Food scale

Options
i recently bought a food scale to weigh my food after i recognised by MFP that i binge in certain foods . could you share your experiences about using it.....

Replies

• ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, I only use mine to repackage meat that I buy in bulk. Cup or teaspoon measurements are a lot easier for me to wrap my head around.
  • sweetgal2301
    sweetgal2301 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I got this scale from Macy's and it has been my savior. I love it ... it keeps me on track and I realized I have been under counting my calories. I used to use cup sizes but they are not accurate. I am very happy using a scale and I recommend it.
  • aszymans
    aszymans Posts: 4
    Options
    I love mine. Keep it handy. For me it was amazing to see how wrong I was on what I thought a serving size was. (especially cereal, cheese, snack foods). What is great is that after a while you should be able to "eyeball" your servings again and not use it all the time.

~Amy
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    My scale helped me to realize that two tbsp of peanut butter wasn't actually half a jar :blushing: Yesterday, I put my spoon into the PB and then put it on the scale and was right on the money, that's how good I am (or how often I eat PB :laugh: )

Also, when a package says ??? cups = ???? grams, it doesn't always match up, especially on dry foods, so it has been a real eye opener for me in getting my portions right.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    It's really good for things like nuts, cheeses, and other calorically dense foods. Totally makes you aware of how your idea of portions sizes may be completely wrong. At least it did for me, anyway.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale on top of the microwave in the kitchen and use it often. We had a friend over for dinner a few weeks back who happens to be a police officer. He looked at the scale and at us..."if that scale had been anywhere other than in the kitchen you would be arrested for drug paraphernalia". LOL We all laughed and I told him to help himself to the fresh herbs in the fridge.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I started using mine a few months ago and LOVE it--I got mine for about $20 at walmart -its digital and does g, oz, kg and lbs. I use it all the time at every meal. It was a real eye opener for actual portion sizes and what amount I should be eating. I am planning to take it camping with me. I tend to over estimate my portions without the scale.