Diet and Psoriasis

I have severe psoriasis and I wondered if anyone else here has it? Also, I have read before that some people have had success in clearing or, at least, diminishing their psoriasis, through diet. Has anyone found this to be true?

Replies

• Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    I get psoriasis on my scalp and its defiantly not as bad since changing the way i eat! I'm still highly allergic to things that makes me break out n other forms of skin things.

I have also found that taking a Vit D supp has helped a lot too
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    I have psoriasis on my scalp and eyelids which flares with stress. My crappy eating also flares with stress. I've never stopped to wonder if it was the crappy eating, and not the stress, which flares my psoriasis? I'll watch this thread with interest.
  • CatAMcC
    CatAMcC Posts: 166 Member
    I have had this for years. Currently residing on scalp and top of legs.

Finding for scalp using Head and Shoulders at least once a week is helping. Always head to avoid dairy and eat soy when possible. I don't eat a lot of dairy and not sure if affects me but its stress related for me.

Minute I get stressed head all itchy :(

Finding upping my water helped.

Also eating more cucumber as a snack helped me...........

Love to hear what helps/eases other people
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    bump out of interest as my hubby bothered with Psoriasis
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    I have eczema, but the only thing that helped after several doctors and going through lots of expensive steroid creams was changing my diet. I still get a flare up if I drink too much milk, half and half seems to be fine for me. I was allergic to milk as a baby so go figure. My hands would bubble and crack open and I had to wrap them up like a mummy just to work. A friend of mine at work has bad psoriasis and she says it helps to cut out the stress but is unwilling to change her diet. I have read soy, corn, milk, and wheat can all be triggers.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Drinking mostly water has helped, and just eating healthier in general. I'm both lactose intolerant and allergic to soy by the way.

I find that eating eggs and yogurt doesn't make much of a difference in my skin. Eating healthy fats have helped somewhat, so nuts and avocados are good to add to your diet. Eating lots of leafy greens have helped too.

However, in the winter it flares up horribly, but that can't be helped besides inordinate amounts of lotion. Even then it tends to become quite painful.

I find that lotion with oatmeal helps a lot, (rolled oats are a staple in my diet as well.) The more expensive stuff that works super well is Gold Bond, but Aveeno, or store-brand versions of Aveeno work for my skin, so I buy that instead.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I used to get it a lot and was reading up about diet-related reasons (as it is an auto immune condition it makes sense diet could make a difference).

I read somewhere eggs could be a problem, not for me.

Then it was hot spices (cayenne, peri peri, etc), no effect on me (thankfully).

Then I cut onions (raw and cooked) and bingo, no more psoriasis. I've experimented with introducing them again but every time back comes the itchy scalp, hairline and flakiness.

Good luck to all finding your trigger(s).
  • cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    I've had (and still have) pretty rank psoriasis for years. Caused by stress and my fairly large alcohol intake.

The only thing that helps for me, apart from using my dovobet lotions, is sunshine...and to stay away from red wine

I have accepted the fact that this annoying disease will be hanging about in some for or another for the rest of my days and so I always look to get sunshine on my skin, on my scalp and to be sure that I am taking it easy on the vino!

I appreciate that for ladies it might be harder to "display" the nasty bits..I have it on my shins, knees, upper arms, head and hands... I would be gutted if I was vain! As it is, I don't mind it so much as it is a good barometer of my stress levels and general feeling well.

So, get out in the sun..keep it lubed and keep it out there. Stay off the red wine :)
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Broad topic with tons of research. You could (and I have) spent weeks reading all of it. In short there is no magic pill. If there was big pharma would have already produced it and would be making billions.
    So, back to food choices and psoriatic reactions. There are certain foods that certain people..... You get the point.
    Psoriasis in simple terms, is caused by (excess) inflammation, an over reaction response. I have had considerable experience treating (myself). I have noticed a slight difference in outbreak, mostly new ones since I have overhauled my nutritional intake. I have experimented with various creams and shunned anything prescribed to me by a dermatologist as the cure appeared, at least to me, to be worse than the disease.
    More specifically to dietary intake, there is plenty written about anti-inflammatory v. inflammatory foods. There is at least one website dedicated just to that. You might start there. Good luck, and as one other poster said, get your sunshine (light therapy).
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    So far, it seems that it's different things for different people. I have, at least some on every part of my body except my left hand and left foot.

I try but fail to drink plenty of water. (Though, I drink more and more every day.) In the spring when I started exercising and eating healthier, it seemed that it subsided a lot. (I was also out in the sun gardening a lot.) However, midway thru spring, the progress stopped and it's getting worse again.

I've tried vitamin D3 supplements. No change.

Two years ago, my husband put up a privacy fence so that I wouldn't feel uncomfortable lying in the sun. Big mistake. That's when it spread the worst!

Until I can get some health insurance. Aquaphor is the only other thing that I use. This helps to get the scales off. But, I walk a fine line between trying to not let the scales get too thick or too thin. Too thick and I end up in a lot of pain. Too thin and the itching gets astronomically higher. This is ok nights. But, Benadryl knocks me out. So, taking it during the day is a no no. Benadryl lotion would put me in the poor house as so much of my body is covered.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    I have had psoriasis for years on my knuckles, elbows, knees and calves. A few years ago I started taking a daily supplement of B Complex with C and Zinc and it has helped a lot but since cleaning up my diet it is better than it has ever been! I have 2 very small patches on one knuckle and a 1" patch on each elbow. That's it! Legs are completely clear.

