Way overweight.....need motivation to start....

Options
funsover
funsover Posts: 39
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
.....can you help? It's temporarily easier to just keep eating....lots of excuses....but, it's out of control.....I need to stop and find a person in my body I have never met before....the thin person (or at least thinner)......really need a kick in the derriere. Help.

Replies

• haunstar
    haunstar Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Okay. There is this story my mom used to tell me about a little engine.... Are you familiar? Start by thinking abut things you can do, and then keep adding to that list! You can drink more water, you can walk, you can eat grapefruit. All the small things will really add up! You can do it. :)
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    first of all the fun isn't over - its just beginning- imagine all the things you can do when you are healthier- all the good looks, all the cute clothes!!!! the smaller towels.... the smiles and feeling better!!!! if you are bored or anxious- whatever the reason to eat non-stop - get up- walk- fold your clothes- call a friend- internet window shop- do something else. you will feel better- but you wont feel better if you feel like a failure or 'refuse to change- you control you- get a grip :) you'll like it
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot of advice that boils down to "take it one day at a time." Get through one day and then you can think about the next one. If you have a meal that is too high in calories, don't let it be an excuse to give up for the rest of that day/week, etc. Better to go over by 300 calories than by 3000.

Mostly, do your best and be honest with yourself. It isn't always easy. But you can do it :)
  • Sunnydazeahead
    Options
    I hear your pain sister! It is so hard to change your lifestyle, to stop eating all the things you love and even to think of going to a gym and feeling totally lost. It is really about how badly you want it and that last straw that makes you change and never turn back. Mine was seeing pictures of myself, thinking I still wasn't that bad, making myself believe that I was doing well then realizing that I had gained another 20lbs. I find using this diary i can see what to stay away from and being surprised by foods where I thought would be too high in fat like walnuts or breads. You learn as you go, what has too many carbs, fats and sodium. The only motivation for the exercise for me is that I can eat more food so I work out so I can still have the things I love or that few glasses of wine on the weekend. You cannot do this and be miserable or it will never work, find an even ground for yourself. You are worth looking and feeling great, the first few pounds and you will get the motivation to continue, your energy will go up and you will not want to reach for the bad foods anymore. Good luck!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?

^^THIS!

We can "lead the horse to water, but cannot make it drink." We can give you all the advice and encouragement until we are out of breath, but unless you REALLY want to change, you won't.

Find the reasons why you NEED to change, and the reasons you WANT to change, and weigh out your pros and cons. Find the motivation within you, and then we can be your cheerleaders.
  • LightersUp
    LightersUp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way! You took every word out of my mouth! Especially when you said "I want to find the new thinner person inside me". Everytime I look in the mirror, I know the new me is inside me somewhere! I used to have a very weak will-power, when I would get out of work, I would go straight to a drive-thru and binge on fast food like McDonalds, and I would feel guilty everytime I would step on the scale because I know I did this to myself and it could have been prevented. But now that I joined MFP, I don't feel alone, there's hundreds of people on here that feel the same way I do, and we are ALL trying to go reach the same goal! I recently started Thursday and I lost 1lb so far! Which lets me know I'm doing something right! It's way better than gaining 1lbs! I wish you luck! :smile:
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately only YOU can motivate yourself.
  • whiteposy
    Options
    Okay, first take your door mirror, place it on the wall in front of the toilet. Observe yourself naked on the can. If you look good, fine. otherwise join the club!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Find a mere 500 calories in what you eat now to cut out.

That's it. Log your food, but don't worry about MFP suggestions. Just log it all to see how much you eat.

Just cut 500 calories. Preferred would be simple sugars, look over typical days eating and knock it out. Or trim more and eat a tad more protein to make up for it. Like lose 50 extra grams of carbs somewhere, and eat 50 extra grams of protein you might not normally eat.

Now find 45 min 3 x weekly to go out for a hard walk. 60 min on weekend day.

That's it.

Should probably cause almost 2lb weekly loss.
  • catita1025
    catita1025 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Lots of thoughts running through my head on this...when was the last time you had a physical? Would you be able to go to your doctor and say "I need some help with this...I would like to see a nutritionist...etc."...? Are you able to write down all the reasons you need to get healthy (notice I didn't say lose weight) vs. the reasons you want to get healthy? What are you willing to do to become more active? We all have ups and downs. We all need support - the road to better health is easier when those in your household are also on board. This is not a short term commitment...it's a lifestyle change. You'll discover much about yourself along the way! It's important that you lay a good foundation and get started!
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The best piece of advice I was ever given was to make it personal. Make it about you! Whether it be finding your own happy, to prevent diabetes or control it. To prevent high blood pressure, or what ever weight related illness runs in your family, or that you possibly have.
    Start slow!! Start walking, and logging your food. Get used to being active 3 or more times a week, and logging everything you put into your mouth.
    Drink lots of water, and the plus side to drinking so much water is you won't feel as hungry. It has been my biggest help!
    Stop cooking with salt. There is salt already in everything you eat. The more you eat the more your blood pressure goes up, and it also helps your body hold onto water.

When you feel up to it, start working on jumping jacks, squats, crunches, and push-ups. I encourage you to keep track of how many you can do at the start. That way you can see how far you have come later.

