What is the Best Time of Day to Exercise?

Options
I would love some input and feedback from the MFP. I've been using the 2 mile walk with Leslie Sansone before lunch and had great results, but just recently a friend of mine told me that the most important time to exercise was upon waking up. I need at least 2 hours and 4 cups of coffee to function, so I was bit curious on what you guys can recommend or advise. Thanksfor all your input, and if your looking for some MFP pals add me :)

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    The best time is whatever works for you.
  • 1Clueless1
    Options
    Paulei, your friend must be a morning person. I'm with lacroyx on this one. People function best at different times. I work out in the morning, but I feel better when I can work out in the evening. It just depends on when your body is awake enough to work out. I don't do well with weight workouts in the morning because I'm not a morning person. Form is sloppy, can't lift as much. That's my lazy time. Do what works for you. If walking at lunch works then go for it. Good luck.
  • GetDemGainz
    Options
    Whenever feels right for you. I can't workout in the morning but have friends who love it. We are all different and our schedules dictate it too. Just get it in and you win!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others here. I tried doing morning workouts for about 2 weeks. They were pathetically ineffective and I was miserable. I workout in the evenings and it works great for me. If your workouts are getting good results, don't go trying to reinvent the wheel just because someone else had a different opinion. If you are not a morning person, mornings are NOT the best time to work out.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Since my workout is outdoors and I live Deep in the HEAT of Texas, I work out either at night or in the early a.m. before sunrise. It may not be the optimal time, but I won't get heat stroke and avoid it all together if I try doing it by any other schedule.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this

whenever you can fit it in.

I occasionaly go at lunch- but most of the time I work out between 7 PM and 11 PM. When is pretty much irrelevant.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    a few of my serious running friends tell me it's best to run right when you wake up too. something about your body being at equilibrium, blood chemistry being at optimal blah blah blah blah......i lost interest very quickly.

exercise when you can fit it into your schedule.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've actually seen some info on a Jillian Michaels YouTube blog- apparently the best time to exercise is whenever you can be consistent. for example- if you can exercise every day at 5pm, then do it, or everyday at 7am- do it. The theory is that your body "expects" the exercise if you do it at the same time. The blog is called "Jillian Michaels daily dose".
  • paulei1975
    paulei1975 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone and I appreciate all the feedback. I'm on my way to check out Jillian's blog .
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    The time that works best for you.

I call bs to the whole "workout in the morning for increased fat loss". They say working in the morning increases your caloric burn but it's nothing magical. You're better off working out at a later time, when you actually have the energy to put in to the work out.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I echo what other users have said - whatever works for you!

I personally like to work out in the AM - I'm in early riser (well, for a college student that is...) and after breakfast and coffee I do my C25k. I have more energy throughout the day and sleep better at night. I also am less hungry.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I tend to run in the morning because, like JayJay's experience in Texas, if I tried to run during the heat of the day here in Florida, I'd probably screw myself up pretty badly. So I run in the morning before the sun gets too high in the sky.

As others have said, the most important thing is to find a time that suits your schedule and your tastes. When I work out in the gym, I often tend to do it after work or in the evenings because, with the military's habit of doing physical training in the morning and people with families wanting to go home after work, I can usually expect the gym on base to be pretty empty. Back in college, I usually worked out between 9 and 11 PM for the same reasons.

Plus, and this may just be me, I find that a workout near bedtime helps me get to sleep. The fatigue seems to help take the edge off so my mind can quiet down.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    THIS!
    :drinker:
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options

THIS
    I think there was some research done at a university...I vaguely remember that the best time for strenuous activity was late morning...early morning produced a higher spike in heart hormones...But that was really only an issue if you were older or out of shape. (thus all of the heart attacks after a snowstorm in the early morning with people digging themselves out to try to get to work.)

But if you are practical in your limits...DO WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU! For me, late night workout. (before bed) WHY? I get home about 7pm, dinner and kids to bed then me time...I get up at 5:30 in the morning and go to bed closer to 11 and sometimes midnight...so there is NO WAY that I can wake up any earlier. I am trying to incorporate more activity at work (Using the upstairs bathroom, walking around on breaks, parking further away from work/shopping/church...)

Do what works for YOU!
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The best time for me is whenever I can squeeze it into my day. If I had to workout at the same time each day I would never get it done. Do what feels good and works for you. Sometimes I'll do crunches and pushups in the bed of my truck while waiting for my son to get out of preschool. Gotta fit them in sometime...
  • nikix123
    Options
    Deffo agree with whatever works for you. I exercise about an.hour after getting up. I tend to make better food choices during the fay if work out early.