Potlucks and dinners with friends

Options
Hello,

My friends and I like to get together and have potlucks, cook together, or go out for a meal. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to go to these events and 1)not be tempted by all the food and 2)not seem to be dieting? I love cooking with friends, but sweet potato gnocci in a butter, maple, sage sauce isn't exactly low calorie.

Replies

• fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My number one strategy is to avoid going to potlucks or to friends houses for dinner. But....If you don't want to appear anti-social, always offer to bring one or two dishes of food that you CAN eat. If you can't resist the other foods, take only the smallest portion or a couple of bites and even then you might get away with pushing the high caloric food around on your plate. Eat very slowly so you always have some food on your plate and no one pushing more food on you.
  • jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know this is bad but eat fruit and veg (soup) all day and save all your calories for pot luck dinner time?
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Always bring a healthy new dish to share and be excited about it but if there is a favorite item you must have, have it. Sometimes if you mention a good walk after dinner at least 1 friend would love to join you.
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Dinner out is easy if they have a menu online you can figure out what you will have before hand and stick to that. Eating over at a friends house is tricky, but if the menu isn't exactly waistline friendly take small servings of all things or try to fill up on salad, broth based soups or veggies if available. If you are doing a potluck bring a couple dishes you know you can have without guilt - then you can splurge a little on the other things. Don't think of this as a diet - think of it as a lifestyle change. There are going to be situations you can't avoid how you handle them is up to you... Good luck! :wink:
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well, there are some strategies you can use. Some (including "don't go") have been mentioned:

1) eat low-cal during the day before the potluck
    2) portion control at the potluck

I might also suggest

3) exercise and lift weights before the potluck

I figure, if I give my body something to DO with the calories (like, say, build muscle) then it's a good thing. And when you exercise, you earn more calories to eat both during the day BEFORE you go to the potluck (thus, you don't show up ravenous) and when you get to the table AT the potluck.

It's a pretty glorious thing to eat guilt-free because you took a long walk with the dog during the day, or because you hit the gym for an hour.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    go and enjoy yourself and just stick to portion or half portion sizes and make some healthy foods to bring with you to share.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My friends and I like to get together and have potlucks, cook together, or go out for a meal. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to go to these events and 1)not be tempted by all the food and 2)not seem to be dieting? I love cooking with friends, but sweet potato gnocci in a butter, maple, sage sauce isn't exactly low calorie.

You don't necessarily have to only eat low-calorie foods to lose weight. It's about the big picture: How many calories you are taking in every day or every week versus how many you are using. Having a few bites of gnocchi and some other high calorie foods will not derail your weight loss efforts. Here are a few suggestions that might help:
    1. At a potluck, fill your plate up with fresh vegetables and other lower-calorie stuff and save 25% of your plate to sample some of the heavier foods.
    2. Eat slowly and chew thoroughly. Put your fork down a lot.
    3. If you don't LOVE the way something tastes on your plate, don't eat any more of it.
    4. Drink a lot of water or iced tea throughout the evening.
    5. Don't show up starving.
    6. If you're going out to eat, check out the menu online beforehand if possible and find some options that aren't total diet-busters.
    7. Enjoy your food and have fun. Don't stress out if you go over your calorie limit from time to time. Weight loss and healthy living is all about the big picture.
    I hope this helps! :-)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Eat light during the day & get plenty of exercise ....... then enjoy meals with your friends ....... in moderation, of course :drinker:
  • jot42
    jot42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can't hide dieting at these events I find. There's always someone who notices your portion size or that you don't partake in everything.

That said, here's what I do to balance these occasions:
    - exercise that day to earn some calories
    - eat light, but I always eat a healthy veggie soup/dish right before I go so I don't arrive super hungry and get tempted
    - I make sure I am always helping the host before/after so I spend less time staring at the food
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Portion control and moderation for the potlucks plus bring a healthier item to pass.

When eating out stay clear of the breads. I would order something baked with a nice salad