I am confused about water's impact on weight

Options
I have a specific target date and weight goal--my Annual physical next Monday. My insurance company offers reductions in medical premiums based on specific targets including BMI, cholesterol, blood pressure etc.

There is a big benefit to being in the "Normal" BMI category. I am right on the edge and 1-2 pounds could make all the difference in big money next year!

I am considering fasting the day prior to the checkup and weigh in at the doctor. I am intending to drink lot's of water that day but I am concerned about the impact of that water on my weight. I gallon of water is 8.4 pounds and I am not sure that is the best strategy.

What advice would you give? What is the general relationship between water intake and weight loss?

Replies

• scottdsexton
    scottdsexton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Can anyone advise on this?
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on this--I can only speak from personal experience.

For me, the more water I drink, the lower the scale number the following day--that's because I tend to bloat and the water helps flush out any extra sodium in my body.

Fasting might help considering you would probably have an empty stomach and intestines at the time of your appointment, but you won't lose 1-2 pounds of fat overnight by fasting.

I would suggest just eating low calorie with lots of fruits, veggies, and drink a lot of water between now and your appointment. If you eat less sodium it could impact your bp and labs as well. Good luck :)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    The more water you drink the less your body will hold in storage. The less you drink the more your body tries to turn into a camel. Also, sodium intake can greatly influence water retention so you need to keep that low. Don't look to make the changes in a days time, adjust your intake now so you know what/how your body will react beforehand.
  • scottdsexton
    Options
    Thanks for information. If I start hydrating heavily today and for next 7 days do you think that would be beneficial in the final weigh-in next Monday?
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I would do some low intensity endurance exercise just before the weigh in, about two hours, with minimal hydration, but nothing extreme, the equivalent of a slow 10 or 15k run. That should be good for a few pounds.

This is only to fool a scale, not a good idea for real, actual weight loss.

Edited to clarify, exercise for around 2 hours as close as possible to the weigh in, hydrate and ingest calories immediately after it is done.
  • scottdsexton
    Options
    Thanks for advice Alan. I will do that. I am committed to long term weight loss and management and I love this site and the advice of posters.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thanks for information. If I start hydrating heavily today and for next 7 days do you think that would be beneficial in the final weigh-in next Monday?

I doubt it, a low sodium diet will have more impact.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

I would say your best shot at getting the ideal water balance before your weigh in is to really start hydrating today and throughout the week. Nothing crazy, like a bit above te recommended amount but not like carry water jugs around with you insane. Keep your sodium intake very low and make it a point to do some high intensity interval training this week. Preferably after your normal workouts. That should get the gears moving in time so to speak.

Oh, and stay far away from booze. Zero. Zilch.