Hi, again :).

Options
Hi everyone, I've tried to be a part of the MFP community multiple times, but each time previously I left due to feelings of failure, my desire to lose weight wasn't as strong as the instant gratification that has maintained my size for most of my life. That said, some changes in my life have pushed me back to the community, and this time I don't want to run away from the challenges. I'm trying to lose 156 lbs. from my 5'5 307 lbs. body, I'd love to make friends, especially those with similar goals in mind. I'm also lacto-ovo vegetarian, which has made it more difficult to lose weight, as opposed to easier, especially since I'm not much for the cooking. Can you relate? I hope to find some similar people, but feel free to add me even if your journey is different than my own, thank you!

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Good for you for coming back. You have to make this time different, though. You can do it - you just have to want to make a healthy change.

Be patient and understand that it takes time. Focus on a healthy lifestyle and the weight loss will follow.
  • candidcamster
    candidcamster Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much, I agree if you stop then you'll never get to where you want to go. I plan to make it stick this time, I hope it works!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I want to encourage you to take small steps. You didn't get to 300 lbs overnight and you won't lose 150 lbs overnight either. Don't let that bother you. Don't ever think you're not doing it fast enough. You have a lifetime to do this the right way... and the right way is one that you can keep going with.

I highly recommend you set a reasonable calorie target. Your Basal Metabolic Rate is roughly 2100 calories. If you sit at a desk all day you probably still burn about 2500 calories daily without any exercise. So with that said, your target should probably be about 1500 calories plus exercise calories burned. OR... you could eat about 2000 calories daily with a goal to walk for 30 minutes, 5-6 days a week if you're comfortable doing that.

If you try and do something crazy like eat 1200 calories/day and nothing else, you are not likely to adhere to it. You may lose quickly at first but you will be so restricted you won't be able to stick it out for the long haul.

Eat a moderate diet
    Weigh and measure all your foods
    Track every bite you eat; proper brand names... don't guess
    Aim to exercise 3-5 hours weekly at a moderate intensity
    Avoid fat-free/non-fat/low-fat/sugar-free/light/no-sugar-added/non-foods; eat real fat and sugar unless you are diabetic
    Eat the highest fiber options you can find
    Combine protein, fiber and fat at every opportunity to enjoy the most satisfaction
    Drink plenty of water
    Add in some resistance training at some point
    Increase protein intake over time to at least 100g daily - eggs, greek yogurt and cottage cheese are excellent sources, as is whey powder
    Eat stuff you like
    Weigh yourself weekly
    Take measurements and photos monthly
    Keep going

There are countless success stories here on MFP. No reason why yours can't be one of them.
  • candidcamster
    candidcamster Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi Mrsbigmack, I loved your post thank you for all of that information!
  • Mrsmomi
    Options
    Hi everyone! Im so new here☺
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The only real way to fail is to quit. Welcome back.
  • Christie1Pearl
    Options
    So excited for you!! Your on your way to reaching your goals! Welcome back! Feel free to add me if u like, happy to support!