I started out at 298 pounds, and so far I have lost 54 pounds. I am 36, and 5'3. I have about 113 more pounds to lose.
    Good luck on reaching your goals.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    You can do it.
    Don't look at the big picture.
    One day at a time. One pound at a time. One step at a time.
    Plan your meals in advance, weigh & measure everything
    Write what you bite.
    Read the success stories on the forum, they are no different than you are.
    You didn't pack the pounds on overnite, they're not going to melt off on their own.
    Only you can get your mindset where it needs to be to start on this journey.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Best advice I can give you, after 20 years of "dieting" is....just start! Just start to log what you eat. Don't try to do a 360 change in one day. Don't make any food "bad" food. Start with small changes. First learn how much calories are in the foods you do eat daily, and then adjust your portions, add in healthier choices like e.g. a big salad with a slice of lasagne. It took me a long while to get rid of the "all or nothing" mentality. That way of "dieting" made me feel deprived and resulted in binging and yo-yo dieting. Now, I can eat anything I want to, as long as I stay in my calories for the day. If I go over the one day, I make sure I balance it out in the next few days.
    Good luck!
  • gypsyGIRL159
    gypsyGIRL159 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes indeed!!!!! I hear U!!! I was right where U R - saying what U R saying a few weeks ago...... THEN ONE DAY I realized I WANTED IT BAD ENOUGH TO PUT MYSELF IN TRAINING!!!! LOL! Now, instead of eating like 4000 calories a day (enough 4 a Fam of 4) I eat my share - and deny myself all the junk that got me to 400 lbs and to where I could hardly turn over in bed. I was sooooooo depressed! I looked i the mirror and wanted to cry!!! Then I had myself a good cry and I laughed and got a new pair of Tennis shoes and wore them out..... I walked and moved around in the house until I had to go outside before I wore holes in the carpet. Now - I can walk an hr on the Treadmill without getting tired. I FEEL SO GREAT!!! My energy is back! I joined another GYM and this time I hired a Trainer to kick my butt whenever I even look like I want to quit. I feel AWESOME ABOUT MYSELF..... AND I WANT MORE!!!! I am the Lady pumping iron now!!!!! I am the STRONG LADY.... inside & out! I pray a lot.... and I meditate, and do Yoga a few times a month.... I take a Ti Chi class.... and I even run around my parking lot for fun these days! I EVEN FEEL YOUNG.... AND I AM JUST tickled to death that someone lucky guy is going to ask me out one day soon. LOL!!!! I feel like God really has GREAT PLANS for me. Why!? Because He has to have something in mind..... I haven't felt this strong since I was 30 years old. I'm 55 and I sleep so great after I have a great day at the gym. Its like I know there's a THIN Lady inside me that can put heels on again.... and a little black, tight dress and dance for hours..... and sweat..... and feel SPECIAL. I matter! U MATTER...... AND WHEN WE TAKE GOOD CARE OF OUR BODIES WE SEND OUR BODIES A LOVE NOTE!!!! Do what U can one day..... then the next day walk a few extra minutes..... CHALLENGE YOURSELF TO BELIEVE ITS POSSIBLE TO CREATE WHAT U WANT TO SEE.... BE WHO U SEE IN YOUR HEART WHEN U DREAM.... RE-CREATE YOURSELF. Focus on eating like Food is just fuel for your body! Listen to your body when it speaks to you.... and turn off the voice in your head. Say yes to the Healthy things.... and start saying NO to the junk.... one meal at a time.... one day at a time..... and make yourself a Passion Wall or Dream Board that has pics of things that motivate & drive U to rise above all the challenges, and put-downs, and fat jokes, and people who judge and laugh at people like us! Forgive yourself for not being perfect...... and understand that no one is perfect. LOVE YOURSELF!!!! HUG YOURSELF..... AND TELL THAT PRETTY LADY IN THE MIRROR THAT SHE MATTERS ENOUGH TO LIVE LONG AND PROSPER, AND WEAR SEXY CLOTHES, AND WALK, AND EAT RIGHT. Do what U KNOW U CAN!!!!! Cram your brain with positive reinforcements that make U feel AWESOME. Get a loved one or your whole Family to get in on the FUN with U if U can!!!! Post it notes are on my frig and INSIDE my frig too!!!! LOL! I HAVE HAPPY FEET!!!!! I AM A WINNER!!!! Don't shop without a list..... and plan your meals..... listen to your heart as it tells U how much it wants to continue beating...... and U can get moving.... and KEEP MOVING!!!!! I eat Salads like my Life depends on them now! I make my own Smoothies and they make me feel so SPECIAL AND REFRESHED!!!! Set a new goal..... U can do it!!!!! U R a force to be reckoned with.... and thats just the tip of the iceberg! U R SO MUCH MORE THAN U SEE IN THE MIRROR! CREATE IT! OWN IT! BE IT! HONEY, BEFORE LONG PEOPLE WILL BE WANTING TO KNOW YOUR SECRET!!!! LOL!!!! I BELIEVE IN ME..... AND I CHALLENGE U TO BELIEVE IN U..... THE U THAT SHINES LIKE A STAR!!!!!!!!! :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately only YOU can motivate yourself.
    THIS. You can be "inspired" by others, but it's gonna come down to you. A motivated person doesn't let any obstacles stop them from trying to achieve a goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Find a mere 500 calories in what you eat now to cut out.

That's it. Log your food, but don't worry about MFP suggestions. Just log it all to see how much you eat.

Just cut 500 calories. Preferred would be simple sugars, look over typical days eating and knock it out. Or trim more and eat a tad more protein to make up for it. Like lose 50 extra grams of carbs somewhere, and eat 50 extra grams of protein you might not normally eat.

Now find 45 min 3 x weekly to go out for a hard walk. 60 min on weekend day.

That's it.

Should probably cause almost 2lb weekly loss.

^^THIS^^ We make it way to complicated! Genius post!
This discussion has been closed.