storage in the liver. I have taken this from memory, best to find some articles on it!

False. High fructose corn syrup is (quite simply) fructose and glucose blended together with a slightly higher ratio of fructose to glucose. The body digests HFCS exactly the same way as it would digest sucrose, glucose, or fructose. Chemically identical, the body knows exactly how to digest it.

As for the OP, sugar is a subset of carbs. Barring a specific medical condition, sugar is irrelevant as long as calories and total carbs are in line. As for the source of sugar, that doesn't really matter to the body. It doesn't recognize whole foods, it just recognizes the individual chemicals that make up the foods. Glucose and sucrose from an apple is exactly the same as glucose and fructose from ice cream.
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Well I eat fresh fruit everyday. sometimes tinned fruit, but always in natural juices - no syrups or anything like that.

Again, thanks for the replies people, the advice is always appreciated!
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how MFP sets its recommended sugar goals, but when I do research on overall recommended sugar amounts I've seen that the only goal that is set is for added sugar, not naturally occurring sugar. Not really sure how good my research is, but on that basis I ignore any natural sugar and just focus on limiting my amount of added sugar (I don't cut it out altogether!).
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    I'm not sure how MFP sets its recommended sugar goals, but when I do research on overall recommended sugar amounts I've seen that the only goal that is set is for added sugar, not naturally occurring sugar. Not really sure how good my research is, but on that basis I ignore any natural sugar and just focus on limiting my amount of added sugar (I don't cut it out altogether!).

Yeah, I think I'm going to ignore the sugar count for natural sugar, and just take note of the added processed sugars that are in processed foods.

I love fruit, unless you have a medical condition that prevents you from consuming it, I highly recommend it to anyone! I mean, it's better than eating candy and chocolate!