Does Coke Zero Make You Gain Weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Dr. Mercola says yes, diet sodas containing aspertame cause weight gain.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/04/saccharin-aspartame-dangers.aspx
    Quack. You need to read better sources of info.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I don't know apparently Aspartame is the worst thing on the planet and is worse than all the Insecticides they spray your veggies with, or the growth hormones they inject your meat with.. Aspartame alone is responsible for millions of people being lazy obese individuals..

I would say do whatever makes you lose weight
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    'diet' and 'zero' sodas are full of garbage chemicals, don't drink them

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda
    Lol, you do realize that phenylalanine is in all meat, eggs and legumes?And aspartic acid is in some fruits? Should they be avoided too because of these "garbage" chemicals?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    sigh.......................
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    'diet' and 'zero' sodas are full of garbage chemicals, don't drink them

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda
    8351d1339274585t-facepalm-smiley-facepalm.gif

Not exactly a credible source of information.
  • FahadNaseem
    FahadNaseem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    NO !
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This is exactly true! Everything that is added to our foods now are bad for us. So since we can't go back to the 60's and 70's we can only educate ourselves to the best of our ability and know that what "they" say today will only be contradicted by what "they" say tomorrow. Enjoy your Coke Zero. :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    No, because it has no calories, BUT!!!

Research finds there is a correlation between drinking sweet drinks and feeling hungry for many people. Although you will not gain weight from the Coke Zero, you are likely to gain weight due to the increased eating you do because of it.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This is so bad and I can't even believe I am admitting it (so please don't attack me)....my first half marathon I did alot of pre and post training hydration with diet pepsi...on long run days I would get up about 90 minutes early so I could have a big go mug of coffee with artificial sweetener. It did not make me crave sweets though.

I am training myself to like water more, but quite frankly I find water boring.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Only if you put it in your pocket and don't drink it.
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    A can of Coke Zero is an excellent delivery system for 2 ounces of rum. Drink up!
  • CarrieLincoln
    Options
    It's all made with sugar and fake food. Never mind the bloating you will receive from it. All natural food is the way to go. If you have a sweet tooth, which I do also, try eating fruit instead. Go cold turkey with soda habit and with in 21 days you may have kicked the habit! That's how I did it. My body no longer wants or likes soda. Another thing is what is triggering you to drink the soda vs water? For me it was eating sweets and I loved to have a soda with my cake, junk food. Once I stopped the "trigger food" and used my trigger food as a once a week "treat meal" I no longer want the soda. Hope some of these tips help! Have a great day!
  • ChiefsChick4Life
    Options
    These days everything is going to eventually kill you lol.... Die happy and drink your diet soda lol

Seriously! I drink those MIO drops in my water. They have zero calories and it helps me get my water intake, enjoy your two sodas a day.
  • Faustius
    Faustius Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you should treat diet sodas (& "zero" drinks with fake sugars) as 100 calories. While it doesn't directly contribute calories to your day some people say that it induces appetite and other cravings (I know it does for me). Because you see it as a 0, you don't associate a "cost" (i.e. calories) to having one.

So, if / when I have a diet drink, I add 100 calories to my day. This helps me mentally from over indulging on zero drinks as I assign a calorie cost to it. When I want a real coke, I know that a can has 160 calories so I look for something else.

This helps me to "choose" water, which is a real 0 calorie drink.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Is it really good for you? No. If you have a sweet tooth, is it a good replacement instead of eating a cookie? Maybe.

People will argue whether it causes cancer, etc., but if you're drinking a coke zero instead of eating a piece of cake, it's probably not such a bad compromise. However, I will tell you that I went to an emergency clinic for what wound up being kidney stones. Because I'm younger (29), my dr. told me that it was likely due to the aspartame/artificial sugars I was consuming. I have since switched to iced tea (sometimes with stevia) and I don't really miss the coke zero. I'm a firm believer in everything in moderation.
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you should treat diet sodas (& "zero" drinks with fake sugars) as 100 calories. While it doesn't directly contribute calories to your day some people say that it induces appetite and other cravings (I know it does for me). Because you see it as a 0, you don't associate a "cost" (i.e. calories) to having one.

So, if / when I have a diet drink, I add 100 calories to my day. This helps me mentally from over indulging on zero drinks as I assign a calorie cost to it. When I want a real coke, I know that a can has 160 calories so I look for something else.

This helps me to "choose" water, which is a real 0 calorie drink.

First of all, I really like this idea here ^ . I can't drink pop and not associate it with calories.

As with all food, everything in moderation. If you're tracking your calories and can keep from snacking extra, go for it. Whenever I get the urge for a root beer float, I'll make it using diet root beer (preferably IBC, or one of the fancy kinds in a nice glass bottle) and single scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt. Sadly, the last time I tried it, the pop made me sick after nearly a year of not drinking it.

As for the OP initial question, I've found that soda of any sort makes me bloat and gain a couple pounds of water weight. Maybe its the aspartame or the sodium in it, I don't know. If you can, see if you can put down the pop for three or four days and see if your weight takes a quick dip down. If it does, then I guess it means that the cola is making you hold on to a few pounds of water.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Are we really having this discussion again? Are the nine hundred and ninety nine other topics on this same subject not enough? Does anyone know how to search the threads before they post the same question again and again?

Excess calories cause you to gain weight. If drinking artificially sweetened drinks somehow make YOU lose control and binge on other sweet food, then you should probably avoid them and/or get a handle on your personal food issues.

Millions of people have used diet soda to help them along their weight loss journey. If they caused weight gain then I would not have lost 50 pounds. Only you can decide if you want to consume artificial sweeteners. You will find lots and lots of opinions on that topic, just use the search function available.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Dr. Mercola says yes, diet sodas containing aspertame cause weight gain.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/04/saccharin-aspartame-dangers.aspx
    If Dr. Mercola says it's bad for you, let me grab my Coke Zero and take another big, long pull.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Are we really having this discussion again? Are the nine hundred and ninety nine other topics on this same subject not enough? Does anyone know how to search the threads before they post the same question again and again?

Blimey. :huh: