How did you change your workouts once you hit your goal??

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No real reason to change, unless your fitness goals change. Diet is gonna be the difference between losing and maintenance. Though you may improve on lifts, and times on maintenance due to the increased amount of energy available for the workout. So you should be able to increase volume and/or intensity.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I find that maintaining you need to do a little more.. Your body is now use to this amount of exercise and you need
    to shock it some more to tone and look even better.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I didn't change anything. I aim to do 3-5 days of cardio and 2-3 strength training workouts a week, plus a few sessions of yoga and walking. I try to have at least one rest day a week (where I might walk or do yoga, but no running or lifting.) Actually, I'm doing a bit more running now as I didn't run consecutive days when I reached my goal. I'm still getting the same benefits from exercise that I did before, so I don't see any reason to change it.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    my caloric intake increased so i dont have to exercise less
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    I decreased my cardio because I was doing A LOT of cardio (60+ minutes a day)

Now I lift 6x a week, and do cardio whenever I feel like it...but usually not more than 30 minutes.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 10 years. I regularly learn new things. I started with running. Then, tried distance running. Swimming. Heavy lifting. A little Crossfit. P90X.

I'm current doing short distance running with heavy lifting.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Actually am doing more since i hit maintenance a year ago.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Why would you change your workouts, just eat more :)
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    More cardio, less lifting, more food.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not changed much at all really, still doing 3 x strength training and 3 x cardio (mix of low intensity, high intensity & endurance) every week. If anything my calorie burns are increasing slightly as fitness and recovery are improving.

Currently trying a new weights routine focussed on hypertrophy rather than strength but that's more to mix things up than for any other reason.

My workouts have always been about fitness and performance rather than weight loss although the extra calories certainly made a deficit much easier to sustain when I was losing.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight with running as my main exercise. As I neared goal I realized I wanted to be stronger, not just skinnier. So now I do mainly lift weights with some cardio. It depends what your goals are, but I don't think you have to change your exercise if what you are doing is working for you.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My workouts reflect the goals I have for my body. Ultimately, some workouts are just because I love doing those things (like my tennis). But as my focus changes (BF% vs weight loss), I am migrating from cardio and weight training to more weight training, with adequate recuperation times. That way, I give my body a chance to recover and rebuild.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I kept mine the same because I enjoy eating the extra calories. I also enjoy the workouts.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    stop working out
    start drinking lots of booze.

Sounds like the kind of plan I like.....:drinker:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    my work outs stayed the same, only difference is i upped my calories now to maintain...
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think I actually worked out more becasue I learned the benefits of excercise outside of losing weight - it is such a stress releiver and, once you hit your goal weight and hit maintenance mode, the more you excercise the more food you can eat. It also keeps your metabolism boosted.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I exercised the same way but ate a little more
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Once I started maintenance, I started working with a trainer who has been tailoring my workouts to meet my fitness goals. This means incorporating more lifting than I had been doing and mixing up my cardio routines (I used to just run, now I've added rowing, elliptical, stationary bike, and others depending on what he has me working or just how I feel on a particular day.

This was more of a timing coincidence rather than a set plan to do at maintenance, but I find that it really fits well.
  • skeen11
    Options
    Definitely continue working out but maybe switch them up a bit to something more challenging or focusing on toning...
  • TeraTW
    TeraTW Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The first time I reached my goal of 25lbs lost, I gradually stopped working out and fell back into old eating habits and gained 13lbs back! This time I know I need to keep up with exercise for maintenance.