Q: Vegetarian meals high in protein and iron

Options
I am a vegetarian and since starting MFP about a month ago I have noticed that my protein and iron consumption is often below, and sometimes FAR below what it should be. I'm anemic as well, and so I take iron supplements but it would sure help if I could get some more iron in my diet. So if there are any other vegetarians out there, what foods do you turn to to get enough protein and iron?

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    leafy greens like kale, spinach and chard. the darker, the better. i think they might even boost a protein.
    here's a list
    http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/nutrition/iron.html
  • DevonLigotti
    DevonLigotti Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of morningstar products :) I have 2 of their sausage patties every morning and that's 20g right there! I am vegetarian and always go over my protein but heres how in my opinion:

I only eat whole grains (multigrain breads and brown rice have protein)
    i drink silk most every day (more protein)
    Morningstar, Quorn, Gardein, Tofurkey and Yves products (LOTS of protein)
    Peanut butter for snaking on
    I add beans to every soup I make,theres like another 20g of protein in about a half a can of beans

:)! <3
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much - all those suggestions are really helpful!
  • elloradannon
    elloradannon Posts: 111
    Options
    I am mostly vegan (I cheat a little here and there if there are egg whites in veggie products but mostly I avoid all dairy) I find that Vitatops have a lot of good vitamins and minerals. (They will give you 50% of iron) If I'm low for the day, I usually eat one of those for a snack and it brings me up to where I need to be. Those little things have been such a big help in my weight loss over the last year- only 100 calories and 1.5 g of fat (you can buy them at Costco) Also, I'm not too sure about the protein recommendations. I think that the amount we "need" varies depending on who you talk to.... or depengin on what study you read. I'm reading this book called The China Study which is amazing if you need a summer read and it addresses a lot of nutrient needs. They say that what Americans recommend for protein is WAY too much and we should follow more of a protein guideline like the Eastern countries. I agree though with some of the others that the meat substitutes are good bets, along with dairy substitutes. Good luck!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Quinoa! VERY high in protein - they say it's right next to mother's milk! It is delicous - sort of couscous like but better. Just be sure you rinse well before cooking. I cook in Veg Broth and add cranberries and almonds when it it is done!
  • kayemme
    Options
    I would steer somewhat clear of meat substitutes on the daily. They tend to have a lot of soy, and soy is one of the leading GMO crops in the US. Remember "organic" can mean the way it's raised, but not necessarily (though usually) does it mean that it's non-GMO.

Eating GMO crops is allowing yourself to be the test subject of a major survey. Nobody knows how they will react in the body.

Further, too much soy is not good for the body - it increases estrogen production, so specifically men should keep their soy intake down. You are far, far better off eating leafy greens and whole grains.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    leafy greens like kale, spinach and chard. the darker, the better. i think they might even boost a protein.
    here's a list
    http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/nutrition/iron.html

This is true however the iron in spinach etc is not very bioavailable..so you are not actually absorbing most of it (compared to what you would get by eating meat). Spinach also actually contains a compound (oxalate) which inhibits the absorption of iron. So even though it is a good source of iron, not much of this iron is actually going to be absorbed into your body. However leafy dark greens are great sources of other vitamins and minerals (including folate) so they are still very much an important part of everyone's diet.

Beans and lentils are good sources of iron (as well as some cereals). Vitamin C enhances iron absorption, so if you eat that at the same meal as spinach you will absorb more then you would otherwise.
  • kayemme
    Options
    great to know! i thought there was something like if you used cream or other dairy with the greens (maybe it was eggs?) that it broke that particle apart for better nutrition? thoughts? i could be mistaken...
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    great to know! i thought there was something like if you used cream or other dairy with the greens (maybe it was eggs?) that it broke that particle apart for better nutrition? thoughts? i could be mistaken...

yes! i should have mentioned that as well...calcium will also increase the absorption of iron from spinach and other plant foods :)
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This is all very useful info - thanks everyone! I do take an iron supplement along with Vit C every day, and I don't go for the meat substitutes too often because of the GMO and estrogen issues in the soy. I will have to up my bean intake - those seem good for both iron and protein, and I will definitely try the Quinoa - I've heard a lot about it but haven't actually tried it yet. And I love lentils, so I will have to bump that up as well - I do make a yummy lentil apricot soup :)

Thanks again everyone!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and since starting MFP about a month ago I have noticed that my protein and iron consumption is often below, and sometimes FAR below what it should be. I'm anemic as well, and so I take iron supplements but it would sure help if I could get some more iron in my diet. So if there are any other vegetarians out there, what foods do you turn to to get enough protein and iron?

Look at my food diary. It is open to the public I believe and if not let me know and I will fix that. I am a vegetarian and usually I am right on point for my iron and protein. Only time I am below on protein is when I have had an extreme workout.

I am not a vegan but even the choices of milk products are light calorie cheeses. I do not drink regular milk. I drink soy (vanilla - 80 cals servings). I eat egg beaters 6 days a week at 30 cals each day with an added element of protein. But anyhow review it and see what you think.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on the green bean topic, but mixing green beans (while cooking) with a heaping spoonful of peanut butter. Tastes wonderful and adds protein.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Lentils! Beans! Both are high protein and high iron.
    Check this out....
    www.vegparadise.com it has great info for protein and iron intake. Don't forget to get your b-12 supplement.
    I've been a vegetarian for all 25 years of my life and have been a vegan off and on for a while now.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Luna Bars! If you just can't seem to eat enough otherwise, theses are great (all except the flavors involving caramel, those taste awful). I use them when I've lapsed in my diet and haven't been getting enough iron for a week or more at a time, these and soy protein shakes put me right again in a few days.