Feeling cold ALL the time

Hi guys.
A funny question for you. I've been feeling really cold all the time, the last year or so, even in the summertime when there's plenty of sun. My doctor told me that it might be because I don't have enough vitamin B, so I've been taking vitamin supplements, but it hasn't helped at all.

I've been thinking about, if my weight loss and the number of kcal that I eat pr. day(1200-1300) might have something to do with it - what do you think? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks <3

Replies

• amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    I actually find that I am often cold after I workout. Not sure why, tend to curl up in a blanket for a while.
  • misshpn
    misshpn Posts: 70 Member
    I actually find that I am often cold after I workout. Not sure why, tend to curl up in a blanket for a while.

Me too!! I'm always cold, but even more so after working out, and I do also sit in a blanket for quite a while, or else I'll get nausea. I've gotten nausea a lot of times after working out because of this haha...
  • I can't speak from experience however I've heard A LOT of people comment on being cold all the time after losing weight. Fat keeps you warm, so you have to adjust when you lose that extra layer of warmth.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    I am ALWAYS cold....but I have always been like that since I was a kid. I haven't noticed a huge change since I lost weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    I have always gotten cold, even when I was 220 lbs. It could just be your makeup, or it could be what your doctor suggested.

That fat keeps you warm is a myth. Up until I was forty, I was proof of that.

I love my blankets, but the way. :bigsmile:
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    I have a couple of conditions which cause me to be cold.

Primary Raynaud's disease is a circulatory issue. Hypothyroidism makes it difficult for me to regulate my body heat. The two combined are a nightmare. When I don't get enough calories and/or when I exercise, I get colder, and it causes my Raynaud's to flare up. Both conditions are treatable, but I'd recommend at least having your thyroid checked.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Did your doctor check your thyroid? Feeling cold is a symptom of hypothyroidism.

It's also a metabolic symptom.. so if you really are eating only 1200-1300, it could be a sign that it is starting to affect your metabolism, and you may want to consider raising your calorie goal a bit.

I've also heard women who have lost more than 30lbs complain about feeling cold more often. If it's just from the weight loss, your body will get used to it.

ETA: Iron deficiency was my first thought when reading your post, but I got distracted typing out the rest. lol Do your vitamins also contain iron?
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    I know for me I get really cold after eating in particular. I talked to my stomach doctor and he stated that it was because your body is focusing the energy to digesting your food and not on keeping you warm.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Def have your thyroid checked. It's a simple blood test. That's the main symptom I had.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Get a complete blood workup. Hypothyroidism can cause you to be cold as can low B12. If you are taking B12 supplements, you need to take the sublingual, as it is more effective.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    If your thyroid is fine, it's probably just lack of insulating fat. At least that's what it is for me. I'm cold a lot now! I used to always be really hot.
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    I'm also noticing it, but attribute it to weight loss. I've been able to move the AC up a few levels and save some energy.

A couple years ago I spent time in the middle east and got very used to running 8 miles four times a week in the hot desert. When I got back, I was freezing anytime it was colder than 80ish degrees. Not cold, freezing. I was wearing a jacket when others were sweating. It took several years for this to change (cause I got fat!).
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Hi guys.
    A funny question for you. I've been feeling really cold all the time, the last year or so, even in the summertime when there's plenty of sun. My doctor told me that it might be because I don't have enough vitamin B, so I've been taking vitamin supplements, but it hasn't helped at all.

I've been thinking about, if my weight loss and the number of kcal that I eat pr. day(1200-1300) might have something to do with it - what do you think? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Every time I start a diet, I feel cold and tired.

I mostly notice it in my mouse hand! :) It gets cold sitting there by itself.

Goes away in a few weeks though.

Steve
  • Feel your pain! I've always felt the cold, but now its crazy! We've had several weeks of gorgeous weather and I've been fine, but now its turning autumnal and its back with vengeance. Most of Saturday I couldn't feel my fingers properly! I wouldn't have the weight back, but I hate this! I get so cold so quickly, without it even been all that cold, and then I get really shivery and take ages to warm up. Like, on health and safety tour of new offices in April we had to go outside -only for a couple of mins and it was about 10 degrees. I was shaking for about 30 mins afterwards - h&s guys offered to get me a survival blanket! 3 hyperthermic episodes last year! I have so many pairs of gloves so I am never without a pair!

I also get cold and shaky if I overdo at the gym. My worst thing is that I get really embarrassed about it, and so just try to leave quickly rather than deal with it. I try to be better prepared now, but still get caught out!
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    I was always so warm, and once I lost weight, I was cold all the time. My husband was shocked that I was cold and that I even bought a jacket, which I had never owned one in the 20 years we have been together, lol. So, with working out, and losing that extra insulation, it's a change.
  • anemia?
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    I would agree with an anemia & thyroid check. The thyroid will most likely come back normal, but most young women have some degree of anemia due to our "monthly friend" & don't get nearly enough iron.

I used to ALWAYS be cold, until I hit menopause & gained weight. I kept my thermostat set on 65 & wore shorts, and told everyone else "to put on more clothes, because they certainly didn't want me taking anymore off!" Now that I've lost 55 pounds & am back at a normal BMI & % body fat, I'm back to feeling cool again. My thermostat is now set on 69-70, which is great when I'm moving around. When I sit down or am really tired (I'm a physician, & post on-call, exhaustion is the name of the game), I find I am back to be freezing again. **Just a little tip, head to your local CVS & pick up a Sunbeam heating pad. They make a great one that is extra big sized & has a soft maroon cover. The nice thing about that particular heating pad is it has multiple settings, including 1 to automatically turn off at 2 hours or 1 to stay on until turned off. If I put in behind me in the evenings set on heat temp of 1-2, I stay comfortable warm & it feels great on tired & over-exercised muscles! The darn thing costs about $50, but is so worth it, and if you read your Sunday CVS add, they will frequently have a boy one-get one free! (I keep one on my bed too!) :)
  • I was always cold at my biggest and still cold now.