Just one of the many "side benefits" of losing weight and eating smart IMO
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 783 Member
    I have had severe psoriasis for over 15 years, covering mostly my knees, lower legs, feet, and elbows. Over the years I have tried so many different prescription creams and regular lotions and none worked or at least none worked well enough to really make much of a difference. I have tried tracking my stress levels but as you know you could be stressed out and not have a break out until six weeks later. I have been on oral medication and some cream for 2 years and the difference is amazing I now only have small flare ups, but I still have the dark spots on my skin were the psoriasis was but they are fading. Since I am doing so well my Dr. has suggested I start cutting back on the oral medication and monitor my outbreaks which I have done for the past month with no change in my outbreaks. Two weeks ago I changed up my diet to low carb/high protein and no bread, rice, pasta (well I did pretty good until this weekend lol) anyway I will slowly introduce more processed foods and see what happens as I continue to reduce the oral medication.
  • slh0307
    slh0307 Posts: 50 Member
    My son has terrible Psoriasis and I have eczema. He applies Cerave lotion to his skin twice per day to keep it under control. He sees a dermatologist for awful flare ups. He drinks no soda, only water and almond milk. We try to eat healthy here but he is 21 and does what he likes.

Dairy, stress and hormones are triggers for him. Try the Cerave lotion. Be faithful with it and see if it helps.
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    I have eczema. I have not had a single flare up since removing refined sugar from my diet. I ate only natural sugar for 3 months (raw honey and pure maple syrup, fruit) and it completely cleared up within a few weeks. Now, I only have sugar maybe once a week (dessert) and have no issues.

Edited to add: Try California Baby Calendula Cream. It is pricey but well worth it!
  • daytolive
    daytolive Posts: 106 Member
    I have had this NASTY issue for about 12 years. After my second baby (a year ago),it has gotten to be the worst it has ever been. I do notice cutting out gluten,wheat,potatoes,and most carbs,it has helped. SUGAR is a huge culprit and alcohol(my weakness). I recently have been snooping in Psoriasis forums and have found out taking Turmeric extract (make sure it has the piper in it),2 capsules,2-3x a day helps. I have only been doing this for a week but i notice a big difference. Also,i use a lot of coconut oil on my body and it works better than lotion. Lots of water is very helpful too! Since auto immune starts in the gut,be sure your BM's are regular and take a probiotic. :)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    I have it on my face around my mustache area and my chin as well as my chest. I haven't noticed my diet helping it any, but working in the sun has made the psoriasis on my face pretty much disappear....unless I grow a beard. :(
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    My husband has severe psoriasis. At times he would have about 70% of his back covered in plaques, with additional spots on his body. He also has psoriatic arthritis flare up at times. Steroid creams helped a bit. Methotrexate knocked the arthritis into remission, but he started to have some worrying side effects. Most people don't, and I don't think that it's a terribly expensive medication.

Early on, we tried a number of dietary changes, but there is no credible scientific evidence that autoimmune disorders can be treated with diet. He has always been at a healthy weight and is pretty active. While exercise was helpful for the arthritis, it didn't change the psoriasis. However, if it's outside activity, then the extra sun exposure can certainly help some people.

UV is extremely effective for many people, so the sunshine recommendation is good. If you have a family history of melanomal cancer (like my husband does), then you won't want to treat it with UV.

For the first time in a decade he is pretty much plaque free. He was put on one of the biologics and it's been like freaking magic. Within a month it was cleared up. It's also lowered the overall level of inflammation in his body, which is wonderful as chronic inflammation can cause major health issues in the long term.

I wish I had an easier answer, and I understand the emotional and physical toll that severe psoriasis can cause. Fingers crossed that you are able to get insurance and treatment for it.
  • pinklark
    pinklark Posts: 49 Member
    I've had psoriasis for about 10 years and it's gotten progressively worse over time. It is now the worst it has been, after 2 pregnancies (thank you, hormones!). I'm still hopeful that I will eventually stumble upon those trigger foods, but I've yet to find them. I've tried so many things and the only thing that I've found to work consistently is applying a topical steroid and then wrapping the areas in plastic wrap (sounds attractive, huh?). I usually do this at bedtime which doesn't always lend itself to a good night's sleep, but I definitely see improvement in the redness after a few nights.

I am trying to eat cleaner and can hope that I'll see improvement in my psoriasis, as a bonus.
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    Mine flares up with stress and alcohol (dang it!). I'm trying to cut out dairy now for another reason, but I'll be curious to see if it helps with this problem, too. Getting out in the sun helps a little, but honestly, the only thing that has worked for me is steroid cream. Aveeno helps maintain balance once it's gone.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 783 Member
    My husband has severe psoriasis. At times he would have about 70% of his back covered in plaques, with additional spots on his body. He also has psoriatic arthritis flare up at times. Steroid creams helped a bit. Methotrexate knocked the arthritis into remission, but he started to have some worrying side effects. Most people don't, and I don't think that it's a terribly expensive medication.

Early on, we tried a number of dietary changes, but there is no credible scientific evidence that autoimmune disorders can be treated with diet. He has always been at a healthy weight and is pretty active. While exercise was helpful for the arthritis, it didn't change the psoriasis. However, if it's outside activity, then the extra sun exposure can certainly help some people.

UV is extremely effective for many people, so the sunshine recommendation is good. If you have a family history of melanomal cancer (like my husband does), then you won't want to treat it with UV.

For the first time in a decade he is pretty much plaque free. He was put on one of the biologics and it's been like freaking magic. Within a month it was cleared up. It's also lowered the overall level of inflammation in his body, which is wonderful as chronic inflammation can cause major health issues in the long term.

I wish I had an easier answer, and I understand the emotional and physical toll that severe psoriasis can cause. Fingers crossed that you are able to get insurance and treatment for it.

I take the same drug but never knew that the arthritis I feel could be caused from the psoriasis...thank you for that, it explains the knee pain